kuhlhand

Default Starter removal on 1997 3.0L Volvo Penta GM

recently I have been having trouble starting my boat...the starter has
started to act funny...taking a long time to start the engine and even
draining the batteries. I am trying to remove the starter and can't get
a wrench to fit on the bolt that mounts to the engine. Does anyone have
any suggestions on what tool works best to remove the bolt? The bolt is
on the underside of the starter (hard to get to) and stuck right up
against the engine which makes it impossible to get a socket around it.

Please help!

kuhlhand

Gene Kearns wrote:

Without seeing exactly what you have, I'm gonna guess that a starter
wrench or obstruction wrench is your best bet....

Here's a pictu
http://www.dealsonwheels.com/partsan...art_id=1347446

That having been said, your comment that "the starter has started to
act funny...taking a long time to start the engine and even draining
the batteries" sounds a lot more like engine problems than starter
problems.... Assuming good batteries, is the starter turning the
engine more slowly?

Thanks for your quick response and link.

Sometimes when I turn the key there is a hesitation and then it will
act like the batteries are dead by giving a weak attempt to turn over.
Other times it will start right up. A couple of weeks ago I was out and
drained both batteries trying to start it up(the starter was smoking a
little and smelled like burnt wires.) My wife and I flagged down a
couple of girls that were convinced that I had a bad battery (one was
one season old the other was two seasons old and both were freshly
charged) and put the jumper cables to it and it started up like a champ
(kinda embarrassing). The next day I bought a new battery but this
still hasn't solved the issue. I thought I would replace the starter
and see if that was the issue.

MAT

Have you tried cleaning the Battery terminals and the wire terminals. Also,
check for tight connections on the starter ( + ) and a good ground to the
engine block.

Mike

"kuhlhand" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gene Kearns wrote:

[...]

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Wed, 31 May 2006 19:00:47 -0500, MAT penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

Have you tried cleaning the Battery terminals and the wire terminals. Also,
check for tight connections on the starter ( + ) and a good ground to the
engine block.

That is good advice. I HIGHLY recommend that you correctly diagnose
the problem rather than swapping parts.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

In messing with the starter for the last couple of days, I have
discovered that someone else has messed with it before...one of the big
bolts that mounts to the engine is missing, the "ear" that one of the
thru-bolts goes through has been ground off and the washers and nut
that hold the other thru-bolt are gone. When I replaced the battery
this last time I checked all the cable connections to eliminate that as
one of the problems.

Regards,

Kuhlhand

kuhlhand

New starter is in and it works great! I ended up being able to get a
socket on the bolt to get it off. I had to go out and buy a beefier
ratchet and an extension though.

I/O Starter removal Ron General 4 June 2nd 06 04:12 PM
I/O Starter removal rr General 0 May 29th 06 06:15 PM
Volvo Penta Stern Drive DavidK Boat Building 2 March 28th 06 05:53 AM
Volvo Penta Stern Drive DavidK General 0 March 28th 06 03:15 AM
VOLVO PENTA STARTER MOTOR QUESTION Bob Cruising 0 October 18th 05 01:27 AM