posted to alt.sailing

Default Sail rigging question from newbie

I am totally new to sailing.
We just bought a 9.5' Nutshell pram and got it
in the lake. It rows just fine!
We are uncertain about the rigging
(and do not want to "too often" bother the seller).

The sail looks like the first picture and drawing he
http://www.jimsboats.com/15sep11.htm
or
http://www.clcboats.com/life-of-boat...-lug-rigs.html
(no fixed "gooseneck")
So, it the sail type = "lug" ?

I think we have the rigging mostly correct,
but for the "boom".
Should the "boom" be secured in any way to the mast?
(noting, obviously the "yard" is connected to mast by "Halyard")

Or, should the forward end of "boom" be secured to bow of boat?
(It does have a rope.)

Or, should the boom, and thus whole sail just stay free?
(or,,,, secured only between halyard and ----'lines to control'
Great frustration, I have the book "Royce's Sailing Illustrated"
but still not easy to find the correct terms! )

posted to alt.sailing

"a425couple" wrote in message
[...]

Hiya,
Welcome!
I don't know this exact type of boat but generally speaking the boom will
need to be secured to the mast loosely so it cannot fly around. I don't
think the forward end of the boom should be connected to the bows but it may
be a possibility depending on the type of boat. I've never seen that before
but you'll need to find an experieced lugsailer to be sure!

It is a lugsail rig. Anything hauled up the mast is hauled by a halyard as
you rightly say.

There should be a mainsheet ( sheet = sail control rope ) which is likely to
attach near the aft end of the boom, some of them attach via a block and
pulley system to reduce the effort required to pull the mainsail in.
However, whatever works for you is not wrong!

Hope that helps

Regards
TonyB

posted to alt.sailing

"TonyB" wrote in message...
[...]

Yes. Thanks. I'll ask again here, when I've figured out
next question.

Meanwhile,the good news is although it seems
Kind'a Frustrating so far,,, but really not too bad, after plenty of
tries Thursday sailed it back to about 100' from dock (then row!),
and Friday sailed it back to about 50' from dock.
So, not secure controlability, but eventually somehow get there.

posted to alt.sailing

"TonyB" wrote in message...
[...]

Fairly clearly, the former owner did it that way.
I've not found any evidence that anyone else does it like
that though!!!

[...]

Thanks again.
The best key words are = balanced lug sail

Here is one youtube video about them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E35-enwImJw

at about 1 minute on this one shows how they secure it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTNLI7VXnLI
Phoenix III - Balance Lugsail Rig

or, barely seen here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGzkTPxf7tM
Perfect wind.divx

Newbie Question: 40' Performance Cruiser question (including powerplant) charliekilo Cruising 19 October 19th 05 02:30 PM
Rigging cutter question Roger Long Cruising 21 September 17th 05 05:26 PM
Rigging Question N1EE ASA 117 January 17th 04 11:39 PM
Rigging Tool Question N1EE ASA 6 January 10th 04 06:47 PM
newbie again, rigging question Doug Miller ASA 0 July 7th 03 10:34 PM