Geoff Schultz

Default SuperWind Wind Generators

I recently ran across a site for a wind generator that I have never heard
of before. It's www.SuperWind.com and they make a wind generator that
looks very promising. Of course, I've never heard one in use or seen one,
but their desription and output curves look very good. What I really like
is that it starts generating power at low wind speeds and will generate 29
Amps at 24 kts and above.

The biggest problem seems to be that they're a German company and with the
dollar falling so much against the Euro, it's getting more expensive by the
day. However, I think that it's worth looking at.

Note that I have absolutely no relationship with the company. I'm simply
passing this along as information.

-- Geoff
rhys

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:07:30 GMT, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

Note that I have absolutely no relationship with the company. I'm simply
passing this along as information.

Well, *I* believe you, but the last name of Schulz is eine kliene
suspicious, nein?

And hey, the Canadian dollar is doing fine against the euro, so get it
at the Toronto Boat Show in January G

krj

Since when was 24 kn rated as "one hell of a lot of wind". Obviously JAX
has never done much sailing in either the Leewards or the Windwards
where the trades are usually E to ENE at 15-30 kn.
krj
Been there, done that

JAXAshby wrote:
[...]

JAXAshby

for an anchorage? yeah, sure.

Doug Dotson

I'd have to do some calculations but 29A at 24kts for a 1.2m diam
swept area seems to be pushing Betz's Theorem to the limit. I've
never seen variable pitch blades used in small turbines. Standard
design in large terestrial turbines but the pitch isn't controlled
passively but rather by the control system. I've love to have one
to play with though.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
7...
I recently ran across a site for a wind generator that I have never heard
of before. It's www.SuperWind.com and they make a wind generator that
looks very promising. Of course, I've never heard one in use or seen one,
but their desription and output curves look very good. What I really like
is that it starts generating power at low wind speeds and will generate 29
Amps at 24 kts and above.

The biggest problem seems to be that they're a German company and with the
dollar falling so much against the Euro, it's getting more expensive by
the
day. However, I think that it's worth looking at.

Note that I have absolutely no relationship with the company. I'm simply
passing this along as information.

-- Geoff

Geoff Schultz

If it's blowing 30+ and you're anchored in 24, you're a happy camper!
In the Caribbean I've regularly been anchored in that. Not that I want
to be, but it's better than the alternative.

You may recall that one of my complaints about the KISS is that the
thermal breakers start opening once the constant output of the generator
exceeds 17 A. Unfortunately that happens a lot in the Caribbean. I'd
love a generator that would just keep producing in big winds.

-- Geoff

"Doug Dotson" wrote in
:

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
Yeah, so would the manufacturer.

btw, who here purposely anchors in 24 knot winds just to make his
wind gen put
out amps?

I'd have to do some calculations but 29A at 24kts for a 1.2m diam
swept area seems to be pushing Betz's Theorem to the limit. I've
never seen variable pitch blades used in small turbines. Standard
design in large terestrial turbines but the pitch isn't controlled
passively but rather by the control system. I've love to have one
to play with though.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
9.17...
[...]

JAXAshby

dougies, just where in hell do you use an wind generator?

dummy.

Who mentioned anchoring in 24kts?

you gotta ask? why is that? you never anchor?

And in any case, what is wrong
with that?

VDO wind sensor Pyry Electronics 0 August 15th 04 06:28 PM
Wind generators Nigel Boat Building 15 May 6th 04 11:02 PM
Wind generators Nigel Cruising 13 May 6th 04 11:02 PM
Wind generators Nigel Electronics 13 May 6th 04 11:02 PM
Nasty, Nasty, Crazy Day Sailing Today Bart Senior ASA 50 November 17th 03 07:40 AM