Default Cosine Wherry Kit

Hi all, 6 month or so lurker here making my first post to the group.

Since Will Dixon has posted about his Cosine Wherry (nice job BTW
Will) I thought I'd post about what I've been searching for.

I got the bug to build a Cosine Wherry for fishing and pleasure rowing
the first time I saw one! So I surfed the net, joined and monitored
this group, and bought the book.

However, for a couple of reasons, I would like to build a longer
version with the expectation that it would carry more weight than the
original. I saw many sites that offered complete kits, but only one
that had an extended version that was not available due to limited
cedar supply(?).

So bacially I have two questions; first, is there an extended version
offered as a kit that anybody knows about? Second, if not, how do I
modify the plans to make one?

TIA,

Jay

Check with Flounder Bay Lumber they have plans for an 18 foot I believe

Brian

Jim Conlin

I think that Flounder Bay is out of business.
I've forgotten who sells the Cosine Wherry plans, but stretching the length a bit is not a big thing. Just increase the station spacing proportianally. I wouldn't go beyond 16'. I've never felt that the kits were a good deal for the money. If you have a table saw and a router table, milling the strips is not a big deal. The plus is that you can control unnevenness in coloration. If you insist, you can buy strips from www.noahsmarine.com or from www.newfound.com.. Call 'em. There can suggest other good designs.
wrote in message ups.com...
Check with Flounder Bay Lumber they have plans for an 18 foot I believe

Brian

Bill

Flounder Bay boat lumber still has their web site up and I think they could answer your questions via Email.
http://www.flounderbay.com/

I had visited the store/shop when I was looking to build the Cosine Wherry, got a full tour of the facilities, great folks to deal with.
They had a loose leaf binder in the store with builder's names and addresses with some pictures of each finished boat if the builder provided some.

Sorry to see them go.
I hope someone as commited to the business takes over.

Bill

wrote in message ups.com...
Check with Flounder Bay Lumber they have plans for an 18 foot I believe

Brian

wrote in message ups.com...
Check with Flounder Bay Lumber they have plans for an 18 foot I believe

Brian

Thanks guys.

I have emailed Flounder bay as their website says they are still in
business. Waiting on a reply.

I do have table saw and router table among many other woodworking
tools available to me, so that is definetly an option.

If I did do it myself, do I increase ALL the stations spacing evenly?
I don't remember offhand if the book Rip, Strip, and Row covers that
issue though I do seem to remember that it did address lengthening (?)
plus cove and beading the strips.

Jay

Hi
If the plans had been from a 3D model ,you could just scale and chose
the one you like best ,but cutting the stations and testing with a real
Spline ( a long strip of wood or metal ) that the lines fit swell
,----- just do it, don't vorry as if Splines fit smooth then ofcaurse
you can plank it.
Still if it was a 3D design, you could ask an application to calculate
"the inbetween" of two very different hulls ; yes if you have two 3D
models you can morph between the two ,you could stretch and scale it do
whatever youy want and then slice the waterlines ,slice the sections
and have it plot full scale.
Still just trust that you will learn from the experience ---- I know
amatures who replaced the intire planking and most ribs in an old
fishing vessel, as long as you don't try cut corners use the right
materials and don't try save stupid having the trouble with bad
materials ,then trust yourself not any Pony.

FS: Whitehall wherry rowing boat in WA state Robert or Karen Swarts Marketplace 0 May 24th 04 05:08 PM
FS: Whitehall wherry in wester WA state Robert and Karen Swarts Marketplace 0 May 14th 04 09:46 PM
FS: Whitehall wherry in WA Robert and Karen Swarts Marketplace 0 May 11th 04 05:19 PM
Wineglass Wherry BB Boat Building 4 January 2nd 04 03:16 AM
WTB: Wherry or Guideboat in NJ'ish area Jeff Metzger Marketplace 0 August 5th 03 03:22 AM