TORMAC53

Default paint system for metal boat

I have a 16 year old metal hull sailboat. The hull is in great shape. However,
the paint system underwater is starting to fail. There are blisters forming
between the fairing compound and the epoxy coating that is on the hull.
I have the time to have the hull sandblasted and painted properly,including
refairing the hull. I would like some of the builders here to tell me how they
finnished off thier hulls. Most yards around here handle fiberglass and don't
know where to start on a steel hull.
Please be specific with what paint system and what coatings you used and how it
did. I would like to get 16 more years out of this job.
Bob Glennon
Steve

I don't have a steel hull boat but have worked in ship and boat yard.

You are correct about the knowledge and abilities of most boat yards. I
recommend that you find a boat yard that works primarily with commercial
vessels but can handle a pleasure boat..

You don't mention what region you are in.. My experience has been on the
west coast and So. Calif. If your in that region I could recomend a good
yard and a paint system..

The boat yard I recommend is South Bay Boat Yard in San Diego and my
preference is with Pro Line paint systems and especially the technical
support of their commercial sales staff.. If you get a yard that is willing
to work with you and the Pro Line paint system, your problem is solved..

The yard will arrange for the sandblasting to be done by a experienced sub
contractor.. The paint vendor will specify the surface condition,
humidity/temp. conditions, etc. While the paint is being applied, they may
even check the mil thickness between coats.. The paint vendor and the yard
applying it have a vested interest in seeing to it that all is done
properly..

You may find that the yard has a different perference on the paint brand.
Just make sure that you will be getting this type of 'hands on' technical
support and above all a guarantee on the final work..

Good luck.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Julian

"TORMAC53" wrote in message ...
I have a 16 year old metal hull sailboat. The hull is in great shape. However,
the paint system underwater is starting to fail. There are blisters forming
between the fairing compound and the epoxy coating that is on the hull.
I have the time to have the hull sandblasted and painted properly,including
refairing the hull. I would like some of the builders here to tell me how they
finnished off thier hulls. Most yards around here handle fiberglass and don't
know where to start on a steel hull.
Please be specific with what paint system and what coatings you used and how it
did. I would like to get 16 more years out of this job.
Bob Glennon

Try posting on the forums he http://www.metalboatsociety.com
They have a forum specifically for "Paints and Coatings".

- Julian

Paul Oman

Julian wrote:

"TORMAC53" wrote in message ...
I have a 16 year old metal hull sailboat. The hull is in great shape. However,
the paint system underwater is starting to fail. There are blisters forming
between the fairing compound and the epoxy coating that is on the hull.
I have the time to have the hull sandblasted and painted properly,including
refairing the hull. I would like some of the builders here to tell me how they
finnished off thier hulls. Most yards around here handle fiberglass and don't
know where to start on a steel hull.
Please be specific with what paint system and what coatings you used and how it
did. I would like to get 16 more years out of this job.
Bob Glennon

Try posting on the forums he http://www.metalboatsociety.com
They have a forum specifically for "Paints and Coatings".

- Julian

Very common is a zinc primer, epoxy middle coat, and urethane topcoat.

complicating the issue is what kind of zinc primer? organic or inorganic? How about a moisture cured
urethane zinc (or aluminum) primer?

contact me directly if anyone wants to discuss these options in greater detail.

thanks
PAUL OMAN

Steve

Although inorganic zinc is a very good metal treatment in steel hulls, it is
never recommended below the waterline.. Mil Spec. ( I don't know which
one).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Roar Hansen

Hi, Bob!

I have a 44feet steel boat.
Here's what I do from time to time:

Sandblast the hull,
put on 2-component epoxy primer,
put on 1-component zinc primer,
put on 2 coats of good antifouling

and that's it.

Best;
Steve

"TORMAC53" wrote in message
I have a 16 year old metal hull sailboat. The hull is in great shape.

However,
the paint system underwater is starting to fail. There are blisters

forming
between the fairing compound and the epoxy coating that is on the hull.
I have the time to have the hull sandblasted and painted

properly,including
refairing the hull. I would like some of the builders here to tell me how

they
finnished off thier hulls. Most yards around here handle fiberglass and

don't
know where to start on a steel hull.
Please be specific with what paint system and what coatings you used and

how it
did. I would like to get 16 more years out of this job.
Bob Glennon

Skip VerDuin

You might consider joining the Metal Boat Society.
http://www.metalboatsociety.com/
Coatings is a regularly discussed topic.
Back issues will keep you reading for a weekend.

I've used an Ameron system for my preference.

George VerDuin - s/v CIRCE

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 04:23 PM
Where to find ramp stories? designo General 15 December 9th 03 09:57 PM
Dealing with a boat fire, checking for a common cause Gould 0738 General 14 November 5th 03 02:13 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM
engine paint in fuel system David Ward General 0 August 20th 03 04:20 AM