posted to rec.boats.building

Default weed trimmer conversion to outboard mudmotor

Has anyone used a 4-cycle weed trimmer adapted to a "mudmotor"? I know
2-cycle trimmers have been used. Menards has a 27cc 4-cycle on sale and
the Adv. claims " ...more torque and power then 2-cycle ... runs
quieter...". (If you're not familiar with mud-motor, they mount on the
transom and have a long drive shaft extending rearward entering the water
at an angle. They have an advantage over a conventional outboard when
running in shallow water.)
Jim H.

posted to rec.boats.building
g g is offline

hi jim,
I built a rowing skiff. The power plant was a weed wacker. My design, an
inboard, the propeller shaft went through the hull. pictu
http://users.rcn.com/neptunium/boat/prop.jpg
I constructed the shaft with 3/4" copper pipe like used in plumbing. Inside
the pipe, a 1/4" threaded rod. The engine side of the rod, squared to fit
the motor coupling, the nylon insert from the weed wacker flexible shaft (to
keep the steel rod from bending and vibration or out of round during
operation.) On the prop end of the shaft, a skateboard bearing, then to fix
the bearing a copper coupling soldered snug. This copper coupling has an
internal ring - holds the bearing tight. Then a rubber from a skate board
truck serves as water seal. On the end of the steel rod, an internal washer
and locknut, and on the end a washer and locknut.
I'm just saying you can build your own shaft with some ordinary stuff.
I crafted my propeller from aluminum cans that I melted in a hole in the
ground in my back yard. Using a clay bisque pot for crucible, and hair dryer
for draft fan, and wood for fuel, I melted the aluminum.
First I made a clay prop. Then I made a mold from plaster of paris. It was
all guess work making the prop diameter and the pitch. First prop turned out
too big and too much pitch. If your buying a prop you should have no
problem. These weed wackers are like 2 horse power. A prop for 2 horse
should work. I threaded my prop on center and put a cotter pin to keep it
from unscrewing.
Mine was 2 stroke. And it smoked a lot. I built a muffler and tail pipe but
the smoke followed the boat sometimes. Go with 4 stroke if you have one -
less smoke.
I do think what you want to do is ok. Your idea is great, just remember to
bring paddles with your boat if you get stuck.
greg
"jimhigh66" wrote in message
lkaboutboats.com...
Has anyone used a 4-cycle weed trimmer adapted to a "mudmotor"? I know
2-cycle trimmers have been used. Menards has a 27cc 4-cycle on sale and
the Adv. claims " ...more torque and power then 2-cycle ... runs
quieter...". (If you're not familiar with mud-motor, they mount on the
transom and have a long drive shaft extending rearward entering the water
at an angle. They have an advantage over a conventional outboard when
running in shallow water.)
Jim H.

posted to rec.boats.building

Per jimhigh66:
(If you're not familiar with mud-motor, they mount on the
transom and have a long drive shaft extending rearward entering the water
at an angle. They have an advantage over a conventional outboard when
running in shallow water.)

AKA "Dragon Tail"?
--
PeteCresswell

posted to rec.boats.building

Per Jim Conlin:
Like this?
http://www.thewhiskeydragon.net/phot...icture_120.jpg

Exactly.

Same thing?
--
PeteCresswell
posted to rec.boats.building

Some weed Trimmer,
4 cylinder overhead cam liquid cooled weed trimmer.

Some how I don't think you mean - Exactly -

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Jim Conlin:
Like this?
http://www.thewhiskeydragon.net/phot...icture_120.jpg

Exactly.

Same thing?

posted to rec.boats.building

Per Matt Colie:
Some weed Trimmer,
4 cylinder overhead cam liquid cooled weed trimmer.

Some how I don't think you mean - Exactly -

I meant "exactly" in the sense of the photo matching what I used to call a
"Dragon Tail"
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Matt Colie:
Some weed Trimmer,
4 cylinder overhead cam liquid cooled weed trimmer.

Some how I don't think you mean - Exactly -

I meant "exactly" in the sense of the photo matching what I used to call a
"Dragon Tail"

I know, I know, but it was Just Too Good to pass up.

Kind of like when (years ago) I was told that this guy had a 6-71 diesel
outboard (he did - they were called harbor masters and mostly were sold
to the military to make barges self powered) I thought it was a joke
until I saw it smoking.

Honda really did build a 250cc liquid cooled chain saw (prototype only).

Yah Jest Never Know.

Thank you for the opportunity to spike a cheap one.

Matt Colie

Weed Eater Conversion t Boat Building 6 July 19th 06 03:14 AM
100th Anniversary of Outboard Don White General 6 July 16th 05 03:28 AM
Force 9.9hp to 15hp Outboard Conversion Questions [email protected] General 2 December 24th 04 12:02 AM
Jet Outboard / Conversion ? Bob La Londe General 4 December 29th 03 06:56 AM
Tiller and outboard - which one controls ? Sven General 6 December 6th 03 03:15 AM