Steve

Default How to Swedge Battery Cable Lugs??

I have been buying #00, #0 and #1 battery cable, (the tinned marine grade
with the fine strands) and the proper lugs. However, my crimping tool will
only do up to #4 gage.

I've tried soldering with my 150 watt soldering iron and as others have
worned, the solder wicks up into the strands, making it to stiff.

These stiff ends are hard on the electrical terminals that they attach to.
I want to redo about a dozen lugs that I have concerns about.

How do all the rest of you crimp or swedge these lugs??

I've seen a tool that is used by the guys building DIY electric cars and off
grid elect systems. These were just a steel saddle that the lug/cable end
rest in and a crimping die is driven down over the open side. They were
using a heavy hammer for the force and that give me some concern (lack of
control, etc.).

I've seen some professional tools in the electrical supply catalogs but they
are pretty expensive for doing a dozen cable ends. (several hundred
dollars).

I'm thinking there should be some kinda die similar to that used for
NicoPress swedge rigging sleeves. (come to think of it, I have one and I may
try a test and see if it would work)

Or perhaps the marine suppliers?? But, then I already have purchased, mail
order, all of my cable. Not sure they would do it for me..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Glenn Ashmore

I have made up a bunch of them. A big lug swage looks like a small
seesaw with teeth on the bottom. Cost about $20 and works up to 4/0. You
place the lug in the propper notch, position the wire in the lug and
give the device a healthy whack with a BIG hammer. Slip a piece of heat
shrink tube over the lug and toast it with a heat gun.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jim Hollenback

Steve ) wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you can find an electrical contractor that has the swage and would
be willing to do your cable ends for a "nominal" fee?

--
Jim Hollenback

my opinion.
Keith

You can also use a clamp, vise, or other to crimp down that hammer crimper.
Another idea I've heard but haven't tried is to use the tool that holds
copper tubing to flare it.

--

Keith
__

Steve wrote:

[...]

Gordon Wedman

If this "seesaw" is the same thing I used at my local chandlery you can get
more control by putting it in a vise and squeezing. It crimped everything
together but didn't look that neat. I've soldered a bunch of these using a
propane torch and I think the finished product is OK if the cable isn't
moving around. If there is a possibility of movement maybe a clamp of some
kind could restrict this?
In addition to electrical contractors you might find a welding equipment
supplier that would be able to help.

Steve wrote:

[...]

Steve

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message
If there is a possibility of movement maybe a clamp of some
kind could restrict this?
In addition to electrical contractors you might find a welding equipment

The movement, if any is from thermal expansion. Things get a little warm
when the charger is cranking out 100 plus amps. However, I think my problem
is a general lack of flex if there isn't exact alignment to the terminal
stud.

I'm presently replacing on DC terminal stud and insulator block on the back
of my Inverter/Charger.. This unit is in a locker, on a slide out shelf. I
must first attach the battery cables to the back of the unit, secure them to
the shelf and slide the unit into place. Appearently there is some slight
movement of the DC cables while I am sliding it into place because twice now
I have ended up with a high resistance connection on the negative terminal.
This over heated the cables, terminal stud and melted the insulator block. I
just machined a new one from insulator material and increased the stud from
5/16" plated steel to 3/8" bronze.

If this problem presists, I will go to insulated buss bars to bring the
connection out from behind the unit. Then the final connections can be made
after the unit is in place. This is what I have done in and around my
battery disconnects, Hi amp circuit breakers and heavy connection terminals.
Works well and looks great.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

____m___~Ώτ____m_____

Steve wrote:

[...]

I've used the crimping dies that are used for crimping hydralic hose ends on
hoses. A #4 hose die crimps them tight and neat. Shrink tube finishes the
job. Local hydralic hose shop may be willing to do it for you.
--
________m___~Ώτ____m______________________________ _____
Glenn Ashmore

What size alternator? I had to run 350MCM locomotive cable to my
Prosine 2000. (10' run total) Talk about wrasslin' an anaconda in the
bilge. I didn't do those connectors though. I cut the cable to length
and took it all down to the Norfork Southern maintenance barn and got
them to swage it for me. It is really amazing the free help you can get
when you show them a picture of a half finished 45' boat in the
backyard. :-)

Steve wrote:

[...]

Doug

I use the professional tool when at the shop, however, years ago I wired a
lot of DC battery banks for a college physics department. The technique I
used then was to clamp the very tip of lug in a vise, with the cup oriented
up. Then I applied heat from a propane torch to the cup and puddled a lot of
solder in the cup and inserted the wire down into the cup. I had C clamps
and vise grips with curved jaws set up as a guide to hold the wire as the
solder cooled. Hard to describe, but the tinned wire was threaded down
through the C clamps and the vise grips jaws so that all I had to do was
slip it in the cup puddle when I had enough molten solder in the cup. Heat
shrink tubing over the finished connection.
Doug K7ABX

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

What size alternator? I had to run 350MCM locomotive cable to my
Prosine 2000. (10' run total) Talk about wrasslin' an anaconda in the

I only have a 100 amp alternator but haven't completed the installation. I'm
presently still using the 'silly' 30 amp OEM altenator but I haven't been
using it to charge the main battery bank.

I tried using single #2/0 cable to connect the 2000 watt inverter/charger to
the main battery buss but it was too stiff and on the recommendation of the
OEM (Exide) I ended up using #1 gage cable in pairs to the pos./neg. to gain
flexibility.

My largest load on the main battery bank, aside from the inverter, is the
anchor windlass. This circuit breaker is connected to the battery disconnect
with a buss bar and #2/0 cable for the rest of the run to the windlass
controller. Here again I am a bit concerned with the stress this heavy cable
may be exerting on the breaker terminal. Here again, I notice that the OEMs
of the breaker and the windlass use only 5/16" terminal bolt while
recommending cable as heavy as #2/0. (what would the circular mils be of a
wimpy 5/16" bolt after you dedect the threads??. I believe that is the
reason for my high resistance connection, more-so than a loose connection.)

Steve
s/v Good Intentions