Rick

Default Cleaning Fiberglass

After a beaching with Katrina and the refloating with Rita I am left with a
boat with a brown scum smile on the side of the boat. The residue is from
mud mixed with oil and diesel from the sunken boats that were not so lucky.

Question is cleaning the hull? My thoughts are open at the present time and
am wondering if the groups experience base can help? Right now the boat is
in the boat yard so access is fairly easy.

Brian Whatcott

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 20:25:39 -0500, "Rick"
wrote:

After a beaching with Katrina and the refloating with Rita I am left with a
boat with a brown scum smile on the side of the boat. The residue is from
mud mixed with oil and diesel from the sunken boats that were not so lucky.

Question is cleaning the hull? My thoughts are open at the present time and
am wondering if the groups experience base can help? Right now the boat is
in the boat yard so access is fairly easy.

Start with Dawn before you get aggressive

Brian Whatcott

Lew Hodgett

Rick wrote:

snip

Question is cleaning the hull? My thoughts are open at the present time and
am wondering if the groups experience base can help? Right now the boat is
in the boat yard so access is fairly easy.

First shot would be with a 3,000 PSI, 5 GPM minimum, pressure washer.

Might think of renting a 10HP unit.

Should do the job.

Lew
Capri

Rick

I've cleaned a lot of hulls in my time but I don't think I ever ran
across a combo of mud, oil and deisel fuel....whew! At least you have
the boat out of the water. Heck, after Katrina and Rita at least you
have a Boat! A lot of what you can do will depend on what the yard will
let you use for environmental reasons. Before spending too much on
some fancy fiberglass cleaners I'd try a good mixture of good old
dishwash soap and water which is generally pretty good for dirt,
grease and oil. good sponges and . a lot of elbow grease. still not
working? Just smearing things around?. West Marine has some really good
Fiberglass cleaners which while not cheap have always done the trick
for me. There is one which is made for non skid decks, It seems to be a
little more "intense" that regular FG cleaners but it really works
well on smooth FG as well. Takes off those inconsiderate black rubber
footwear marks that no amount of soap and scrubbing will seem to
remove. Use sparingly.
While the boat is on the hard don't forget to check for blisters and
fix any if you find them. This might also be a good chance to slap
another coat of bottom paint on.

Cap'n Phil

Capri

Lew, The pressure wash was my first thought too. It would get rid of
the dirt, mud and junk like that. It might be worth a try but I
really dont think it would help a whole heck of a lot with grease, oil
and diesel fues, might move it around a lot but I don't think It
would remove it. For that I really think Rick is gonna have to get up
close and personal.

Lew Hodgett

Capri wrote:
Lew, The pressure wash was my first thought too. It would get rid of
the dirt, mud and junk like that. It might be worth a try but I
really dont think it would help a whole heck of a lot with grease, oil
and diesel fues, might move it around a lot but I don't think It
would remove it. For that I really think Rick is gonna have to get up
close and personal.

My suggestion was based on my next door neighbor who is a tank cleaner,
primsarily in the refineries.

They do most of it with pressure washers incluing a 10,000 PSI unit.

Takes a 300 HP diesel to drive it.

That unit would probably be a tad much for this applicationG, but then
again.

Lew

CGB

Yes, but a 3000 PSI pressure washer applied too liberally can destroy the
gelcoat. He needs some solvent to get the stuff out. Blasting with water
won't get the oil etc. out that's absorbed into the fiberglass. I have no
idea what to use, but I wouldn't blast it away.

Chet

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
Rick wrote:

snip

Question is cleaning the hull? My thoughts are open at the present time

and
am wondering if the groups experience base can help? Right now the boat

is
in the boat yard so access is fairly easy.

First shot would be with a 3,000 PSI, 5 GPM minimum, pressure washer.

Might think of renting a 10HP unit.

Should do the job.

Lew

John K Kudera

I would get some ON and Off Hull cleaner, that is a spray on, brush lightly,
and rinse cleaner. (West Marine carries it,)That should clean the hull
completely . Next, a fiberglass compound if there are stubborn stains, last
a coat of good wax!

"Capri" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Jim Carter

"Rick" wrote in message
After a beaching with Katrina and the refloating with Rita I am left with

boat with a brown scum smile on the side of the boat. The residue is from
mud mixed with oil and diesel from the sunken boats that were not so

lucky.

Question is cleaning the hull? My thoughts are open at the present time

and
am wondering if the groups experience base can help? Right now the boat

is
in the boat yard so access is fairly easy.

Is it possible to hook up the power washer to a hot water source? At my
Marina they use the pressure washer and hot water to clean the hulls of the
brown oily scum from boats that have collected the scum from transiting the
Detroit River. Works great!

Jim

I would get some ON and Off Hull cleaner, that is a spray on, brush lightly,
and rinse cleaner.

"On and Off" is very effective grunge cleaner but I would not spray it
however (read the ingredients list). I wear rubber gloves and wipe it
on with a damp fuzzy pad, followed by a quick fresh water rinse. Very
powerful stuff, be careful with it.