Jonathan Ganz

Default Coronado 23?

Someone has offered to donate a 1971, with a running 6hp Evinrude to our
program. It's about the right size for what we're looking for. We've been
told that set screw on the tiller arm snapped this past weekend and the
tiller is now at a 45 degree angle to the center of the boat. I don't think
this would be too difficult to fix, though. At the moment, I don' have any
other details.

Any comments on other problems we should look for specific to this
make/year? I'm going to take a look at it early next week.

Jonathan

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

DSK

Jonathan Ganz wrote:
Someone has offered to donate a 1971, with a running 6hp Evinrude to our
program. It's about the right size for what we're looking for.

How much does it cost to landfill a boat in your area?

DSK

Jonathan Ganz

I know it's ugly, but if it works...

To answer your question... the Army Corps of Engineers dock is always
available. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Jonathan Ganz wrote:
Someone has offered to donate a 1971, with a running 6hp Evinrude to our
program. It's about the right size for what we're looking for.

How much does it cost to landfill a boat in your area?

DSK

DSK

Jonathan Ganz wrote:
I know it's ugly, but if it works...

What do you mean by "works"?

Actually, the Coronado 23 isn't such a bad boat, it's essentially the
same as the Columbia 23 of a few years earlier but made much more
cheaply (like about 2/3 the cost and much cheaper labor).

To answer your question... the Army Corps of Engineers dock is always
available. :-)

Take the boat, remove the motor, sails, lines, fittings, and anything
else that looks like it might be of service, and drop it off anonymously
at the COE docks. You'll be glad you did!

For a couple of years I chased around the Southeast trying to get boat
donations for a sailing club. After a year of taking a couple of junkers
that cost more money & work to get sailing, I started raising my
standards. We still got boats. And after the demonstration of how
serious the club was, a much wealthier organization bought us 8 brand
new boats!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Gilligan

Here's how it works. It costs them more to get rid of the boat than it is
worth. Donate it and get an inflated tax deduction. Tell them you'll take
the boat and some cash to get it operable. Who knows, they may chip in
250-500 bucks. You only get what you negotiate for.

Gilligan
"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Someone has offered to donate a 1971, with a running 6hp Evinrude to our
program. It's about the right size for what we're looking for. We've been
told that set screw on the tiller arm snapped this past weekend and the
tiller is now at a 45 degree angle to the center of the boat. I don't

think
this would be too difficult to fix, though. At the moment, I don' have any
other details.

Any comments on other problems we should look for specific to this
make/year? I'm going to take a look at it early next week.

Jonathan

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jonathan Ganz

I don't think it's anything like that. The guy who owns it was sailing it
last week when the tiller screw broke. I've been told it's in decent shape.
I believe he's getting too old to sail it. The question was is there
anything specific about that make/year that isn't obvious.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:28:25 -0800, "Jonathan Ganz"

wrote:

"Works" in our view is that it works for teaching. Do you know of anything
specifically to look for beyond the obvious stuff?

On that boat it will ALL be obvious stuff. It was not a great boat when it
was
new and fresh. It has been neglected to the point where it is not really
saleable. They are offering it to you before they scrap it. That's not
really a
donation, or a gift, in my opinion. It's trying to get rid of a liability.
They
may, in fact feel they are being considerate to offer it to you before
grinding
it up, just in case you want it. That's nice of them, but you really can't
afford to take it if you are on a low budget. An old stay lets go, someone
gets
injured, and your whole operation is history in a split second. Depending
on how
it is set up, you could be personally liable for every thing you are worth
present and future, as well.

BB

Jonathan Ganz

Well certainly. Of course, sailing in the bay does say something about the
boat. My concern is that something broke. What else is broken or about to
break...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:11:22 -0800, "Jonathan Ganz"

wrote:

I don't think it's anything like that. The guy who owns it was sailing it
last week when the tiller screw broke. I've been told it's in decent
shape.
I believe he's getting too old to sail it. The question was is there
anything specific about that make/year that isn't obvious.

Just be wary. You could end up with a liability rather than a boat. Just
because a boat was sailing last week does not indicate much of anything
about
it's real condition. Boats float right up until they sink, if you get my
drift...

BB

Horvath

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:50:14 -0800, "Jon-boy Ganz"
wrote this crap:

Well certainly. Of course, sailing in the gay does say something about the
boat.

That's your preference.

Jonathan Ganz

"Horvath" wrote in message
Well certainly. Of course, sailing while gay does say something about the
owner.

That's my preference.

HARKEN announces new high performance boom for Coronado 27 Simple Simon ASA 2 October 27th 03 07:35 AM
Coronado 27 kicks ass. Capt. Mooron ASA 10 August 21st 03 10:36 PM
Coronado 20 something Bobsprit ASA 1 August 13th 03 05:52 PM
Coronado Figures CANDChelp ASA 3 July 26th 03 03:24 AM
Another happy Coronado owner checks in. Simple Simon ASA 5 July 24th 03 09:03 PM