Default Getting a pontoon boat to plane

A friend of mine built a custom pontoon boat roughly 34' long with
beautiful woodwork. It is powered with a 90 hp and he claims he had
the prop pitched by an expert. He attains 18 mph so he is planing
some but gets very bad fuel economy, I'd estimate 1 mpg. Underway,
most people sit on the foredeck so she probably is bow heavy. Is
there some way to get her to plane better? He does have one of those
Dol-Fin things on the motor but I think he needs more planing surface
along the pontoons.

On 11/1/10 11:15 AM, Frogwatch wrote:
A friend of mine built a custom pontoon boat roughly 34' long with
beautiful woodwork. It is powered with a 90 hp and he claims he had
the prop pitched by an expert. He attains 18 mph so he is planing
some but gets very bad fuel economy, I'd estimate 1 mpg. Underway,
most people sit on the foredeck so she probably is bow heavy. Is
there some way to get her to plane better? He does have one of those
Dol-Fin things on the motor but I think he needs more planing surface
along the pontoons.

This might do it:

http://tinyurl.com/367x6pm

I don't know what a custom 34' pontoon boat weighs, but I'm guessing two
tons or more. That's a lotta weight and length for a 90 hp outboard to
"plane better." I doubt a lower unit wing is going to make a difference.

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 08:15:54 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

He does have one of those
Dol-Fin things on the motor but I think he needs more planing surface
along the pontoons.

How is the running attitude - level, bow down, stern down? What about
the size of the wake? If he's throwing a big wake and plowing a lot
of water, he may need more power to get it on top. 90 hp is not much
power for a boat that size. Many guys are running 90 hp on much
smaller pontoons.

We have some really big pontoons around here, 50 to 60 ft, used for
running tours. They usually have a pair of 200s or more.

On Nov 1, 11:15*am, Frogwatch wrote:
A friend of mine built a custom pontoon boat roughly 34' long with
beautiful woodwork. *It is powered with a 90 hp and he claims he had
the prop pitched by an expert. *He attains 18 mph so he is planing
some but gets very bad fuel economy, I'd estimate 1 mpg. *Underway,
most people sit on the foredeck so she probably is bow heavy. *Is
there some way to get her to plane better? *He does have one of those
Dol-Fin things on the motor but I think he needs more planing surface
along the pontoons.

Maybe one of these would be the ticket?

http://www.pontoonwaterglide.com/index.asp

Factory "performance" pontoons typically have lifting strakes which
help the toon plane. In their most basic form, think of taking angle
iron (a piece of L shaped metal) and welding it to each side of the
toons maybe a quarter of the way up the side, giving them some flat
sutface area on each side, thereby increasing the lift. That would be
tough to add to an existing toon.

On Nov 1, 11:15*am, Frogwatch wrote:
A friend of mine built a custom pontoon boat roughly 34' long with
beautiful woodwork. *It is powered with a 90 hp and he claims he had
the prop pitched by an expert. *He attains 18 mph so he is planing
some but gets very bad fuel economy, I'd estimate 1 mpg. *Underway,
most people sit on the foredeck so she probably is bow heavy. *Is
there some way to get her to plane better? *He does have one of those
Dol-Fin things on the motor but I think he needs more planing surface
along the pontoons.

Wouldn't happen to be this guy, would it?

http://www.pontoon.net/fusetalk/foru...VIEWTMP=Branch

That's just amazing.

On Nov 1, 12:42*pm, I am Tosk wrote:
In article 684491dd-d398-4420-9784-
,
says...

[...]

I like the setup someone (forget which poster) has on that fast toon...
Down at the same lake as Tom iirc. Anyway, the strake is only on the
inside of the outboard toons so it can get lift on takeoff and plane,
but still corner like a round chine hull with no strake on the outboard
edges of the toon...

That's my Premier you're thinking about. It's not the fastest in a
straight line, but I believe it's the most maneuverable pontoon. I
can sling a kid off a tube in a heartbeat! :-

On Nov 1, 12:47*pm, Jack wrote:
[...]

This is in Florida. The boat seems to be almost completely level at
speed. She does have "lifting strakes" but I think she needs more.
She does sit too low in the water I think. I re-calced the MPG and
got 1.7 mpg. I do not know the pontoon shape underwater.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
He does have one of those
Dol-Fin things on the motor but I think he needs more planing surface
along the pontoons.

How is the running attitude - level, bow down, stern down? *What about
the size of the wake? * If he's throwing a big wake and plowing a lot
of water, he may need more power to get it on top. * 90 hp is not much
power for a boat that size. * Many guys are running 90 hp on much
smaller pontoons.

We have some really big pontoons around here, 50 to 60 ft, used for
running tours. * They usually have a pair of 200s or more.

I was gonna say. 90 hp on a 34' loaded w/ people on the bow end?

it seems a chore for my 30' with an old 85 hp 2-stroke. But I can't
imagine that rig.

Mine sucks gas, too, so Frog's friend shouldn't feel too bad. Yeah,
he needs twins or a conversion.
Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 1, 5:51*pm, W1TEF wrote:
On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 11:36:59 -0400, HarryK wrote:
On 11/1/10 11:15 AM, Frogwatch wrote:
A friend of mine built a custom pontoon boat roughly 34' long with
beautiful woodwork. *It is powered with a 90 hp and he claims he had
the prop pitched by an expert. *He attains 18 mph so he is planing
some but gets very bad fuel economy, I'd estimate 1 mpg. *Underway,
most people sit on the foredeck so she probably is bow heavy. *Is
there some way to get her to plane better? *He does have one of those
Dol-Fin things on the motor but I think he needs more planing surface
along the pontoons.

This might do it:

http://tinyurl.com/367x6pm

I don't know what a custom 34' pontoon boat weighs, but I'm guessing two
tons or more. That's a lotta weight and length for a 90 hp outboard to
"plane better." I doubt a lower unit wing is going to make a difference.

This would do it.

http://tinyurl.com/29cbqav*:)

It should....

On 11/1/2010 10:52 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 18:38:06 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Nov 1, 5:51 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 11:36:59 -0400, wrote:
[...]

This is what the boys over on Pontoon forum are doing

http://www.pontoonforums.com/download/file.php?id=3386

http://www.pontoonforums.com/download/file.php?id=3390

http://www.pontoonforums.com/download/file.php?id=3018

http://www.pontoonforums.com/download/file.php?id=3019

Don't see too many pontoon boats out on LI Sound. :)

Stanley 12-508 Replacement Block Plane Iron Cutter for Plane #12-331 [email protected] Cruising 0 May 22nd 09 11:49 AM
Ground Plane for aluminum boat Hanz Schmidt Electronics 16 July 8th 07 01:57 PM
Engine stumble, backfire, boat won't plane... Paul General 7 September 10th 06 12:24 AM
Boat won't get on plane dixon General 3 December 6th 04 03:20 PM
Boat looses plane? ReevesJ32 General 4 July 11th 03 12:29 AM