posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Sailing crazies

In the other thread about falling, I suddenly realized I have known
some true sailing crazies all of who were seriously interesting and all
way beyond the three sigma limit of behaviour. Its like the Neil
Young song where he says "Meet the losers in the best bars and the
winners in the dives". This has really been true as all these nut
cases have either not had boats (cuz they had been confiscated or
wrecked) or sailed really trashed out boats but did some serious
sailing anyway. By contrast, the people I know with nice boats are so
dull they make my eyes glaze over. I once wanted to do my own cruising
guide where I covered the out of the way places with really dive bars
where I could meet and write about these people and their stories.
Anybody else got any sailing crazy stories?