Default Getting a pontoon boat to plane

On Nov 3, 10:27*am, Frogwatch wrote:
On Nov 2, 10:49*pm, Wayne.B wrote:

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 14:54:42 -0400, HarryK wrote:
On 11/2/10 2:45 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 07:44:44 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
*wrote:

Those mods to the pontoons look interesting. *Now, if he went to a
larger engine and added planing strakes, could he expect better MPG or
just higher speed. (fuel flow meters ought to interface with impeller
knotmeters to get mpg).

If you increase speed without increasing horsepower, mileage will
improve.

Wayne...I think the guy has "tapped" out on performance with the engine
he now has.

That may be true but unless they try to get more of it out of the
water with lifting strakes or similar, they won't know for sure. *I'd
agree that more horsepower is probably easier and cheaper but it
certainly won't improve economy under most circumstances - only if it
is now operating "on the hump".

I believe his pontoons are not big enough for the weight so he should
weld planing strakes on the pontoons that are enclosed with extra
floatation. *OR, he could resign himself to cruising at 7 kts to save
fuel.- Hide quoted text -

Or he could get a boat that was designed to plane. I don't have much
sympathy for people that get one thng and then spend a lot of time and
money trying to make it work like something else. I don't care what
you do to a pontoon, any ordinary go fast boat will blow it away on
half the gas.

On 11/4/10 1:01 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 08:04:56 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On Nov 3, 10:27 am, wrote:
On Nov 2, 10:49 pm, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have a pontoon and I agree with you. This is not supposed to be a
speed demon. I like mine because it is a very shallow draft boat with
lots of deck space and very low maintenance, Most pontooners have a
deck full of furniture and end up with a high maintenance boat you can
barely walk around in. They then want it to perform like a bass boat
so they end up putting huge engines on them. The one that really makes
me laugh is they also polish the toons to a mirror like finish. I
can't get them to say what percentage of the time they spend using the
boat vs working on their boat in the driveway. In that regard, fuel
consumption is probably not that big a deal. They only run them 20 or
30 hours a year. That is about a month for me and we are not getting
out as much as we used to.

The few I have seen out on the river here don't seem to "corner" too
quickly...and they seem to need a really wide area while on plane in
order to make a tight turn. Or maybe it's just an optical illusion.

On 11/4/10 3:38 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:06:23 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Mine turns pretty quickly but I don't really go that fast.
I assume if you have strakes and a huge motor you could get pretty
squirrly in a turn but bass boats can have the same problem.

I see the occasional "bass boat" out on Chesapeake Bay. Every time it is
choppy, and it is very often choppy, the bass boats become airborne if
their drivers try to make any speed. Scary ride, too; the boats don't
have much freeboard. Nice boats for a flat lake, though. Too fast for my
taste.
L G L G is offline

wrote:
[...]

My mod-V bass boat slides in the turns. It stays flat, much like a
pontoon. I just have to slow down for a sharp turn.

On Nov 4, 3:38*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:06:23 -0400, HarryK wrote:
[...]

Again, for the 47th time, here's what a properly designed pontoon can
do. Mine is like the white one with the red stripe with the two
bucket seats up front. :-

http://www.pontoons.com/ptx_performa...vantage_video/

On Nov 4, 8:53*pm, Gene wrote:
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 17:27:27 -0700 (PDT), Jack
wrote:

On Nov 4, 3:38*pm, wrote:
[...]

A rose by any other name.... it is a new take on the old cathedral
hull.....

Not quite... Have you ever ridden in a Premier? That's like saying
every V-hull boat is just like every other V-hull. Which, of course,
we all know isn't true.

On 11/4/2010 8:27 PM, Jack wrote:
On Nov 4, 3:38 pm, wrote:
[...]

I can see the practicality of such a boat, but they sure aren't pretty! :)

On 11/4/2010 10:19 PM, wrote:

wrote:

On Nov 4, 3:38 pm, wrote:
[...]

Glad I don't have a dog in this fight ;-)

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/The%20Butt%20Ugly.jpg

Now that looks like every pontoon boat I've ever seen, though I haven't
seen many.

On Nov 4, 3:38*pm, wrote:
[...]

That is a fine looking boat. I'm astonished at the maneuravibility of the thing.
It wouldn 't do on the Chesapeake, but it would be great on Lake Anna.
--

Hope you're having a great day!

John H

Stanley 12-508 Replacement Block Plane Iron Cutter for Plane #12-331 [email protected] Cruising 0 May 22nd 09 11:49 AM
Ground Plane for aluminum boat Hanz Schmidt Electronics 16 July 8th 07 01:57 PM
Engine stumble, backfire, boat won't plane... Paul General 7 September 10th 06 12:24 AM
Boat won't get on plane dixon General 3 December 6th 04 03:20 PM
Boat looses plane? ReevesJ32 General 4 July 11th 03 12:29 AM