Default Olive wants to go to the Caribbean !

Olive (her last name actually means olive tree :-) wants to
sail to the Caribbean before crossing the Pacific. So maybe
we're going to do this in 2007.

Should we plan on spending at least a year for this trip ?
How about 4 months to get from California to the Caribbean,
4 months in the Caribbean (January to April) and 4 months
(or longer) to get back ?

Geoff Schultz wrote:
Olive (her last name actually means olive tree :-) wants to
sail to the Caribbean before crossing the Pacific. So maybe
we're going to do this in 2007.

Should we plan on spending at least a year for this trip ?
How about 4 months to get from California to the Caribbean,
4 months in the Caribbean (January to April) and 4 months
(or longer) to get back ?

Four months to Panama sounds reasonable. Then plan for
a 2-3 years there. No need to rush. Why would you want to
out my web site for tons of info on the area:

http://www.GeoffSchultz.org/

-- Geoff (who's headed back to Honduras in a month)

Very nice web site. I was thinking that we should get out of
the Caribbean before the hurricane season begins in June.
But since the best time to leave for South Pacific is between
March and May we may want to return to California and do
some traveling in my motor home.

boatingaz

I know, I know...... URGENT!

Danny

wrote in message
.net...

Olive (her last name actually means olive tree :-) wants to
sail to the Caribbean before crossing the Pacific. So maybe
we're going to do this in 2007.

Should we plan on spending at least a year for this trip ?
How about 4 months to get from California to the Caribbean,
4 months in the Caribbean (January to April) and 4 months
(or longer) to get back ?

Poopie:

Jamakame crazy. You're going to spash a new Tayana in Kalifornia, sail the
Big Ditch, across the Carib for four months and then reverse the route to
the Indian Ocean? What's the rush?

That's an itinerary that could take a year or two to really enjoy. One could
tack on the Great Circle Route and add another year and never see the same
water twice. (There are parts of the ICW that would present draft problems
but a little off-shore near the Carolinas would be a welcome side trip.)

Tell Olive to chill. It's called cruising not rushing.

Wayne.B

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 14:54:26 GMT, Gary wrote:

What's the rush?

==========================

Exactly. The Carribean would be a nice place to hang out for a year
or two while you'n'OliveOyl get your sea legs. The islands are close
together and every bit as scenic as those in the Pacific in most
cases.

People generally take their boats south to Venezuela or Trinidad for
the hurricane season. I'd recommend getting it hauled if leaving it
there for any length of time. Both are also good places to get work
done by all reports, although I have no experience with that.

Rosalie B.

wrote:

Olive (her last name actually means olive tree :-) wants to
sail to the Caribbean before crossing the Pacific. So maybe
we're going to do this in 2007.

Should we plan on spending at least a year for this trip ?
How about 4 months to get from California to the Caribbean,
4 months in the Caribbean (January to April) and 4 months
(or longer) to get back ?

We have friends who had to move from Marathon in the Florida Keys to
San Francisco. They trucked the boat across. Then when they came
back they set out from northern California at the end of September
2001 and they got back to Marathon in June 2003. They spend two years
in the Baja California area.

Other friends with the same kind of boat left the Virgin Islands in
June of 1999 and spent the winter and spring of 2000 in Trinidad
refitting

From there they went (earliest date at the bottom)

They are now (5 years later) at Volume #135 - Vava'u, Tonga Part 4
(September 15 - November 29, 2005)
At this point they came back to the US for a couple or 6 months
Volume 122: Bora Bora
Volume 121: Raiatea & Taha’a
Volume 120: Huahine
Volume 119: Easter Island
Volume 118: Moorea
Volume 117: Tahiti & Heiva
Volume 116: Reaching Tahiti July 2, 2004
Volume 115: Fakarava Atoll Tuamotus
Volume 114: Kauehi Atoll Tuamotu
Volume 113: Baie Anaho & Hatiheu
Volume 112: Nuku Hiva -- Taiohae
Volume 111: Ua Pou
Volume 110: Fatu Hiva
Volume 109: Vaitahu Bay
Volume 108: Baie Hanamoena
Volume 107: Arrival in the Marquesas
Volume 106: Banderas Bay -- Hiva Oa
Volume 105: Farewell Mexico -- Old Stomping Grounds March 28, 2004
Volume 104: Colonial Mexico
Volume 103: The Sun Sets On The Sea
Volume 102: A Month Single-Handing
Volume 101: Hurricane Marty - No Fire Drill This Time
Volume 100: Bahia Los Angeles to Puerto Refugio
Volume 99: Northern Sea of Cortez-A Month's "Vacation?"/Hurricane Fire
Drill
Volume 98: San Carlos
Volume 97: Mid-Summer/Mid-Sea
Volume 96: Back to Baja
Volume 95: Altata
Volume 93: Copper Canyon
Volume 92: Carnival in Mazatlán
Volume 91: Girls' Trip Inland - Part Two: Oaxaca
Volume 90: Girls' Trip Inland - Part One: Morelia & Puebla
Volume 89: 2003 Begins in Mazatlán
Volume 87 & 88: The Return Trip - BLA to Concepcion
Volume 86: Este Ton, Isla Angel La Guarda
Volume 85: Puerto Refugio, Isla Angel La Guarda
Volume 84: Bahia Los Angeles (Bay of the Angels)
Volume 83: Making our way to BLA During this time they met up with
the first boat mentioned.
Volume 82: Santa Rosalia (plus a trip Southern California)
Volume 81: Isla San Marcos
Volume 80: Bahia Conception
Volume 79: San Juanico & La Ramada
Volume 76, 77 & 78: July 2002 The Puerto Escondido/Loreto Cruising
Grounds
Volume 75: Caleta Candelero Chico and Bahia Candelero
Volume 74: August 2002 - Isla Monserrat
Volume 73: July 2002 - Agua Verde
Volume 72 : 1 July 2002 - Isla Espiritu Santo, Isla Partida, Isla San
Francisco & Isla San Jose
Volume 71 : 10 June 2002 - Baja California Sur & La Paz
Volume 70 : 20 May 2002 - Isla Isabela
Volume 69 : 10 May 2002 - Jaltemba & San Blas
Volume 68 : 6 May 2002 - Banderas Bay
Volume 67 : 25 March 2002 - Tenacatita & Chamela, Mexico
Volume 66 : 12 March 2002 - Manzanillo, Mexico
Volume 65 : 28 February 2002 - Zihuatenejo, Mexico
Volume 64 : 12 February 2002 - Acapulco, Mexico
Volume 63 : 29 January 2002 - Bahias de Huatulco, Mexico
Volume 62 : 17 January 2002 - The Gulf of Tehuantepec
Volume 61 : 16 January 2002 - El Salvador
Volume 60 : 30 December 2001 - San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Volume 59: 23 December 2001 - Bahia Santa Elena, Costa Rica
Volume 58: 12 December 2001 - Bahia Potrero, Costa Rica
Volume 57: 2 December 2001 - Punta Leona, Southern Costa Rica
Volume 54: August 8, 2001 - Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Volume 53: July 26, 2001 - Western Panama, or "Little Brother's Big
Adventure"
Volume 52: July 6, 2001 - Puerto Mutis, Bahia Montijo, Veraguas
Province, Western Panama
Volume 51: June 24, 2001 - Chatham Bay, Isla de Cocos, Costa Rica
Volume 50 : June 14, 2001 Leaving the Galapagos - Darwin Bay, Genovesa
Island
Volume 49:June 12, 2001 - Galapagos part II - San Cristobal, Floreana
& Isabela
Volume 48: May 26, 2001 - Santa Cruz & San Cristobal, Galapagos
Islands
Volume 47: May 15, 2001 - Underway from Salinas, Ecuador to Galapagos
Volume 46: May 4, 2001 - Puerto Lucia Yacht Club, La Libertad, Ecuador
Volume 45: April 29, 2001 - Coastal Ecuador - Leaving Bahia
Volume 44: April 26, 2001 - Inland Trip, Ecuador - Quito & the Andean
Highlands
Volume 43: April 16, 2001 - Bahia de Caraquez, Ecuador
Volume 42: April 9, 2001 - Crossing the Equator
Volume 41: April 3, 2001 - Isla Espiritu Santos, Las Perlas Islands,
Panama
Volume 40: March 18, 2001 - Balboa Yacht Club, Balboa, Panama
Volume 39: March 8, 2001 - Pedro Miguel Boat Club, Panama
Volume 38: February 7, 2001 - Pedro Miguel Boat Club, Panama
Volume 37: Pedro Miguel Boat Club - Panama Canal
Volume 36: January 18, 2001 "The Flats" Anchorage, Colón, Panama
Volume 35: January 17, 2001 Rio Chagres, Panama
Volume 34: January 7, 2001 Chichime, San Blas, Panama
Volume 33: December 30, 2000 Eastern Holandes Cays, San Blas, Panama
Volume 32: December 23, 2000 Still at Green Island, San Blas, Panama
Volume 31: December 9, 2000 Green Island, San Blas, Panama
Volume 30: November 30, 2000 Green Island, San Blas, Panama
Volume 29: November 25, 2000 Snug Harbor, between Apaitup & Kaymatar
Islands, San Blas
Volume 28: November 20, 2000 Achutupu & Isla Mona, San Blas, Panama
Volume 27: November 18 2000 Ustupu, San Blas, Panama
Volume 26: November 12 2000 Isla Piños, San Blas, Panama
Volume 25: November 7, 2000 Cartagena, Colombia
Volume 24: October 25, 2000 Cartagena, Colombia
Volume 23: October 24, 2000 Punta Hermosa, Colombia
Volume 22: October 22, 2000 Guayraca, Colombia
Volume 21: October 16, 2000 Guayraca, Colombia
Volume 20: October 14, 2000 Cabo de Vela, Colombia
Volume 19: October 11, 2000 Monjes del Sur, Venezuela
Volume 18: October 10,2000 Monjes del Sur, Venezuela
Volume 17: October 7, 2000 Santa Kruis Bay, Curacao
Volume 16: September 28, 2000 Spaansewter, Curacao
Volume 15: September 27, 2000 Kranlendijk, Bonaire, Netherlands
Antilles
Volume 14: September 9, 2000 Kranlendijk, Bonaire, Netherlands
Antilles
Volume 13: September 1, 2000 Isla Oeste, Los Aves Barlovento,
Venezuela
Volume 12: August 23, 2000 Isla Caranero, Los Roques Is.
Volume 11: August 13, 2000 Cayo Herradura, Tortuga
Volume 10: August 5, 2000 Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela
Volume 9: July 24, 2000 -- Porlamar, Margarita, Venezuela

grandma Rosalie
FMac

wrote in message
k.net...

Very nice web site. I was thinking that we should get out of
the Caribbean before the hurricane season begins in June.
But since the best time to leave for South Pacific is between
March and May we may want to return to California and do
some traveling in my motor home.

Perhaps you may consider reading Jimmy Cornell's book on World Cruising
Routes and if that doesn't
give you a clue on which way to proceed, then I would suggest a 747 to Port
de France and charter a boat for a month or so.

Potato Casserole Skipper General 45 November 18th 05 08:56 PM
Caribbean Cruisers Association + Other interesting links Mic Cruising 2 November 18th 05 05:40 AM