posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Ground Plane for aluminum boat

Does anyone know how to attach a 3-4" copper foil (ground plane) to an
aluminum boat from the antenna turner??

Thanx

Hanz

Hanz Schmidt wrote:
Does anyone know how to attach a 3-4" copper foil (ground plane) to an
aluminum boat from the antenna turner??

Thanx

Hanz

Drill big holes in the bottom of the boat and use big stainless bolts
and tighten the bejesus out of all of it!!!!!!!!!

NOT Aluminum is metal. It is a good conductor. Why add copper?
posted to rec.boats.electronics

I've been told NOT to attach copper to and aluminum hull.. It will eat
the aluminum..

Can I use an aluminum 3-4" foil??

Hanz

Hanz Schmidt wrote:
I've been told NOT to attach copper to and aluminum hull.. It will eat
the aluminum..

Can I use an aluminum 3-4" foil??

Hanz

Yes, but why? You don't NEED to.
--
73,

Larry, W1HJF
rapp at lmr dot com
posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article ,
Hanz Schmidt wrote:

Does anyone know how to attach a 3-4" copper foil (ground plane) to an
aluminum boat from the antenna turner??

Thanx

Hanz

Hmmmm, You say you have an Alumiunum Hull, that you would like to use
as an RF Ground for your MF/HF AutoAntenna Tuner, at least I assume it
is an Autotuner. Why are you using Copper foil in the First Place?
Just how far is the AutoTuner mounted from the Aluminum that you would
be using for RF Ground? I suspect that maybe your Autotuner is mounted
ON the aluminum, that is part of the Hull, or at least welded to the
the Hull, in which case a two inch hunk of #12 Copper, or if you prefer
Aluminum, Wire, from the Ground Stud, on the Autotuner, to one of the
Mounting bolts of the Autotuner, will be MORE than enough to do the job.
Now make sure that you Antenna Lead coming of the Antenna Port of your
Autotuner, is NOT tyewrapped to ANY portion of the Aluminum Hull, or
any portion of anything that is Welded or Grounded to the aluminum
Hull. Keep you antenna at least 6 Inches away from ANY Grounded
Surface, for its entire run, to the far end of the Antenna System

There....that should work just "Jim Dandy", or Spiffy as the case may be

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Hanz Schmidt wrote in
:

I'm afraid of using copper. Can the 3-4" aluminum be use instead of
copper foil??

RF isn't too finicky about "foil"....or roof flashing....or even wire, as
long as it doesn't have any of those yachtie-neat sharp turns in it. As
a matter of fact, the more SHORT paths to that nice aluminum hull, the
better!

Polish off the aluminum oxide that coats everything, including the end of
the aluminum wire from the tuner ground post. Use several RING, not
spade (yecch), terminals crimped to several aluminum wires on the ground
bolt. Run these wires in different directions to the NEAREST bolt you
can find. Polish the bolt and all surfaces of oxide. 3 or 4 parallel
grounds in different directions makes a VERY low impedance RF ground
that'll work great. (I'm envious of anyone with a METAL boat, not
plastic with no ground.) We're looking for the shortest ground wire to
the metal boat with the least turns and NO SHARP TURNS, no matter how
"neat" it looks.

Make sure you run through all the channels and RETUNE the tuner on each
frequency after making any changes to antenna or ground installation as
the whole tuning chart needs to be redone by the computer.

You should see the ham club's metal boat....the USS Yorktown (CV-10)
Naval Museum at Patriot's Point in Charleston. Their ground is a WHOLE
AIRCRAFT CARRIER! Signal reports read like we were a 50KW broadcast
flamethrower...(c; Club callsign is WA4USN (United States Navy), of
course...

Larry W4CSC....for Charleston South Carolina
--
While in Mexico, I didn't have to press 1 for Spanish.

It just isn't fair.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bob Bob is offline

You should see the ham club's metal boat....the USS Yorktown (CV-10)
Naval Museum at Patriot's Point in Charleston. Their ground is a WHOLE
AIRCRAFT CARRIER! Signal reports read like we were a 50KW broadcast
flamethrower...(c; Club callsign is WA4USN (United States Navy), of
course...

Larry W4CSC....for Charleston South Carolina

Hey Larry,

Here is a bit of trivia for you.
Who welded the name on the CV 10 while she was at the Bremerton
shipyard geting refit for jets and Korea?

Bob

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bob Bob is offline

Default Ground Plane for aluminum boat: OT for Larry

On Jul 5, 9:58 am, Bob wrote:
You should see the ham club's metal boat....the USS Yorktown (CV-10)
Naval Museum at Patriot's Point in Charleston. Their ground is a WHOLE
AIRCRAFT CARRIER! Signal reports read like we were a 50KW broadcast
flamethrower...(c; Club callsign is WA4USN (United States Navy), of
course...

Larry W4CSC....for Charleston South Carolina

Hey Larry,

Here is a bit of trivia for you.
Who welded the name on the CV 10 while she was at the Bremerton
shipyard geting refit for jets and Korea?

Bob

Mac26X fit for all waters Ed Gordon Cruising 102 June 22nd 07 12:06 AM
So where is...................... *JimH* General 186 November 28th 05 03:29 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 September 29th 04 05:19 AM
Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 March 18th 04 10:15 AM