Larry

Default DAMMIT ICOM WHY SO CHEAP?!!

See the picture on alt.binaries.pictures.sports.ocean I took with a
tiny little Logitech camera today while installing a whole suite of
Icom radios into my buddy Geoffrey's Amel Sharpi ketch we brought to
Charleston from Satellite Beach, FL a few weeks back. Gotta have all
the toys....(c;

The Icom M802 HF SSB/GMDSS/DSC radio sells, without the antenna tuner
from Ham Radio Outlet in Atlanta for $2,399 + tax and recappable
tires. The AT-140 antenna tuner adds another $480 and tax to that
total, almost THREE GRAND in HF radio......

Then WHY SO CHEAP, ICOM?....DAMMIT!!

1) The tiny little Japanese 6-pin plug that's the control output for
the tuner is a little fragile plastic plug that's NOT sealed in any
way. It plugs into a tiny, little Japanese male outlet on the main
SSB radio. This plug, if you are to install the proper cable (not
included), instead of an overpriced Icom cable with the plugs already
on them, making them impossible to thread through cable runs inside
the boat loaded up with other wires, MUST BE ASSEMBLED! Notice how
the plug is a SIX PIN PLUG....

Icom only uses FOUR of the 6 pins in this tiny little cheap connector
AND ONLY PROVIDES FOUR TEE-TINY LITTLE PINS LEAVING ZERO ROOM FOR
ASSEMBLY ERROR ABOARD A ROCKING BOAT! You don't even get the OTHER
TWO PINS it doesn't use as goof-up spares! These loose female contact
are VERY fragile, very small and easy to bend or break. The contacts
probably cost $1/thousand at the OEM order level.....SO WHY DID ICOM
ONLY PUT FOUR OF THEM IN THE PLUG KIT?!!.....&#)(*&@_#)(#@)$(*&#@%$
(EXPLETIVES DELETED) I got them installed without incident but what
if someone makes a tiny mistake and breaks one? Why, oh why, oh why
should he have to WAIT WEEKS FOR REPLACEMENTS OF SUCH CHEAP PARTS??!!!

2)....This same cheap, unsealed plastic inline connector is hanging
out of the AT-140 antenna tuner on a little piece of cable, OUT IN THE
WEATHER or on some boats IN THE HUMID, DAMP, CORRODING BILGE under
some settee someplace. WHY CAN'T A $500 ANTENNA TUNER HAVE SEALING,
WATERPROOF CABLE CONNECTORS MOUNTED RIGHT INTO THE ANTENNA TUNER'S
WATERPROOF HOUSING??!! Hello? Icom? Does anyone at Icom own a boat?
Ever worked on a boat? Ever seen an unprotected connector eaten by
electrolysis because it was exposed to SEAWATER with 13.8VDC on it?!!
Arrgh!.....(puke). Ok, so we'll get rid of this cheap little
connector, right? The ANTENNA TUNER INSTRUCTION MANUAL shows that
inside the tuner this useless pigtail wire is screwed into a TERMINAL
BLOCK on the main PC board, on a European-style terminal block made
for bare wires....right? WRONG AGAIN, FISH BREATH!! The damned
pigtail is SOLDERED to fine little wires that are soldered to the PC
board WHERE THE TERMINAL BLOCK IS SUPPOSED TO GO!!

DAMMIT ICOM, WHY IS THIS $500 TUNER MISSING THE LITTLE TERMINAL BLOCK
THAT COSTS AN OEM $1.39?!!! DAMNED CHEAPSKATES!!

My plan was to open the tuner, unscrew the wires from the terminal
block on the PC board and install the custom cable I pulled into the
wireways in the boat, through the waterproof cable squeezer straight
into the MISSING TERMINAL BLOCK!!!!!! IDIOTS!!!!!

I cannot pull the main PC board out of the tuner because of all the
HOT GLUED PARTS making disassembly impossible. I'm afraid if I
unsolder the pigtail cable from the little wires soldered to the
board, I may also unsolder the little wires from the unremovable
bottom of the main PC board.

I feel just like the Aflac Duck walking out of the barber shop with
Yogi Berra in the commercial.......AHHHHHHH!!!!GGGGhhh!!!!

Stupid Icom for a unit that retails for $3000 to be constructed so
cheaply!! This ISN'T a consumer ham radio for someone's
hamshack...THIS IS A BOAT RADIO!!! ALL connectors should be
WATERPROOF, EVEN ON THE MAIN CHASSIS!! It's HUMID in a boat!!!

3) The remote unit, that may be mounted outside on some boats, IS
waterproof. it has rubber keys, nice sealed box.....But,
ARRGH!....THE CABLE CONNECTOR ON THE BACK OF IT IS A LITTLE MINIATURE
DIN CONNECTOR OFF SOME HAM RADIO MADE FOR SOMEONE'S CAR!! Water is
gonna get into that tiny connector with DC power on it and just EAT
THE PINS RIGHT OFF IT!! Well, Duhhhh!!!.......

Well, I'm gonna have another Newcastle English Ale and stop trying to
figure out how I'm going to put the control cable to the tuner,
tonight. I'll think more about it in the morning.....

I just wanted every one of you to know how this nice radio (otherwise)
is made. Its technology is certainly a wonder....but its construction
is NOT A MARINE RADIO!!!

PS - the matching M602 IS sealed like a marine radio should be. It
has an EXTERNAL heat sink outside the sealed case. THE M802 HAS A FAN
THAT DRAWS SALT AIR INTO THE CABINET TO COOL IT! Think about how
wonderful that's gonna be in 3 years.....(c;

Arrgh.......Any Icom reps or dealers wanna explain this to
me?.....Planned Obsolescense? Payback for losing WW2? Why....WHY?!!

Larry W4CSC
3rd Mate Engineering
S/V "Claire's Navie"
CAREFULLY soldering the FOUR LITTLE PINS you provided........

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.
Keith

I couldn't even SEE those pins to solder them... I had to hire somebody with
better eyesight to do it!

--

Keith
__
"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Wayne.B

ICOM makes pretty good gear for the most part but there are other
choices. Knowing what you know now, why not order two or three
plugs in the beginning? After testing it should be relatively easy to
seal the connectors with heat shrink tubing and/or 5200.

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:58:31 GMT, (Larry) wrote:
[...]

SAIL LOCO

ICOM is no different than the rest of the marine manufactures. Stupid high
prices for junk and even higher prices for parts and labor when the product
needs repair. I just had to send in my Northstar GPS for repair. It needed a
memory battery (probably a $3.00 watch battery) replacement and a "driver" for
the floresent light bulb. The frikin bill was almost $300! They claimed 2
hours of labor at $95 an hour!
Some magazine did a survey a few years back asking boat owners what most
dissatisfied them about boat ownership and the overwhelming winning response
was marine electronics. Open any piece of marine electronics and there is crap
inside.
Why should a knotmeter and depthsounder cost as much as a Sony 27" TV? Why
should a new set of spinning plastic cups for a aparent wind sensor cost $45?
They are easily worth $4.99.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Wayne.B

On 17 Aug 2003 16:14:55 GMT, (SAIL LOCO) wrote:
ICOM is no different than the rest of the marine manufactures. Stupid high
prices for junk and even higher prices for parts and labor when the product
needs repair. I just had to send in my Northstar GPS for repair. It needed a
memory battery (probably a $3.00 watch battery) replacement and a "driver" for
the floresent light bulb. The frikin bill was almost $300! They claimed 2
hours of labor at $95 an hour!
Some magazine did a survey a few years back asking boat owners what most
dissatisfied them about boat ownership and the overwhelming winning response
was marine electronics. Open any piece of marine electronics and there is crap
inside.
Why should a knotmeter and depthsounder cost as much as a Sony 27" TV? Why
should a new set of spinning plastic cups for a aparent wind sensor cost $45?
They are easily worth $4.99.

======================================
For the most part it's related to economies of scale. The boating
market is tiny compared to the home appliance market so manufacturers
are paying top dollar for small lots of stuff, and then paying high
costs to inventory and distribute spare parts. Same issue for
repairs, the manufacturers have to keep techs on staff who are
qualified to fix anything even though your repair may be trivial.

I've found that marine electronics over 3 or 4 years old are usually
functionally obsolete based on cost/performance, and it's frequently
more economical to replace rather than repair.

Larry W4CSC

Default Furuno vs. Raymarine radar

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:14:13 -0500, "Keith"
wrote:

FYI, I had a new Raymarine radar that went bad after 6 months. The cable
somehow went bad... no explanation, pinches, cuts, pokes, etc. The place
that sold it to me said that they've had so many warranty repairs with
Raymarine that they're thinking of dropping the line. They said that they
thought Furuno was the only way to go for radar.

BTW, I bought the 4KW dome, since I saw three Raymarine open arrays replaced
ON MY PIER due to water intrusion... bad (cheap) design.

Add another one. Our 2KW Raymarine radome failed and had water and
corrosion in it when it was removed from the Endeavour 35's stern
mount to be placed on the Amel Sharpi's mizzen mount. Raymarine
replaced the whole thing with a new one.

Raymarine is another company that could stand a kick in the ass. The
control cable to the 2KW radome is that same cheap kind of PC board
connector. It was just crimped and 2 wires came out of it while we
were feeding it through the "watertight" fitting. I soldered them all
from the back of the connector. Damned cheap marine companies....

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.
leisure

Hate to mention it - but you're confusing "marine" and "marina"
equipment. It's hard to tell by the advertising - you have to
actually use the gear and most "marina" boats never do that - so they
don't find out .

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 01:42:15 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

Damned cheap marine companies....

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.

PeteAlbright

Larry,

I know that as a HAM, you want to enjoy the installation process yourself,
but WHY spend so much money. I have no affiliations, but check out the
following links:

www.hfradio.com
http://www.waypoints.com/PDF/03catalog18-25.pdf

You can get the M802, the AT-140, 10 meters of coax/control cables to the
AT-140, and a DSC watch antenna for $2,656. This is a complete system,
bench tested before shipment.

I don't disagree with your observations about the construction and/or
quality issues.

Pete Albright
s/v Nancy Ross
Tampa, FL

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Larry W4CSC

I know about all the discounts. Check Sailnet's prices.....

Even if the damned radio/tuner were $995, they could STILL afford to
do better on CONNECTORS.