posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default What did these sailors do wrong?

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/stori...642a3b1 .html

Anybody know if this storm was well-predicted?
A fluke?
How would a Mac 26M fare in these situations?
If the boat isn't sinking, when would you send the distress signal?

--Vic
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Vic Smith wrote in
:

Anybody know if this storm was well-predicted?

It's been going on for days and is very well reported, here in
Charleston. Trucks are being warned to stay off the high bridges. Winds
were 50 mph here, yesterday and about the same, today.

A front off New England is pushing this low backwards down the East
Coast. Seas offshore of Charleston are over 30 feet high, according to a
local radio station, this morning. Airplanes are landing with big crab
angles at the airport as it's blowing between runway headings. The sky
is clear, but 50% pop tonight and tomorrow as it approaches us.

They had no business being out there, even in clear weather! This
statement from the webpage says it all:

"a couple in their 70’s and a 40-year-old woman who were stranded 200
miles out to sea."

IN THEIR 70'S?! COME ON! How stupid is that, offshore 200 miles with NO
YOUNG, STRONG BACKS ABOARD?!!

As long as rich stupids like these are buying boats, I still say
LICENSING should be mandatory. You want to sail...fine. You take the
course, TAKE THE PHYSICAL TO SEE IF YOU REALLY BELONG OUT THERE (no
matter what YOU think), then, if you pass all the REQUIREMENTS....then,
we issue you a LICENSE, we can revoke when you are too old, to PREVENT
YOU from endangering the lives of young rescue swimmers, helo crews and
boat crews just because you are too stupid and pig headed to see you are
too old to go "out there" without enough MUSCLE and ENDURANCE for that
worst case scenario you should be REQUIRED to be prepared for.

NOONE IN THEIR 70'S NEED APPLY! They should be PASSENGERS of ABLE
SEAMEN!

Larry
--
This spammer called my cellphone:
First American Payment
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 08 May 2007 07:06:46 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/stori...642a3b1 .html

Anybody know if this storm was well-predicted?
A fluke?

As of Friday morning, May 4, it was forecasted as a developing low
pressure system with sustained winds over 30 kts. Hardly a surprise
to anyone who was paying attention.

How would a Mac 26M fare in these situations?

Your guess is as good as anyone else. No one in their right mind
would go off shore in a boat not designed for that kind of use.

If the boat isn't sinking, when would you send the distress signal?

If you have people seriously injured there isn't much choice. Boats
are usually tougher than people, and broken ribs, dehydration, or
hypothermia can all be life threatning.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

wrote:

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/stori...642a3b1 .html

Anybody know if this storm was well-predicted?

Yes, WELL predicted.

Locally, trips offshore have been cancelled since Friday.... and
starting Saturday, hurricane force winds with seas increasing to 24-34
feet. Judging from the weather reports, I wouldn't wan to be out there
until this Friday.

I can only guess that the coasties got their chimes rung, too, while
trying to save those nitwits.

Yeah, you wonder why somebody would get caught in those seas if it
was entirely avoidable.

--Vic
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

wrote:

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/stori...642a3b1 .html

Anybody know if this storm was well-predicted?
A fluke?

As of Friday morning, May 4, it was forecasted as a developing low
pressure system with sustained winds over 30 kts. Hardly a surprise
to anyone who was paying attention.

How would a Mac 26M fare in these situations?

Your guess is as good as anyone else. No one in their right mind
would go off shore in a boat not designed for that kind of use.

If the boat isn't sinking, when would you send the distress signal?

If you have people seriously injured there isn't much choice. Boats
are usually tougher than people, and broken ribs, dehydration, or
hypothermia can all be life threatning.

There were broken ribs in one case here. And the seas were pretty
vicious from all accounts. I guess I asked this because I've seen
accounts where some ride it out while others decide - with no injuries
- to pack it in, leaving their vessels for salvors.
Probably too individual a thing to answer unless you've gone through
it.
And maybe, despite all efforts, I could get caught in a similar
situation, and I'm thinking that there are some measures of
preparedness that could help ride it out. Sea anchors, harnesses,
topside liferafts that would deploy if the boat sank, personal
EPIRB's, etc. Could be that preparedness would lessen the urge
to abandon.
Just hate the thought of abandoning a boat and putting the coasties at
risk when it's not a vital need.

--Vic

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 08 May 2007 12:44:49 +0000, Larry wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
:

[...]

Can't argue with most of that, and won't with any.

--Vic

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
http://www.wvec.com/news/local/stori...642a3b1 .html

Anybody know if this storm was well-predicted?
A fluke?
How would a Mac 26M fare in these situations?
If the boat isn't sinking, when would you send the distress signal?

--Vic

You'd be dead in short order. Have any idea what it like to exist inside a
washing machine, only with drawers and shop objects flying around?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Larry" wrote in message
IN THEIR 70'S?! COME ON! How stupid is that, offshore 200 miles with NO
YOUNG, STRONG BACKS ABOARD?!!

As long as rich stupids like these are buying boats, I still say
LICENSING should be mandatory. You want to sail...fine. You take the
course, TAKE THE PHYSICAL TO SEE IF YOU REALLY BELONG OUT THERE (no
matter what YOU think), then, if you pass all the REQUIREMENTS....then,
we issue you a LICENSE, we can revoke when you are too old, to PREVENT
YOU from endangering the lives of young rescue swimmers, helo crews and
boat crews just because you are too stupid and pig headed to see you are
too old to go "out there" without enough MUSCLE and ENDURANCE for that
worst case scenario you should be REQUIRED to be prepared for.

NOONE IN THEIR 70'S NEED APPLY! They should be PASSENGERS of ABLE
SEAMEN!

Larry

Well, that's the Nanny State solution, sure. The Free Citizen solution would
be more along the lines of, "Go and do what you want. But if you get into a
world of hurt and want to be rescued, you will receive a bill for our
services."

Nah, can't have that. Too much freedom.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 8 May 2007 07:23:16 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.wvec.com/news/local/stori...642a3b1 .html

Anybody know if this storm was well-predicted?
A fluke?
How would a Mac 26M fare in these situations?
If the boat isn't sinking, when would you send the distress signal?

--Vic

You'd be dead in short order. Have any idea what it like to exist inside a
washing machine, only with drawers and shop objects flying around?

No, never tried that. Are the drawers just dungarees or the wooden
kind that slide into cabinets? Are the shop objects rags or drill
presses and bench grinders? These are compelling questions.

--Vic

On May 8, 5:44 am, Larry wrote:
Vic Smith wrote :

[...]

There's no absolute age when you no longer belong on the water.

One of the saltiest and most capable boaters I ever knew was cruising
his 38-footer until a week before he died. In fact, we were with him
when he started having chest pains one evening at the Silverdale town
dock. We took him to a hospital to get checked out. That was the
beginning of the end for him, he didn't survive the angioplasty
operation the following week. He was 83 or 84, and his wife a couple
of years younger.

Two other friends of mine are enroute to Alaska right this minute
aboard their 48-foot DeFever. He's 81 and runs the boat, she's 62 or
63. They are running a blog called Big Brivet's Big Adventure ("Big
Brivet" is the name of their boat).

On the other hand, my father is in his late 70's. He would have no
business aboard a boat, even as a passenger. He's got a leg and hip
that was messed up pretty badly in an auto accident 30-40 years ago
and he thought he would
just "tough it out" rather than get it fixed. He limped for a long
time, but now he can't get around without a walker.