Lenny Stover

Default Question about older Mercruiser inboard

Is this group moderated? Can't figure out why this never posted, so I'll
try it again.

"Lenny Stover" wrote in message news:...
1st time poster...forgive my ignorance :-/

Last year I bought my *first* inboard equiped boat, a 1985 Glass Stream.

It
is/was equiped with a '85 Mercruiser 140. Well, the second time out with
the boat, the motor fried. I have been trying for a year to arrange to

have
the motor rebuilt, but it would cost more than I paid for the boat. Now

my
question....

I have been told that my Mercruiser is identical to some car engine. I
don't know how true this is, but am wondering if anybody knows if there is

car engine that is the same as an '85 Mercruiser 140 inboard. Sure would

be
nice if there was a car engine that I could get from a boneyard that would
match up to my lower unit.

Any....and I mean *any* info I could get would be appreciated. The only
other boat I ever owned had an outboard engine and I am stumped about this
inboard stuff. Thanks in advance.

bomar

I don't know what on earth would make you think this group is moderated,
given the 90% white noise from idiotic off topic posts..

Anyway,
The little 140 HP 4 bangers were never used in any automobile.
They are not the iron duke engine that so many say they are.
They are an industrial powerplant - forklifts, etc.
There are scads of good used 3 liter engines around. The damn things are so
hardy they tend to way outlast any boat they were ever installed.
Check ebay, and consider buying some POS boat to get an engine out of.
BTW, just sold an 86 Baja with one of the 3 liters in it......tons of hours,
still ran like a champ.
They really are hardy.

gy.com...

[...]

DjE

I cross my little 140 over to a 1965 Chevy II 153 CID for my oil filter and
spark plugs. All the other doodads are marine items specially made for
Mercruiser (Dist cap/rotor/fuel stuff).

You *should* be able to find a good little 3.0L motor for really cheap.
What happened to yours? Unless the block cracked or it siezed up you should
be able to repair it fairly cheaply.

My 1977 140 idles a bit rough sometimes but is still able to pull 3 kids on
the big "tube/raft" thingy with 2-3 adults in the boat rather nicely. Like
the man said, they will usually outlive the hull of the boat.

-De

[...]

Lenny Stover

Thanks for the responses.

Not sure, but I've been told it overheated. It was the second time I had
the boat in the water, since during my first outing I determined that it
needed a tune up terribly. Tuned it up and was extremely pleased with
myself since I am definately not mechanically inclined. Took it down to the
Illinois River at Morris and off we went. About a half mile downriver, the
engine started making a horrible noise, like a car does with engine run-on.
At the same time, my friend that was with me shouted, "Hey, your motor is
smoking!" I immediately shut it down to a slow idle and limped it back to
the river bank near the boat ramp. Being a complete idiot, I shut off the
motor while I went to back the trailer down the ramp. Motor turns over like
crazy but will not fire, and I have been told that I have no compression in
any cylinders.

Needless to say, everyone at the boat ramp was thoroughly amused watching my
friend and I push/pull the boat back onto the trailer. :-(

[...]

bomar

No compression on ALL cylinders?
I doubt that.
No compression on 1 or 2 I would believe.....cracked head or blown head
gasket.
Demand that the mechanic or whoever it was that told you "no compression"
tell you exactly what the readings are on each cylinder.
Check the oil.....is it milky?
Ya gotta post more info about it that what you just did......
Lot of possibilities...like your impeller in lower unit was toast and cooked
engine.
By chance did you test run it after your big tune up job without muffs on
it?

[...]

Lenny Stover

"bomar" wrote
No compression on ALL cylinders?
I doubt that.
No compression on 1 or 2 I would believe.....cracked head or blown head
gasket.
Demand that the mechanic or whoever it was that told you "no compression"
tell you exactly what the readings are on each cylinder.

Tough to do right now, since I took the boat to Tennessee for storage. But
now you have me wondering,...am I being taken because of my ignorance? I'll
have the compression re-checked in a couple of weeks and appreciate the tip.

Check the oil.....is it milky?

No, it wasn't. I checked that because I have had blown head gaskets on cars
and trucks in the past.

Ya gotta post more info about it that what you just did......
Lot of possibilities...like your impeller in lower unit was toast and

cooked
engine.

I figured the impeller. When I tuned it up, I was amazed that the amount of
water going thru a larger engine was about the same as the amout of water
that passed thru my 10 hp outboard. Guess that should have been my red
flag. Don't know what else to tell you, except when the noise and smoke
started there was a significant power loss. Much like the post by Shawn
Willden that was posted today, I also wound up with a marine engine with
auto parts. Seems the previous owners father was a mechanic, (a matter of
opinion,) and also put a 4 bbl auto carb on this engine. He also put on an
electronic fuel pump and egads it had a John Deere oil filter. I have
been kicking myself in the arse ever since I bought it, so it will not be
neccesary to flame me for my stupidity.

By chance did you test run it after your big tune up job without muffs on
it?

Absolutely not. I am pretty doggone dumb, but even I am not *that* dumb.
On second thought, I did by *this* boat. moan

bomar

In no particular order:

1. How did they manage to put a 4bbl carb on the Merc 140?
2. Nothing wrong with JD oil filters...the Merc ones aren't that great. I
use Hastings myself
3. No comment on using the boat when you suspected poor water flow (I've
done stupid things myself)
4. If a supposed mechanic tells me something- I want specific real world
answers - not general woe and doom responses
5. The electric fuel pump can be OK, if it is tied into a oil pressure cut
off switch
6. Pull the spark plugs (all 4 of them) and examine them....describe exactly
how they look.
7. Impellers fail (just plain wear out) even if never run dry. I replace
mine (including housing) every other year. I have found the water pump
($40) to be somewhat cheaper than engines.

"Lenny Stover" wrote in message
. ..

"bomar" wrote
[...]

Rich

"Lenny Stover" wrote in message
gy.com...
Motor turns over like
crazy but will not fire, and I have been told that I have no compression

in
any cylinders.

Time to re-power. If you have no compression it needs rebuilt or replaced.
I would suspect your exhaust manifolds went bad...

Rich

Lenny Stover

Thanks to everyone. At least I have more information than I did a couple of
days ago. This would be a great group if the OT posts were not here.

Again...thanks for the info folks.

.com...