kisero

Default Aluminiun 40' design/construction issues.

Hi all,

does anyone knows about alumiunium sailboats construction related
issues? im plannign to invest on a 40 foot long sailboat.

ive searched along the internet for designs + construction issues , but
i did not get much...ive sailed some years, i think i got some ideas,
but i clearly need some expert on the field.

any ideas?

- low cost aluminiun construction countrys/regions?
- good internet-available oceanic sailboats designs
- books, etc?

thanks all , really nice group.
bye bye

Roger Derby

You probably found http://trawler.ca/aluminum.htm which discusses some of
the issues.

The Benford Design Group has prepared many designs in a great variety of
materials.
PO Box 447
St. Michaels, MD 21663
(410) 745-3235

I bought their stock plans for Badger, 34' live aboard dory, not aluminum,
and Jay Benford was quite friendly about answering questions. (Note: this
was ten years ago.) He offered to set me up with builders who'd do a good
job.

They've published a number of books/catalogs in conjunction with Tiller
Publishing http://www.tillerpublishing.com/inde...buildrigg.html

Their "Designs and Services" pamphlet includes a discussion of various
materials. Aluminum gets a full page. While only a landing craft is
specified as designed for aluminum (in the 40' size range), a conversion
chart suggests that any of their designs can be converted to aluminum.

If you've settled on a design, call the designer. If you haven't, then pick
a reputable one and spend a bit for consulting. It will be a bargain in the
long run.

Roger

http://derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm

"kisero" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

does anyone knows about alumiunium sailboats construction related
issues? im plannign to invest on a 40 foot long sailboat.

ive searched along the internet for designs + construction issues , but
i did not get much...ive sailed some years, i think i got some ideas,
but i clearly need some expert on the field.

any ideas?

- low cost aluminiun construction countrys/regions?
- good internet-available oceanic sailboats designs
- books, etc?

thanks all , really nice group.
bye bye

Bill

It is popular with the French to build in Al. Long distance sailing is quite
popular also and the two go together.

Previously, I owned a French built Al sloop. The hull was very well done and
the boat was built with safety in mind.

You have to be careful with the electrical system, but I have seen Al boats
over 25 years old with hulls as good as new. You should insulate hull.

A couple of years ago a hurricane came through and destroyed quite a few
boats. I drove up to a marina and there was an Al sailboat still tied up. It
looked like superman had taken a hammer to it, but it was still floating.

There is a book about building in metal, but I can't remember the reference.

People use to say that you can't find people to repair Al in far off places,
but I think that has changed

Because of people in the US of A not really knowing about Al for boats, you
can find good deals in buying am Al vessel - although with the weak dollar
now, that may not be the case for foreign vessels. However, you will have
the same problem when selling it.

Good Luck

Bill

kisero" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

does anyone knows about alumiunium sailboats construction related
issues? im plannign to invest on a 40 foot long sailboat.

ive searched along the internet for designs + construction issues , but
i did not get much...ive sailed some years, i think i got some ideas,
but i clearly need some expert on the field.

any ideas?

- low cost aluminiun construction countrys/regions?
- good internet-available oceanic sailboats designs
- books, etc?

thanks all , really nice group.
bye bye

Roger Mcmillan

Check out www.stadtdesign.com. Van de Stadt is one of the oldest design
firms in Europe (based in Holland) and they have a range of designs from
about 25ft to about 60ft, available as fast-build hard chine or round chine
aluminum, either from plans, kits or as completed hulls.

I've just ordered a 37ft Forna kit from them (due to be delivered at the end
of May) and was about to join this newsgroup when I saw your post. I'll be
posting a couple of questions under their own headings, which may also help
you.

Cheers

Rogermac