posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

Default Heavy anchor for canoe?

Howdy!

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

Thanks!

donquijote1954 wrote:

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

You want an anchor that holds, which is not necessarily the same thing
as a heavy anchor. There are lightweight anchors that hold quite well.
And heavy anchors that don't.

The primary determining factor is what sort of bottom you canoe over.
The characteristics of the bottom determine the optimum anchor. That
said, a basic small danforth should be fine for most situations.

BTW, do not abandon your boat. It drives the first responders crazy.
Thanks.

//Walt

donquijote1954 wrote:
Howdy!

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

Thanks!

I'd suggest trying a gallon plastic jug full of sand, cement, scrap
metal, or anything heavy.
The plastic won't scratch up the bottom of the boat.
Tie a line to the handle on the jug.
In my neighbourhood we have plastic recyling so you can find plastic
jugs at the curb on garbage day. Cheap to replace when necessary.
In pre-plastic times we used a gallon paint can full of cement on a 16
foot fishing boat.

Boating books say to put out 5-6 times a smuch line as depth, ie in 6
ft of water put out 30 ft of anchor line. That's partly to get the
spokes on patented anchors to dig in but also to put some spring in the
line to reduce anchor drag.

Walt wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

You want an anchor that holds, which is not necessarily the same thing
as a heavy anchor. There are lightweight anchors that hold quite well.
And heavy anchors that don't.

The primary determining factor is what sort of bottom you canoe over.
The characteristics of the bottom determine the optimum anchor. That
said, a basic small danforth should be fine for most situations.

Well, I got a 5.5 lbs grapnel and intend to test its hold and upsize as
necessary or change to the type you mention. And they look like a
formidable weapon to boot!

By the way, I think the bottom is loose sand (Florida Intracostal) but
haven't seen it.

BTW, do not abandon your boat. It drives the first responders crazy.
Thanks.

I know but I may have seashore no more than a mile away and likely to
be a block away and swimming is always a good option before rescue.
THANKS!

Wm Watt wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:
Howdy!

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

Thanks!

I'd suggest trying a gallon plastic jug full of sand, cement, scrap
metal, or anything heavy.
The plastic won't scratch up the bottom of the boat.
Tie a line to the handle on the jug.
In my neighbourhood we have plastic recyling so you can find plastic
jugs at the curb on garbage day. Cheap to replace when necessary.
In pre-plastic times we used a gallon paint can full of cement on a 16
foot fishing boat.

Recycling is always a good idea!

Boating books say to put out 5-6 times a smuch line as depth, ie in 6
ft of water put out 30 ft of anchor line. That's partly to get the
spokes on patented anchors to dig in but also to put some spring in the
line to reduce anchor drag.

So I got a 100' rope, which seemed to me twice as long as necessary,
should I cut at 50'?

By the way, DO I NEED A CHAIN???

Walt wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

You want an anchor that holds, which is not necessarily the same thing
as a heavy anchor. There are lightweight anchors that hold quite well.
And heavy anchors that don't.

The primary determining factor is what sort of bottom you canoe over.
The characteristics of the bottom determine the optimum anchor. That
said, a basic small danforth should be fine for most situations.

Well, you seem to be right. I quote here...

Grapnel Type: This style of anchor works much like a
grappling hook. It takes hold of debris or rocks at the
bottom. It is ineffective on muddy or sandy bottoms but
works fairly well out at the jetties. Be prepared to loose
this anchor though.

On the other hand...

Danforth/Fortress type anchor: This type of anchor is
one of the best anchors for holding in many different
types of bottom composition. It weighs less than other
anchors yet holds better due to its design. These anchors
usually perform better when a short length of chain is
used as a leader before the rope is attached.

http://www.texasgulfcoastfishing.com/anchors.htm

Thanks. So I guess I'll go and exchange before it's too late.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

Default How about this anchor?

In 4 lbs? Is this the same as Danforth?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

It sounds like me, though I'm not fishing and I don't mind the
swinging...

"Once you've found biting fish, you may want to anchor the canoe in
position. When anchoring a canoe use two anchors to minimize the boat
from swinging (unless you intentionally want to do so to fish a wider
area). To properly anchor a canoe, put one off the bow and the other
directly off the stern. Do not tie anchors off the sides of a canoe as
this can lead the canoe turning over in heavy waves. Mushroom or river
anchors between eight- to 15-pounds coupled with nylon rope will work
for most canoes. When tying off anchors use quick-release knots so
slack line can be let out in the event of unexpected waves surprising
you to ensure the canoe doesn't become swamped."

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...objectID=30095

So one on the bow with short chain should do. Preferably Danforth.

donquijote1954 wrote:
In 4 lbs? Is this the same as Danforth?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Yes, that is a Danforth anchor. You don't need a big one for a canoe.

//Walt
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

On 8 Nov 2006 14:00:43 -0800, "donquijote1954"
wrote:

It sounds like me, though I'm not fishing and I don't mind the
swinging...

"Once you've found biting fish, you may want to anchor the canoe in
position. When anchoring a canoe use two anchors to minimize the boat
from swinging (unless you intentionally want to do so to fish a wider
area). To properly anchor a canoe, put one off the bow and the other
directly off the stern. Do not tie anchors off the sides of a canoe as
this can lead the canoe turning over in heavy waves.

Anchors at both ends seems risky to me unless one has a lot of slack
rope. I'd not do it myself, even with slack. Wind or tide or current
should keep a canoe pointed / placed in one direction for quite a
while with just one anchor.
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

http://www.visi.com/~cyli