posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Default boat fitting for a newbie

My boat is too big for me. If I start adding foam how do I know when
I've added the right amount? How bowlegged should my posture be?
Thanks.

Davej wrote:
My boat is too big for me. If I start adding foam how do I know when
I've added the right amount? How bowlegged should my posture be?
Thanks.

When you can control the boat, you've padded it out enough.
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

"Davej" wrote...
My boat is too big for me. If I start adding foam how do I know when
I've added the right amount? How bowlegged should my posture be?

You want your knees comfortably "wedged" under the cockpit rail. You will
likely have to adjust the foot braces as well as the foam under the rail.

When you can easily rock the boat back & forth with your knees while your upper
body stays vertical, you're there.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

John Weiss wrote:
"Davej" wrote...
My boat is too big for me. If I start adding foam how do I know when
I've added the right amount? How bowlegged should my posture be?

You want your knees comfortably "wedged" under the cockpit rail. You will
likely have to adjust the foot braces as well as the foam under the rail.

When you can easily rock the boat back & forth with your knees while your upper
body stays vertical, you're there.

Well if I shorten up the pedals more and more my legs get situated more
and more bowlegged which puts them more securely under the thigh pads.
The thigh pads do not look adjustable. I'm just not sure I want to be
or should be locking myself into a bowlegged position. Thanks.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

"Davej" wrote...

You want your knees comfortably "wedged" under the cockpit rail. You will
likely have to adjust the foot braces as well as the foam under the rail.

When you can easily rock the boat back & forth with your knees while your
upper
body stays vertical, you're there.

Well if I shorten up the pedals more and more my legs get situated more
and more bowlegged which puts them more securely under the thigh pads.
The thigh pads do not look adjustable. I'm just not sure I want to be
or should be locking myself into a bowlegged position. Thanks.

A lot depends on the relative size of the boat and you. If you are small, and
the boat is built for a bigger person (or the cockpit is unusually wide), you
may benefit from more foam.

Your knees need to be spread somewhat so you can control the boat. You can try
moving the foot braces back, and see how comfortable the resulting position is.
If you feel too bowlegged, add some more foam to bring your knees down & in a
bit. A knowledgeable friend on site will be helpful, too.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Might get some good ideas he http://www.kayakfit.com/

For touring, I vote for snug, but not tight. For WW, tighter than that.

Have yu considered a smallber boat instead?

Steve

Davej wrote:
My boat is too big for me. If I start adding foam how do I know when
I've added the right amount? How bowlegged should my posture be?
Thanks.

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 January 18th 06 06:48 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 December 19th 05 06:37 AM
Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
Where to find ramp stories? designo General 15 December 9th 03 09:57 PM
Dealing with a boat fire, checking for a common cause Gould 0738 General 14 November 5th 03 02:13 PM