posted to rec.boats.building
Leonard

Default Adhesive/Sealant for Lexan Windows

Does anyone have any advice on what Adhesive/Sealant to use to attach a
Lexan window to a steel hull boat? I tried using 3M Marine Adhesive
Sealant 5200. It did not bond with the Lexan.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

posted to rec.boats.building
Dave W

GE, manufacturer of Lexan has a great webpage and is very specific about the
material to be used in sealing Lexan.
Dave
"

Leonard wrote:
Does anyone have any advice on what Adhesive/Sealant to use to attach a
Lexan window to a steel hull boat? I tried using 3M Marine Adhesive
Sealant 5200. It did not bond with the Lexan.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

I used Sikaflex 295 on the 15 windows in my catamaran. Go to the
Sikaflex website and check it out. With the Sikaflex cleaner and primer
it is a complete system mainly for sealing lexan or acrylic windows.
Supposedly this sealant is used without fasteners for lexan windows in
military vehicles.

fritz

posted to rec.boats.building
MarshallE

Take a look at a 2 part polyurethane that comes in a small dual tube with
plunger. When you press the plunger the two parts mix and dispense very
easily.

We use this to bond polycarbonate to polycarbonate and have had great
success. Stay clear of any glues that are generating a chemical bond to the
P/C. Any glue that "attacks" the P/C will cause stress cracking at a later
date. (or at least this is what we found.....)

Check GE's site...good idea...and check 3M's site and others for the glue.
Call and ask detailed questions....

Good luck,

Marshall

PS...make sure that the window material is not just polycarbonate but that
it is UV stabilized and explain that you will use it for a window
application. Though acrylic is more fragile it will/should hold up better
than P/C as far as sunlight. Most outdoor signage is made from Acrylic due
to better UV properties. There are some window materials that have thin
layers of other plastics to help with minimizing scratches.

"Leonard" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have any advice on what Adhesive/Sealant to use to attach a
Lexan window to a steel hull boat? I tried using 3M Marine Adhesive
Sealant 5200. It did not bond with the Lexan.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

posted to rec.boats.building
Dan Dan is offline

Have a look at Sika's product called Sikaflex 295uv.
http://www.sikaindustry.com/tds-ipd-...ex295uv-us.pdf
You will probably need to use the primer with it on sandblasted steel. I
would give them a call and talk to the tech services group. They will
know for sure what to use.

Dan

MarshallE wrote:
[...]

"Leonard" wrote in message
oups.com...

Does anyone have any advice on what Adhesive/Sealant to use to attach a
Lexan window to a steel hull boat? I tried using 3M Marine Adhesive
Sealant 5200. It did not bond with the Lexan.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

posted to rec.boats.building
Bob Bob is offline

MarshallE wrote:
Take a look at a 2 part polyurethane
We use this to bond polycarbonate to polycarbonate and have had great
success.

Does this allow 1/8" of adheasive for movment of structure?

Stay clear of any glues that are generating a chemical bond to the
P/C. Any glue that "attacks" the P/C will cause stress cracking at a later
date. (or at least this is what we found.....)

Many webpages list chemicals/cleaners that poly carb must avoid or are
compatible.
Jsut do your homework.

PS...make sure that the window material is not just polycarbonate but that
it is UV stabilized and explain that you will use it for a window
application.

There is a "UV protected" poly carb avalible. Some companies accomplish
this by applying a laminate "layer" on one side. The tech guy I
contacted said if the lexan is flexed the UV laminate will seperate
form the lexan.

Though acrylic is more fragile it will/should hold up better
than P/C as far as sunlight.

Ya but when you go to tighten a linse on a curve the plexiglas will
crack. Not so the lexan.

Most outdoor signage is made from Acrylic due
to better UV properties. There are some window materials that have thin
layers of other plastics to help with minimizing scratches.

I used Dow Corning 795 on (6) lexan 3/8" x 7" x 15" lenses. Through
bolted to house with (14) MS PH Philips 316 1/4" x 20 x 2 1/2" bedded
in 1/8" Dow Corning 795.

Do your research. Search this site and rec.boats. crusing for tons of
info.
Bob