Bob La Londe

Default Jet Outboard / Conversion ?

I recently picked up a Waco 2050-16
http://www.alohapontoons.com/205016.html
Yes I bought it with the options that upgrade to 50HP rating.

I have a 50HP Force that I bought for another project. Don't know if it is
any good. I bought it cheap and it has sat in my shop for almost a year
still in the crate.

Anyway, if the Force doesn't check out I was thinking of looking for a jet.
I see Mercury has a 40HP outboard jet.
http://www.mercurymarine.com/mercury_jet_40
That might be able to push it ok, but after I get the boat fully rigged I
would sure like to have a little extra margin. Also, since jets are less
efficient than prop drives I'm not sure I want to take that big of a
backward step.

Does anybody know of a current 50HP jet? How about a conversion for another
popular outboard. Better yet, if my Force checks out, how about a
conversion for it?

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

www.DiyComponents.com
Buy professional quality components for
DIY Projects

Calif Bill

I think San Leandro Manufacturing makes all the jet legs. You can buy used
legs at times. Check Western Outdoor News classifieds, etc. Was one a
couple of months ago, for 80 hp I think, $1000.
Bill

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Bill Kiene

Hi Bob,

Your Force 50hp will have about 35hp (~30% loss) after you install a jet
pump from Specialty Manufacturing Company in San Leandro, CA. A new a pump
is about $1,500US. They make all the jet pumps you will see on outboards in
the US.

The Mercury you are talking about is a 60hp powerhead that is about 40hp at
the jet. This would be a little better if you are going to have another
person and gear in your boat.

Getting the jet pickup at the exact right height is very critiacal.

Anything heavier than the 60hp outboard would be too heavy for your boat and
cause it to sit deeper in the rear.

I had a 16' Jon boat with a Honda 50hp/35hp at jet and it went very well
with 2 or 3 people.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

[...]

Bill Kiene

Good sites about outboard jets:

http://www.scottandjenn.com/outboardjet/

http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fis...t/jetboard.htm

http://www.outlawmarinejets.com/outboard.htm

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

Bob La Londe

Tnaks Bill. I already found the Biil and Jenn site and the Outlaw Marine
Site. I'll take a look at that other one.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com
All about fishing in Yuma, Arizona