Biffom

Default ICOM m810 open up for ham bands?

I'm looking for any info as to how I can have my ICOM m810 radio
opened up to allow access to the ham bands.

Many thanks,

Carl.
Rusty O

What's an M810? Icom makes a 710 and an 802 but I've never heard of an 810.

Rusty O

Biffom

It's similar to the 802 - but an earlier version. I must admit to
being somewhat baffled by ICOM's model numbering policy.

I found a post on how to open up the ham bands for the 802
unfortunately it doesn't work for the 810.
Doug Dotson

Any ICOM dealer can do the mod for you. Last I
recall it costs maybe $75.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Biffom" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking for any info as to how I can have my ICOM m810 radio
opened up to allow access to the ham bands.

Many thanks,

Carl.

Doug Dotson

Doesn't matter. All rules are suspended in an emergency. Having
a ham enabled rig on board is a good idea even if one does not
have a ham license. Much better chance of reaching a ham than
anyone on Marine SSB in an emergency,

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Jim Foros" wrote in message
.net...
Do you have a valid amateur radio license to use it that way?
"Biffom" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking for any info as to how I can have my ICOM m810 radio
opened up to allow access to the ham bands.

Many thanks,

Carl.

Biffom

Scott Malcom of MTS very graciously supplied me with a PDF of the
instructions to open up the ham bands on the ICOM 800 and 810 models.
This required the snipping of three wires and was a ten minute job. I
can confirm that this worked for me.

Many thanks Scott.

Carl.
Doug Dotson

I'm not familiar with the 810. Must be very old. I have an M710
and all it required is to download a software upgrade into the
rig. No snipping of jumper or diodes.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Biffom" wrote in message
om...
Scott Malcom of MTS very graciously supplied me with a PDF of the
instructions to open up the ham bands on the ICOM 800 and 810 models.
This required the snipping of three wires and was a ten minute job. I
can confirm that this worked for me.

Many thanks Scott.

Carl.

Biffom

Jim,

I have a valid license.

An interesting aside is that the antenna tuner (in my case an at130)
needs to briefly transmit in order to tune to the correct frequency.
This brief transmission (activated when the tune button is depressed)
was also blocked. So even though it's legal to listen on these bands
you can never tune the antenna.

Carl.

"Jim Foros" wrote in message v.net...
Do you have a valid amateur radio license to use it that way?
"Biffom" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking for any info as to how I can have my ICOM m810 radio
opened up to allow access to the ham bands.

Many thanks,

Carl.

Doug Dotson

But only outputs a few milliwatts when tuning I believe. But
you do still need a valid license to work QRP.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Biffom" wrote in message
om...
Jim,

I have a valid license.

An interesting aside is that the antenna tuner (in my case an at130)
needs to briefly transmit in order to tune to the correct frequency.
This brief transmission (activated when the tune button is depressed)
was also blocked. So even though it's legal to listen on these bands
you can never tune the antenna.

Carl.

"Jim Foros" wrote in message

v.net...
Do you have a valid amateur radio license to use it that way?
om...