posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising

Default Ellen MacArthur Now Afraid of the Sea

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...-any-more.html

"It's not as though Britain's youngest dame has lost her nerve or her
skill.
She could have done a Robin Knox-Johnston, challenging records and
pitting herself against the ocean into middle age.

"What happened? "Perhaps it's like loving someone so much but knowing
that you simply can't live with them any more," she says. "I just knew I
couldn't go on as before." She remembers standing at Les Sables
d'Olonne watching the boats in the 2008 Vendée slip away to the start
line when it struck her that she would never compete again. "I knew that
the impossible had happened. My racing years were over. I still felt as
much in love with the sea as ever, but something inside me had grown
to eclipse that passion.

"I could have gone round the world in a boat with the slogan "Use less"
but that would have been just raising awareness. We already know there
is an issue. I want to be part of doing something about it. Persuading
people that to rethink the way we do things is the biggest challenge I've
ever faced, a Herculean task."

"Her conversion started on a trip to South Georgia, a desolate island in
the south Atlantic, where she helped with an albatross survey. "It made
me stop and think. It gave me space and time to see things differently;
to realise things I hadn't let into my head before." The sight of so many
abandoned whaling stations, an industry destroyed by exploitation and
\greed, struck her as a warning. "It seemed as though we had just taken
what we wanted and moved on. That's what we do."

Failure!!! Just like I've always said. But, I will give her some credit. I
also maintained she was just a whore chasing advertiser revenue.
It looks like she finally woke up to that fact and stopped being an
advert whore.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising

On Mon, 28 May 2012 13:44:07 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

[...]

Poor old Willie-boy exhibits his envy for someone who did it, as
apposed to himself, who didn't.

--
Cheers,

Bruce

Ellen MacArthur was right. Wilbur Hubbard ASA 16 May 10th 07 05:30 AM
Ellen MacArthur Scott Vernon General 1 February 12th 05 06:41 PM
Ellen MacArthur Scott Vernon ASA 1 February 12th 05 06:41 PM
Ellen MacArthur Jonathan Ganz ASA 0 February 10th 05 02:32 AM
Ellen MacArthur at it again - finishes almost last Simple Simon ASA 12 December 19th 03 10:46 AM