Chris

Default Yanmar 2GMF questions

Hello,

thanks again for all the input on the 27 ft Newport,
I bought it. Now I am back with engine questions:

It is a Yanmar 2GMF, freshwater cooled. What
maintenance do I need to do? It starts and runs
nicely, no problems, just preventive maintenance.

It has seen very little use over the last years,
and probably not too much maintenance either.

On my list is:
- Engine oil
- Oil filter
- Transmission oil
- Fuel filter
- Impellers
- Zinc(s)
- Remove the old fuel from the tank
- Change coolant

Is that all that needs to be done, or am I missing
something important?

And, last not least:
What is the best source for Yanmar parts?

Last question: Is it possible to hand crank this
engine? If yes, is a crank that would fit on the nut
of the flywheel available somewhere?

Thanks again,

Chris

PS: One more rigging question:
I have an extra spare block on a car from the jib block track.
Can I use this one to replace a broken one on the boom?
The fastening is different, but can be made fit.
Rope diameters are the same, I am just nor sure about
working load.

Remco Moedt

On 5 Jul 2005 21:36:52 -0700, "Chris" wrote:

It is a Yanmar 2GMF, freshwater cooled. What
maintenance do I need to do?

http://www.boten.nl/motoren/motoren_....gm-series.pdf

Cheers!

Remco
Marc Auslander

I've always used Mac Boring for parts I can't get locally, and for
repairs I can send out. They rebuilt my transmission when it failed,
and have reconditioned my injectors a few times.

Eventually, you will want to have your injectors reconditioned. Its
easy to pull them - the hardest part is getting the precombustion
chambers out - and send them off to be redone. All the small parts
including the chambers should be replaced, including the chambers if
burnt. You can send them off with the injectors and let them decide.

"Chris" writes:

It is a Yanmar 2GMF, freshwater cooled. What
maintenance do I need to do? It starts and runs
nicely, no problems, just preventive maintenance.

It has seen very little use over the last years,
and probably not too much maintenance either.

Jere Lull

In article .com,
"Chris" wrote:

Now I am back with engine questions:

It is a Yanmar 2GMF, freshwater cooled. What maintenance do I need to
do? It starts and runs nicely, no problems, just preventive
maintenance.

It has seen very little use over the last years, and probably not too
much maintenance either.

On my list is:
- Engine oil
- Oil filter
- Transmission oil
- Fuel filter
- Impellers
- Zinc(s)
- Remove the old fuel from the tank
- Change coolant

Is that all that needs to be done, or am I missing
something important?

Looks good except that I have never found a zinc on our 2GM20F (from
'92). There isn't one on the parts lists I have.

And, last not least: What is the best source for Yanmar parts?

For the most usual things, I just stop at the local marina. I've found
the full spring commissioning kit at the smallest marinas since it
differs little from at least the 1 and 3 GMs.

Last question: Is it possible to hand crank this engine? If yes, is a
crank that would fit on the nut of the flywheel available somewhere?

I don't think so, though someone's probably done it. With properly sized
(1/0 or 2/0) battery wires of moderate length, it'll start on 11.5 volts
on a group 27 battery. Flip the compression levers to get it spinning
first and I suspect it'll start with even less.

We got a 12w solar panel last season. After draining a bad battery to
under 10v, the panel brought us up enough to start by 11 AM on the
Chesapeake during the summer. Depending on your location, your mileage
will definitely vary.

PS: One more rigging question:
I have an extra spare block on a car from the jib block track.
Can I use this one to replace a broken one on the boom? The
fastening is different, but can be made fit. Rope diameters are
the same, I am just nor sure about working load.

Probably not a problem as boom-mounted accessories are usually more
lightly loaded than the jib.

--
Jere Lull
CA

I own a vessel of similar size, was this Newport 27 a local purchase?
What typr of transport did you use?Did you dock on a pre-owned slip?
I am planning on a three month stay in MdR, Any suggestions?

Chris

Hi,

CA wrote:
I own a vessel of similar size, was this Newport 27 a local purchase?

Yes.

What typr of transport did you use?

Within MDR.

Did you dock on a pre-owned slip?

Rented a new slip.

I am planning on a three month stay in MdR, Any suggestions?

Don't know much about differences between the marinas; facilities
mostly include Rest room, shower, washer, dryer.
Some also offer pool, etc.
Prices range from 260 to 350 / mo, more on the 350 side.

Below are some marina addresses from
http://www.visitthemarina.com,
namely
http://www.visitthemarina.com/index....l_boating.html
Check with them for availability and price.

Good luck,

Chris

Marina del Rey is the largest man-made small craft harbor in the world,
with 5,246 boat slips. Owned by the County of Los Angeles, boat slips
are leased and operated by a number of different companies, including
local hotels, yacht clubs, and apartment owners. There is no master
listing of slip vacancies in the Marina. For boat slip vacancy and
leasing info, ask for the Dockmaster at each marina. A "dockmaster"
is in charge of managing, pricing and leasing in their respective
marinas. For other information about boat slips contact the Los Angeles
County Department of Beaches & Harbors, 310-305-9503. For boating,
liveaboard and harbor regulations, contact the Harbor Master at the LA
County Sheriff's Office in Marina del Rey at 310-823-7762.

Bar Harbor Marina, Basin C
4242 Via Marina
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-823-4689
Fax: 310-305-1473

The Bay Club, Basin B
14015 Tahiti
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-821-8881
Fax: 310-827-7844

Bell Port Marina Harbor, Basin A
4422 Via Marina, Ste 715
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-822-6800
Fax: 310-822-5858

The Boat Yard, Basin H
13555 Fiji Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-823-8964
Fax: 310-821-0569

California Yacht Club,
Basin F
4469 Admiralty Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-823-4567

Catalina Yacht Anchorage, Basin F
13505 Bali Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-823-3684
Fax: 310-622-6277

Del Rey Yacht Club, Basin D/E
13900 Palawan Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-823-4664
Fax: 310-821-1346
Dolphin Marina, Panay Way
Marina & Holiday Harbor Marina, Basin C/D
13900 Panay Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-578-0566
Fax: 310-578-7569

Esprit Apartments and Anchorage
(previously Deauville Marina)
Basin B/C
13900 Marquesas Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-823-4689
Fax: 310-305-1473
*Currently Under Construction

Marina City Club, Basin E
4333 Admiralty Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-822-0611
Fax: 310-821-9009

Marina del Rey Hotel, Basin F/G
13534 Bali Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-301-1000
Fax: 310-301-8167

Marina Fuel Dock, Basin A
13800 Bora Bora Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-823-2444
Fax: 310-305-1636

Mariners Bay, Basin D/E
14000 Palawan Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-822-2001
Fax: 310-822-4840
Neptune Marina,
Basin B
14126 Marquesas Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-823-4555
Fax: 310-827-5536

Pier 44/Dock 77,
Basin G
13575 Mindanao Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-823-4593
Fax: 310-822-4266
*Dry Dock Storage Services

SMYC Marina, Basin G
13589 Mindanao Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-823-2252
FAX: 310-827-9144

Tahiti Marina, Basin A/B
13900 Tahiti Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-823-4504
Fax: 310-301-6535

Villa del Mar Marina,
Basin C
13999 Marquesas Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-823-4644
Fax: 310-822-9468

Windward Yacht Repair,
Basin H
13645 Fiji Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310-823-4581
Fax: 310-306-0067

Burton Chace Park Guest Dock Slips ^
Public ^
Overnight slips (daily fee) and 4-hour (free) Guest Docks for visitors
are available on a first-come, first-serve basis in Chace Park.
Visitors must register in the Guest Dock Office in the Community Bldg.
located in the center of the park. Open 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. daily.
For info call Guest Dock Office at 310-305-9595.

Length of Stay: Seven day maximum stay within a (30) day period is
permitted. Checkout time is 12 noon on the last paid day.

Fees: Rate: $.50/ ft. per night; Min. fee is $8.00. Slip fees must be
paid at time of arrival. Cash, credit cards and checks are accepted.
Fee includes access code for use of bathroom and shower facilities.