Jim Conlin

Default Resin Injection into soft wood

What Glenn said.

There are good ways to do a repair and there are half-assed ways.
For structural repairs to boats where people will be in water too deep to
walk home when it sinks, methods like infusion with solvented epoxy are
irresponsible.

Ed Edelenbos

BS

--
When replying via email, replace spam with speak in the address.
"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
What Glenn said.

There are good ways to do a repair and there are half-assed ways.
For structural repairs to boats where people will be in water too deep to
walk home when it sinks, methods like infusion with solvented epoxy are
irresponsible.

P.C. Ford

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 00:53:58 -0400, "Ed Edelenbos"
wrote:

BS

Pretty much looks like you are a minority of one 'round here, my
friend.

Why don't you try an experiment on rotten wood and restore it to its
original strength.....or any sigificant strength.That'll be a stronger
argument than name calling.

After that you could raise a few of my dead relatives. I've got some
old scores to settle.
Ed Edelenbos

wrote:

BS

Pretty much looks like you are a minority of one 'round here, my
friend.

Why don't you try an experiment on rotten wood and restore it to its
original strength.....or any sigificant strength.That'll be a stronger
argument than name calling.

Being in the minority doesn't make one wong. Especially with the
statistically small sampling of boat repairers here. Get out in the real
world, friend. There is life beyond the computer screen. And, I have yet
to call anyone a name brother.

After that you could raise a few of my dead relatives. I've got some
old scores to settle.

I guess next you'll tell me they all died on boats repaired with epoxy
saturated wood.

Ed

Brian Whatcott

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 06:45:30 -0400, "Ed Edelenbos"
wrote:

Why don't you try an experiment on rotten wood and restore it to its
original strength.....or any sigificant strength.

Being in the minority doesn't make one wong. Especially with the
statistically small sampling of boat repairers here.

Ed

Repeating your position does not make you right. Without much of a
stake in the debate either way, I am most swayed when I read that
epoxy has 1/3 the tensile strength of wood.
I remember that 1 in 12 splices are specified when epoxy glueing laths
- and that is evidently to increase the glue surface area - to push up
that tensile strength value.

Brian Whatcott

William R. Watt

"Glenn Ashmore" ) writes:

Please pardon a short rant:
I have been participating in this news group for 7 years and in that time
have seen people espousing everything from antifreeze to aspirin to cure rot
and curtain liner to wheat flour to save a few pennies on GRP lay-ups. It
irritates me no end to hear people insisting on short cuts and off the wall
ways to save a few bucks and screw up a job.

Could you please elaborate on the use of asprin for boat repair, assuming
it is being applied to the boat and not the boatbuilder? That's a new one
on me.

By curtain liner do you mean the polyester fabric? I've tried the
ployester drapery moulding, the stuff they use to stiffen the top where
they put in the hooks. It's okay for some places but not as flexible to
apply as fibreglass tape. There is a mix of the drapery tape and
fibreglass cloth imbedded in the polyester resin on my 12 foot, 25 pound
plywood Delta boat. Neither fibre has given any trouble so far.

I've never actually built a carboard boat but if you could somehow get
hold of waterproof cardboard I bet it would make a great boatbuilding
material for lightweight canoes and kayaks.

By way of a reminder, we are not all building 50 foot offshore cruisers
costing more than the average family residence to pass on to our
granchildren as artifacts of consicuous consumption. Or making our living
off people who do.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

"Ed Edelenbos" ) writes:
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
. We have succeeded in chasing off all the pros End rant:

With pointless little self serving rants I assume.

Moulded fibreglass has made of boatbuilding a very competiive low-margin
business. Boatyards are not even located on high priced waterfront
property anymore, but in municipal industrial parks. The pros who posted
here may very well have gone out of business or got tired of people
questioning the obvious self-interest of some in posting here. Others have
their own websites with forums where they control the content.
Contrary to GA's rant not all of the people who make a living off
boatbuilding have desterted the newsgroup. There is not the voume of mass
produced wooden boats to support a whole wooden boatbuilding industry any
more. It's very low volume. The economics of moulded boats supports mass
production, not custom work. In fact the economics of mass production has
also eliminated a lot of custom building in such areas as automobiles and
houses. You can still save money building your own house or boat, or spend
a lot of money on having one custom built if you can afford it. But it's
not like it used to be or like nostalgic sentimentalists like to believe
it still is.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
DSK

"Glenn Ashmore" writes:
Please pardon a short rant:
I have been participating in this news group for 7 years and in that time
have seen people espousing everything from antifreeze to aspirin to cure rot
and curtain liner to wheat flour to save a few pennies on GRP lay-ups. It
irritates me no end to hear people insisting on short cuts and off the wall
ways to save a few bucks and screw up a job.

Well, not every boat has to be built better than a Swan or Hinckley, but
in general I agree.

In a discussion with a local hobby boatbuilder recently, I suggested
using foam core instead of plywood w/ fiberglass skins, since it would
be much much lighter and not prone to rot; and only slightly more
expensive. I think the "slightly more expensive" is in the eye of the
beholder, but he acted as though my suggestion were both a personal
insult and a blasphemy against his religion.

The trick is to show that while aspirin/wheat flour/shower curtain boats
can float, and be fun, they're not really strong enough for many
applications; and let people make their own decisions.

William R. Watt wrote:
Could you please elaborate on the use of asprin for boat repair, assuming
it is being applied to the boat and not the boatbuilder? That's a new one
on me.

By curtain liner do you mean the polyester fabric? I've tried the
ployester drapery moulding, the stuff they use to stiffen the top where
they put in the hooks.

For what, peel ply?

... It's okay for some places but not as flexible to
apply as fibreglass tape. There is a mix of the drapery tape and
fibreglass cloth imbedded in the polyester resin on my 12 foot, 25 pound
plywood Delta boat. Neither fibre has given any trouble so far.

What about just using Wal-Mart bed sheets for laminating?

I've never actually built a carboard boat but if you could somehow get
hold of waterproof cardboard I bet it would make a great boatbuilding
material for lightweight canoes and kayaks.

Where ya been? There was a thread on a cardboard boat building contest
here just a little while ago. Pictures, too.

By way of a reminder, we are not all building 50 foot offshore cruisers
costing more than the average family residence to pass on to our
granchildren as artifacts of consicuous consumption. Or making our living
off people who do.

Even with a smiley, that's a little over the top. Glenn is a nice guy,
undeniably a top craftsman, and he's gone out of his way to help people
around here.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

William R. Watt

Even with a smiley, that's a little over the top. Glenn is a nice guy,
undeniably a top craftsman, and he's gone out of his way to help people
around here.

Even nice guys can have expensive tastes.

If GA were a cash-strapped fisherman, recreational or commercial, he would
sing a different tune.

It's not rec.boats.building.luxury
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Roger Derby

Besides, he can always radio the Coast Guard to come bail him out on our
nickel. Does England still have the scheme where their "coasties" are by
subscription only?

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm