Macomras

Default Flushing engine stored in Salt Water

I've owned my boat now for close to a year. I keep it stored on a floating
dock or in the water. My question pertains to flushing an engine with "rabbit
ears" (those ear muffs that go over the intake portion of the engine). I find
myself nearly falling in the water to get the rabbit ears onto the engine even
when I fully tilt the engine up. Is there an easier way to flush an engine
that is stored in water? I have a 97 yamaha engine that requires the use of
rabbit ears or some comparable way of flushing the engine (what I mean is there
is no valve on my engine to attach a gardenhose like some of the newer
engines). Any help / tip is much appreciated.
Harry Krause

Macomras wrote:

I've owned my boat now for close to a year. I keep it stored on a floating
dock or in the water. My question pertains to flushing an engine with "rabbit
ears" (those ear muffs that go over the intake portion of the engine). I find
myself nearly falling in the water to get the rabbit ears onto the engine even
when I fully tilt the engine up. Is there an easier way to flush an engine
that is stored in water? I have a 97 yamaha engine that requires the use of
rabbit ears or some comparable way of flushing the engine (what I mean is there
is no valve on my engine to attach a gardenhose like some of the newer
engines). Any help / tip is much appreciated.

I don't recall the exact details, but I do remember seeing a fellow at a
marina in Florida with a pair of flush muffs that had been spot welded
onto a three or four foot metal handle. He was able to slip the muffs
over the water intakes on his lower unit without too much strain on his
part.

You might also want to take a look here. A lot of work, but it might
give you an idea:

http://hometown.aol.com/darenius/yamaha9_9.html

--
* * *