Sven

Default Remote battery for Lectrasan ?

I posted this question in the sailboatowners.com head mistress forum
last week but got no feedback so I thought I'd try asking the "locals"
here instead ...

There is a bracket under the v-berth on our new(old) Ericson 23, close
to the Lectrasan. It looks like it might be a battery bracket. Would it
make sense to have a battery there to satisfy the current draw of the
Lectrasan if the house batteries are some 15 feet away ?

If it isn't a battery bracket I'm stumped what it is for.

At this point I don't know if the Lectrasan is functional and I'm
wondering how to fire it up to see if it is ? Open the sea cocks (if
they are closed), pump, turn on the timer ... ? Or should I first do
some other preparation ?

I think the bottom of the bowl is at or under the DWL but none of the
plumbing has any antisiphon air gaps as far as I can tell. Do you need
air gaps if most of the bowl is above water ?

The treatment tank is above the bowl. The manual (downloaded from
Raritan) states that the tank has to be below the bowl or you need to
call them. Why would it need to be below or what should I look for to
find out if it is acceptably installed despite being above the bowl ?
Are they just worried about backflow ?

Thanks for any insights.

-Sven
Peggie Hall

Sven wrote:
I posted this question in the sailboatowners.com head mistress forum
last week but got no feedback so I thought I'd try asking the
"locals" here instead ...

Apparently I missed it...sorry!

There is a bracket under the v-berth on our new(old) Ericson 23,
close to the Lectrasan. It looks like it might be a battery bracket.
Would it make sense to have a battery there to satisfy the current
draw of the Lectrasan if the house batteries are some 15 feet away ?

The distance to your existing battery is within mfr's specs...the only
questions are whether the wire size is correct for that distance, and
whether a single battery can provide enough power for Lectra/San in
addition to your other 12v electric needs. The Lectra/San consumes 1.7
AH/flush...about 10 amps/day for two people.

If it isn't a battery bracket I'm stumped what it is for.

At this point I don't know if the Lectrasan is functional and I'm
wondering how to fire it up to see if it is ? Open the sea cocks (if
they are closed), pump, turn on the timer ... ? Or should I first do
some other preparation ?

Before attempting to operate it, at least a gallon of salt water should
be in it...which is easy to do--just flush the toilet enough times. Then
open the seacock, and turn on the timer. However, it would be a VERY
good idea to get the manual for it before you do anything. The only
manual on the Raritan website is for the current MC version, which I
suspect has a different control module than yours. If the timer is a
dial "stove timer," the unit is quite old...that's the original
controller, and has been discontinued. So in addition to getting a
manual for it, I think you'd be well advised to have a chat with with
Raritan tech services. Vic Willman is the person you want to talk to at
Raritan...give him a call at 800-352-352-5630.

I think the bottom of the bowl is at or under the DWL but none of the
plumbing has any antisiphon air gaps as far as I can tell. Do you
need air gaps if most of the bowl is above water ?

If the toilet is at or below the waterline at any angle of heel, there
should be a vented loop in the head discharge line going to the L/S. If
the unit is below the waterline at any angle of heel, there should be a
vented loop between the unit and the thru-hull. If neither are below the
waterline at any angle of heel, no vented loops are required. So it's
possible that you could need one, two, or none.

The treatment tank is above the bowl.

In that case there should definitely be a vented loop that's at least
8-12" above the unit.

The manual (downloaded from
Raritan) states that the tank has to be below the bowl or you need to
call them. Why would it need to be below...

Because the inlet from the toilet is near the bottom of the unit (it
discharges by overflowing out a fitting on the top), and water/waste
flows downhill. If the unit is above the toilet discharge, without a
loop that's above the toilet discharge at any angle of heel, waste from
it will flow out of the unit back toward the toilet.

or what should I look for
to find out if it is acceptably installed despite being above the
bowl ? Are they just worried about backflow ?

Yup...and quite justifiably, too...

Give Vic a call...he'll help you sort out everything you need to know
about how it works and how it should be installed.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

Sven

In article ,
Peggie Hall wrote:

Apparently I missed it...sorry!

No problem, I assumed you were being kept busy elsewhere :-)

good idea to get the manual for it before you do anything.

I found the original manual ... copyright 1977 !

If the timer is a
dial "stove timer," the unit is quite old...that's the original
controller, and has been discontinued.

Indeed it is. I wonder if I can get any money for its value as an
antique ? Yes, I am joking.

Raritan tech services. Vic Willman is the person you want to talk to at
Raritan...give him a call at 800-352-352-5630.

I just added his info to my Palm Pilot address book, thanks.

From your other answer, back on the head mistress forum:

The first question is, whether you can legally use your Lectra/San
in your waters. Most of the waters of SoCal are "no discharge"--holding
tank only.

I didn't realize that. I thought it was only Avalon and other harbors,
but since I've never had a boat on this coast before the issue has never
come up.

Given that restriction, is there any advantage to even trying to bring
it back to life since it doesn't have a holding tank ? I'd have to add
a holding tank anyway for no-discharge areas. Does Lectrasan treatment
sterilize the effluent enough to make it too dead to cause odors ?

The boat (in beautiful condition !) is a 1975 and I'd guess the
Lectrasan is a 1977, based on the manual copyright. For a 23 pocket
cruiser a "semi-permanent", pumpable porta-potti might make more sense ?

Thanks,

-Sven
Peggie Hall

The first question is, whether you can legally use your Lectra/San
in your waters. Most of the waters of SoCal are "no discharge"--holding
tank only.

I didn't realize that. I thought it was only Avalon and other harbors,
but since I've never had a boat on this coast before the issue has never
come up.

Given that restriction, is there any advantage to even trying to bring
it back to life since it doesn't have a holding tank ?

If it's working, you can use it. 40 CFR 140.3(2)(c) sayeth: "Any
vessel which is equipped as of the date of promulgation of this
regulation (1980) with a Coast Guard-certified flow-through marine
sanitation device meeting the requirements of paragraph (a)(2) of this
section, shall not be required to comply with the provisions designed to
prevent the overboard discharge of sewage, treated or untreated, in
paragraph (a)(1) of this section, for the operable life of that device."

A Lectra/San meets the requires of paragraph (a) (2) and was installed
on your boat before 1980. Therefore, you'd be able to use it in lieu of
a holding tank in ALL waters, including those that are "no discharge."

You can read the whole law at
http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/4...7/wcd04715.asp

I'd have to add
a holding tank anyway for no-discharge areas.

Nope.

Does Lectrasan treatment
sterilize the effluent enough to make it too dead to cause odors ?

Yes. In fact, ANY odor is an indication that the unit isn't working.

The boat (in beautiful condition !) is a 1975 and I'd guess the
Lectrasan is a 1977, based on the manual copyright. For a 23 pocket
cruiser a "semi-permanent", pumpable porta-potti might make more sense ?

If your Lectra/San is no longer working and cannot be repaired for a
reasonable cost, yes...a 5-6 gallon permanent installed self-contained
system would be the best answer on a boat that size.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

LaBomba182

Subject: Remote battery for Lectrasan ?
From: Sven

There is a bracket under the v-berth on our new(old) Ericson 23, close
to the Lectrasan. It looks like it might be a battery bracket. Would it
make sense to have a battery there to satisfy the current draw of the
Lectrasan if the house batteries are some 15 feet away ?

Perhaps. But you still would need to run a wire to that battery to charge it.

If it isn't a battery bracket I'm stumped what it is for.

At this point I don't know if the Lectrasan is functional and I'm
wondering how to fire it up to see if it is ? Open the sea cocks (if
they are closed), pump, turn on the timer ... ? Or should I first do
some other preparation ?

That's about it. See if the lights come on on the timer box and listen for each
grinder motor to come on.
There is a way to test the plate but I don't have the Lactrasan book with me to
tell you how.

I think the bottom of the bowl is at or under the DWL but none of the
plumbing has any antisiphon air gaps as far as I can tell. Do you need
air gaps if most of the bowl is above water ?

It would be best to have one.

The treatment tank is above the bowl. The manual (downloaded from
Raritan) states that the tank has to be below the bowl or you need to
call them. Why would it need to be below or what should I look for to
find out if it is acceptably installed despite being above the bowl ?

Never had that problem. Check with Raritan or Peggie Hall.

Are they just worried about backflow ?

That would be my guess. Like they say "**** tends to run down hill". :-)

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182

From: Sven

There is a bracket under the v-berth on our new(old) Ericson 23, close
to the Lectrasan. It looks like it might be a battery bracket. Would it
make sense to have a battery there to satisfy the current draw of the
Lectrasan if the house batteries are some 15 feet away ?

Perhaps. But you still need to run a wire to that battery to charge it.

If it isn't a battery bracket I'm stumped what it is for.

Got me.

At this point I don't know if the Lectrasan is functional and I'm
wondering how to fire it up to see if it is ? Open the sea cocks (if
they are closed), pump, turn on the timer ... ? Or should I first do
some other preparation ?

Open sea cocks, pump some water through and fire it up. See if the lights go on
the timer box and listen for the two grinder motors to come on in sequence.
There is a way to check the plate but without the my LectraSan manual in front
of me I can tell you how.

I think the bottom of the bowl is at or under the DWL but none of the
plumbing has any antisiphon air gaps as far as I can tell. Do you need
air gaps if most of the bowl is above water ?

Not a bad idea.

The treatment tank is above the bowl. The manual (downloaded from
Raritan) states that the tank has to be below the bowl or you need to
call them. Why would it need to be below or what should I look for to
find out if it is acceptably installed despite being above the bowl ?
Are they just worried about backflow ?

Ask them. http://www.raritaneng.com/

Capt. Bill
Sven

In article ,

From: Sven

Are they just worried about backflow ?

Ask them.
http://www.raritaneng.com/

Sounds like an excellent suggestion.

Thanks for the earlier suggestions as well.

-Sven
LaBomba182

From: Sven

Are they just worried about backflow ?

Ask them. http://www.raritaneng.com/

Sounds like an excellent suggestion.

Thanks for the earlier suggestions as well.

-Sven

You're welcome.

Capt. Bill

Auxially battery with isolator and solar battery maintainer [email protected] General 26 December 8th 03 07:10 AM
charging deep cycle trolling battery with truck [email protected] General 4 November 22nd 03 08:28 AM
Battery Disconnect Switch (wiring) Matt General 1 September 20th 03 03:26 PM
More Battery Questions CaptMP General 3 August 26th 03 08:22 PM
Which Battery To Buy Gary Warner General 1 July 22nd 03 02:55 AM