Robert 7

Default My motor - leaking oil near lower unit? (with photo)

Before winter, I replaced the lower unit oil and lubricated the propeller
shaft. Yesterday, I ran the motor for the first time this year for about 10
min (of course with a big bucket of water). and then stored the boat back
in the garage. Today, I saw there is oil on the floor!!! see attached
photo.

I examined the lower unit drain plug, the oil wasn't leaking from there.
Instead, it leaked from the red arrow shown in the photo. Is that normal?
Was that because I pumped too much lower unit oil in winter time?? or should
I get a professional marina to take a look? Help... The motor is a
Mercury 15 HP, 2 cycle.

Here is the photo I took today:
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...ak/leaking.jpg

Help...

Rob

Tony Thomas

Looks like the rear propshaft seal is leaking. Take to a mechanic and have
them check it out. If it is leaking - you will get water in the gearcase
and can ruin the gears.
However, the color of the oil does not look like gearcase oil. Did you use
the correct oil?

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Robert 7" wrote in message
ogers.com...
[...]

Phil

That looks like unburnt oil from the exhaust (which comes out of the prop
hub) leaking out between the prop and the lower unit. 2 stokes put out a
lot of unburnt oil while running in a bucket. Also, the oil looks dark
since it traverses the exhaust system. Don't worry.....

"Robert 7" wrote in message
ogers.com...
[...]

Jim

You blew a seal...nothing to get upset about....about a 20-40 dollar fix
including labour and the seal is located at the top of the leg where it
connects to the motor. I had the same thing happen to a 9.9 mariner...oil
started druelling out the bottom end as black as soot. It is a minor fix but
will be major if you take it to the water and run it.
Hope I was of some help

Jim

"Phil" wrote in message
That looks like unburnt oil from the exhaust (which comes out of the prop
hub) leaking out between the prop and the lower unit. 2 stokes put out a
lot of unburnt oil while running in a bucket. Also, the oil looks dark
since it traverses the exhaust system. Don't worry.....

"Robert 7" wrote in message
ogers.com...
[...]

Greg O

"Robert 7" wrote in message
ogers.com...
Before winter, I replaced the lower unit oil and lubricated the propeller
shaft. Yesterday, I ran the motor for the first time this year for about

10
min (of course with a big bucket of water). and then stored the boat back
in the garage. Today, I saw there is oil on the floor!!! see attached
photo.

Looks like oil drippng from the exhaust to me. Keep an eye on it, my bet is
it will drip for a day or two then quit. If it contunues to drip, it could
be the shaft seal, but considering if it was gear lube the drips would be
cleaner.
My 115 Johnson drips like this too. first time I freaked a bit too, then
realized what it was.
Greg

Robert 7

Thanks.. I have more questions. How do I examine it is broken seal or
unburnt oil?

Forgot to tell, when I tried to start the motor that day, I turned the
switch to "off". I knew that was stupid.. So, I keep pulling the cord for
10-15 times at least until I realized I switch it off.. Was that the reason
to cause unburnt oil like Phil said? or is that really seal broken like you
said?

Also, I use SAE 90 lower gear oil for lower unit (more yellow color).. since
the oil I see is black, can I eliminate it is not lower gear oil?

I am frustrated... help...

Rob.

"Phil" wrote in message
That looks like unburnt oil from the exhaust (which comes out of the

prop
hub) leaking out between the prop and the lower unit. 2 stokes put out

lot of unburnt oil while running in a bucket. Also, the oil looks dark
since it traverses the exhaust system. Don't worry.....

"Robert 7" wrote in message
ogers.com...
[...]

Robert 7

It doesn't drip anymore.. only one night. Color is black as you can see,
really freaked me out!!! very annoying. See my latest post, I forgot to
tell I did something really stupid I switched to "off" and I tried to pull
the cord for many times until I realized.. so could that be the cause of
unburnt oil?

Thanks in advance

Rob..

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Robert 7" wrote in message
ogers.com...
[...]

Greg O

"Robert 7" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
It doesn't drip anymore.. only one night. Color is black as you can see,
really freaked me out!!! very annoying. See my latest post, I forgot to
tell I did something really stupid I switched to "off" and I tried to

pull
the cord for many times until I realized.. so could that be the cause of
unburnt oil?

Thanks in advance

Rob..

I believe you found the "problem"!
Greg

Camilo

"Robert 7" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
It doesn't drip anymore.. only one night. Color is black as you can see,
really freaked me out!!! very annoying. See my latest post, I forgot to
tell I did something really stupid I switched to "off" and I tried to

pull
the cord for many times until I realized.. so could that be the cause of
unburnt oil?

Hey Rob - those motors can put out a surprising amount of filthy black oily
residue out of the exhaust - and as you've probably figured out, it's
sometimes tough to figure out where the exhaust is - there is probalby one
or more actual exhaust ports on the leg as well as through the prop.
Therefore, it can drip off the lower unit in places you wouln't expect and
look like it's leaking around the prop shaft, etc. This very same thing
fooled me when I first inherited a Merc kicker (my big motor puts out a lot
of this crap as well, but it's more obvious that it's coming out the
exhaust).

As you have said, the gear oil is quite a bit different color than that -
that's probably your main way of telling. Second clue is the thickness. In
my experience leaking gear oil is still thicker than exhaust oil. I also
think (but am not sure) that if your black residue doesn't have that
distinctive gear oil smell, that would be a definitive clue.\

Hoping it's "normal",

Cam