LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  

First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Feb 2012
Default Morris Vedette /Datsun/Nissan 1200

Hi guys,

This is my first post here and was hoping for some of your expert knowledge to a passionate boater over here in Aussieland (or downunder).

I have been searching unsuccessfully for a Morris motor of any kind or ilk over here for a few months now.As they are getting rarer the only motors available are getting very pricey.
I have all the marine gear off the marininised version of the motor.It is not exactly a Morris Vedette but pretty close.The gear I have has a home made marine (watercooled) manifold with the carby on it.I had it on another boat and it worked a treat for several years.I have the marine sump and the bellhousings and the marine gearbox.All I need is the motor to fit it all to.

Here is my question....There are lots of Datsun/Nissan 1200 motors around the place and as I understand it they are a copy of the Morris motor.So, will the marine gear fit onto a Datsun/Nissan motor? Or will I have to modify things to suit? This is not an option as I do not have the skills to do much else other than just bolt on the marine gear.
By the way I have had a couple of bots with these beautiful little motors in them and they are gems! I have aslo had a boat with a home made/modified marinised Datsun motor in it and it was a gem too.Very reliable.Unfortunately I don't have access to these old boats anymore to have a good look at the motors.

Thank you in advance for any light on the subject.

Cheers,
Tonywal.
  #2   Report Post  

First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonywal View Post
Hi guys,

This is my first post here and was hoping for some of your expert knowledge to a passionate boater over here in Aussieland (or downunder).

I have been searching unsuccessfully for a Morris motor of any kind or ilk over here for a few months now.As they are getting rarer the only motors available are getting very pricey.
I have all the marine gear off the marininised version of the motor.It is not exactly a Morris Vedette but pretty close.The gear I have has a home made marine (watercooled) manifold with the carby on it.I had it on another boat and it worked a treat for several years.I have the marine sump and the bellhousings and the marine gearbox.All I need is the motor to fit it all to.

Here is my question....There are lots of Datsun/Nissan 1200 motors around the place and as I understand it they are a copy of the Morris motor.So, will the marine gear fit onto a Datsun/Nissan motor? Or will I have to modify things to suit? This is not an option as I do not have the skills to do much else other than just bolt on the marine gear.
By the way I have had a couple of bots with these beautiful little motors in them and they are gems! I have aslo had a boat with a home made/modified marinised Datsun motor in it and it was a gem too.Very reliable.Unfortunately I don't have access to these old boats anymore to have a good look at the motors.

Thank you in advance for any light on the subject.

Cheers,
Tonywal.
I ended up getting hold of a Morris Minor engine after all so now I just have to put the marine bits on and I'll have a nice little reliable quiet motor.

Cheers,
Tony.