JML

Default Clogged Waste Tank Vent

Does anybody have a "simple" solution to unclogging a waste tank vent? I am
pretty sure the vent must be clogged because even after minimal usage, the
gas releases for a long time as soon as I unscrew the waste removal cap.

Thanks for any tips you may have,

JR North

I'll bet that makes removing the cap like a breath of, well,
never mind. You can maybe probe the vent with a coat hanger,
or if you have a source of compressed air, blow it out. Like
JPS said, bugs like to nest in hull vents. If it's a mud
dauber wasp, it can easily plug it solid.
JR

JML wrote:

Does anybody have a "simple" solution to unclogging a waste tank vent? I am
pretty sure the vent must be clogged because even after minimal usage, the
gas releases for a long time as soon as I unscrew the waste removal cap.

Thanks for any tips you may have,

Peggie Hall

JML wrote:
Does anybody have a "simple" solution to unclogging a waste tank vent? I am
pretty sure the vent must be clogged because even after minimal usage, the
gas releases for a long time as soon as I unscrew the waste removal cap.

First, do not use your toilet again or try to pump out or dump your tank
at sea until the vent is clear...a strong pumpout pulling against a
blocked vent can crack a tank...flushing the toilet enough times can
pressurize a tank enough to crack it.

The two most likely places for a clog to occur in the vent are the
thru-hull and the vent fitting on the tank....especially the vent
fitting if seeing the tank overflow out the vent is your idea of
determining when the tank is full.

Dirt dauber, dust, pollen etc can clog up a thru-hull very easily, as
can spills out the vent. So check it first. If backflushing with a hose
doesn't clear it, you may have to dig it out with a screw driver blade.
If there's a screen in the thru-hull, don't worry about puncturing
it...in fact the best thing you can do is get rid of it. If you don't
find anything in the thru-hull, remove the vent hose from the tank to
check the fitting and that end of the hose.

If you want to prevent this problem in the future, NEVER allow your tank
to overflow...if you don't have a gauge, install one--and pay attention
to it. Blast out the vent thru-hull with a hose every time you wash the
boat and check it regularly to make sure that just blasting it out is
enough to keep it clean.

You also need to check the thru-hulls for your water and fuel tank vents
regularly, and make sure they don't ever become blocked.

And btw...you might click on the link in my signature too.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Clogged waste tank vent RG General 0 September 15th 03 10:50 AM
Place in Vancouver to plumb my holding tank? Lloyd Sumpter General 7 August 22nd 03 08:26 AM
Fuel Tank Reads 1/4 Tank Black-n-Gold General 0 August 7th 03 11:57 PM
Tank Level Meters: Headmistress (Peggy)? Lloyd Sumpter General 8 August 6th 03 04:30 AM
Fuel Tank Clog....Please help!! Doug Trowbridge General 3 July 18th 03 02:33 AM