David Ward

Default engine paint in fuel system

"Andrew Heller" wrote in message ...
: My 3.0L mercruiser was bogging down and idling horribly. Just got it back
: from the mechanic with an unusual diagnosis. He found black engine paint
: particles clogging the fuel system. Filter was clogged, and some of it
: worked into the carb. Had to have the whole carb removed, cleaned
: reinstalled etc. Has anyone EVER heard of this happening? He said the
: paint apparently entered the system from around the fuel pump housing.
: Mechanic asked if I painted the engine myself! No, this was clearly the
: factory engine paint job as I've owned this 2000 18' SeaRay since new and
: have only put 75 hours on the engine. Any comments appreciated.
: Andy
:

Here's a couple of ideas that come to my mind - which may or
may not have anything to do with this....
I would say that the only way anything can get into a fuel system is
the same way fuel will come out. If there is no fuel leak at the pump,
then paint chips can't get in that way.
I get paint chips in the filters of my aircraft all the time, and they come
from the pump wonks banging the nozzle on the wing at the fuel
inlet (note: the only opening in the fuel system).
You may also consider that the paint came out of the fuel source
(gas can, dockside pump or highway gas station).
On the other hand, fuel floats made of black plastic stuff (I don't
know what, but it floats) can deteriorate and leave lots of small
black particles clogging up fuel filters... a problem specific to my
job and not necessarily associated with boats.

If any of my mechanics told me that paint had gotten into my
planes' fuel system from around the fuel pump housing, he'd
better be able to show me the hole in the side of the pump, as
well as the gas on the floor.

On the third hand, I'm always looking for another explanation
and refuse to be the be-all/end-all answer to any question....

Dave, listening.

Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM
Inboard won't run above 2800 RPM John M Murphy General 2 August 18th 03 05:27 PM
Priming a jet boat? Ragdoll General 15 July 31st 03 05:02 AM
Excessive Oil Injection (I think) Grumman-581 General 7 July 20th 03 12:05 PM
just want to know ? Joe General 5 July 12th 03 08:34 PM