jim

Default flushing question mercruiser alpha 1

Hello,

Just reading the manual on my 2001 Mercruiser 3.0 and its sorta
confusing when it comes to flushing the engine. Has some "salt water"
connectors, blue hoses, etc. Can I just simply flush with the muffs on
for like 5-10 minutes with the engine running?\

TIA!

noah

On 24 Sep 2003 20:42:37 GMT, jim wrote:

Hello,

Just reading the manual on my 2001 Mercruiser 3.0 and its sorta
confusing when it comes to flushing the engine. Has some "salt water"
connectors, blue hoses, etc. Can I just simply flush with the muffs on
for like 5-10 minutes with the engine running?\

TIA!

Same engine and outdrive I have on my Starcraft. If your's is set up
for salt water, with fresh water cooling, then the muff's won't flush
the fresh water side. You may basically have a "heat exchanger",
where engine heat is transfered to a fresh water system, through the
exchanger, and then to salt water from the lower unit pump.

Does your manual describe this?
Do you have a heat exchanger on the engine?

If so, you will need to flush the fresh water side seperately.

....carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.
Floyd in Tampa

Can I just simply flush with the muffs on
for like 5-10 minutes with the engine running?\

Same engine and outdrive I have on my Starcraft. If your's is set up
for salt water, with fresh water cooling, then the muff's won't flush
the fresh water side. You may basically have a "heat exchanger",
where engine heat is transfered to a fresh water system, through the
exchanger, and then to salt water from the lower unit pump.

Does your manual describe this?
Do you have a heat exchanger on the engine?

If so, you will need to flush the fresh water side seperately.

If he's just trying to flush out the sal****er after each use, why would he
have to flush out the closed freshwater circuit. Aren't the freshwater and
raw water systems isolated?

J K

Do you have fresh water cooling (with heat exchanger) ?
I do on my Mercruiser 260 5.7. During clean water flush, a
hose must be connected to BOTH the muffs and to the engine's
cooling water intake circuit. On mine, a garden hose connection
was added to the engine cooling water intake to make it
convenient to connect clean water to the engine intake during
flush. I have to close the thru-hull cut off valve during
flush, and ALWAYS open that valve as soon as flush is done.

IF you have raw water cooling (without the heat exchanger), then
you only need clean water to the muffs to flush, bcz the engine
cooling water, in that case, comes from the outdrive.

J K

Hello,

Just reading the manual on my 2001 Mercruiser 3.0 and its
sorta confusing when it comes to flushing the engine. Has some
"salt water" connectors, blue hoses, etc. Can I just simply
flush with the muffs on for like 5-10 minutes with the engine
running?\

TIA!

jim

hello,

Ill check my manual but I dont believe I have freshwater cooler. Its on
a '01 Starcraft Islander 2001. I guess Ill just stick to flushing with
muffs.

thanks!

J K wrote:

[...]

CaptMP

Noah sez:
"then the muff's won't flush
the fresh water side. You may basically have a "heat exchanger",
where engine heat is transfered to a fresh water system, through the
exchanger, and then to salt water from the lower unit pump.

Does your manual describe this?
Do you have a heat exchanger on the engine?
If so, you will need to flush the fresh water side seperately...."

Yo Fellas! If your engine is FWC (fresh water cooled) then that means the
engine is being cooled by a mixture of fresh water and anti-freeze. Just like
in your car/truck. Instead of a radiator, like in your truck, you have a heat
exchanger (which is all a radiator is-only it transfers heat to the air) that
transfers heat to the water you are floating in as it is pumped through the
exchanger by your raw water pump.
You can use earmuffs etc to flush the raw water side of the system (water pump,
heat exchanger, exhaust system parts) which is a good idea.
Tell me why you think you need to "flush the fresh water side seperately".
Or at all.
Think!
There is not now nor has than ever been salt water in the "fresh water side"
that needs to be flushed..
Best wishes
Mike
noah

On 26 Sep 2003 03:41:57 GMT, (CaptMP) wrote:

[...]

Mike, I don't have a split cooling system on my I/O. Raw water only.
BUT, on a raw/fresh system, anti-freeze does break down over time, and
loose it's corrosion inhibiting properties. If it was my boat, I
would flush the "fresh" side annually.
Regards,