MarshallE

Default anchor, bow roller system question

Hi,
I own a 1942 83 Ft. Wheeler (80 tons) and am rebuilding the anchor chain
locker. My plans are to add a bow roller for the chain and to guide the
anchors. Of course it has to be strong enough to handle the boat during
heavy storms/hurricanes when boat is anchored out.

Where do I buy these or do I have to have a local shop build one? It will
need to support 2 110 lb. plows and 600 ft of BBB 1/2" chain per anchor.

Currently the boat has a wood bulwarks that is rotten. One thought is to
remove this to the deck and go back with SST piping and add a bow pulpit.

For sure I am new to all of these topics and need good advice.

Thanks

Marshall

Skip VerDuin

MarshallE wrote:

Hi,
I own a 1942 83 Ft. Wheeler (80 tons) and am rebuilding the anchor chain
locker. My plans are to add a bow roller for the chain and to guide the
anchors. Of course it has to be strong enough to handle the boat during
heavy storms/hurricanes when boat is anchored out.

Where do I buy these or do I have to have a local shop build one? It will
need to support 2 110 lb. plows and 600 ft of BBB 1/2" chain per anchor.

Currently the boat has a wood bulwarks that is rotten. One thought is to
remove this to the deck and go back with SST piping and add a bow pulpit.

For sure I am new to all of these topics and need good advice.

Thanks

Marshall

You might get lucky and find a catalog roller assembly, my bet is you
need a fab shop that can do SS to your drawing. When it comes to the
locker(s), consider fabing something under deck that looks like a small
50-gal drum (select dimension to accommodate the chain) made from 12 or
14ga expanded metal. It will dry the chain nicely if the forpeak is
well vented. Clevis the bitter end thru the bottom to something stout,
also consider inserting something like a garage door balance spring?
Mac

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:18:30 +0000, MarshallE wrote:

Hi,
I own a 1942 83 Ft. Wheeler (80 tons) and am rebuilding the anchor chain
locker. My plans are to add a bow roller for the chain and to guide the
anchors. Of course it has to be strong enough to handle the boat during
heavy storms/hurricanes when boat is anchored out.

Where do I buy these or do I have to have a local shop build one? It will
need to support 2 110 lb. plows and 600 ft of BBB 1/2" chain per anchor.

Currently the boat has a wood bulwarks that is rotten. One thought is to
remove this to the deck and go back with SST piping and add a bow pulpit.

For sure I am new to all of these topics and need good advice.

Thanks

Marshall

I have a couple of pieces of advice about this.

I have never seen an off-the-shelf anchor roller system I thought was
adequate, so I think you should go the custom route. I think you are very
wise to go with all-chain, rather than rope and chain, by the way.

I personally am not a big believer in laying out multiple anchors as a
storm survival technique, so I would urge you to consider using one huge
plow anchor, and maybe even going up in chain size to 5/8". If you have a
second anchor, stow it somewhere closer to the center of mass of the boat,
and use it as a replacement if you have to abandon your first anchor for
some reason.

A light stern anchor can come in handy, too, but not as a storm survival
anchor.

I recognize that not everyone agrees with this, and some people also have
special anchoring situations so they need to keep multiple heavy anchors
on the bow.

My other observation is that chain likes to pile up in a mound with very
steep sides, so the chain locker should be as tall as possible, but
needn't be all that wide, if you see what I mean.

Hope that helps!

--Mac

Steve Lusardi

I agree with the responders, but I wish to add one more thing. You should
never use pipe or tubing in marine construction except for decoration or
hand rails. It is impossible to view the interior and once wet, will not get
sufficient air to properly dry out. Corrosion is a risk, even with SS.
Steve

m...