Default House cleaning

Gregg will get a kick out of this:

In hopeful anticipation of a future move Mrs.E. and I have been going
through the house identifying items we want to keep and what to give
away, sell or chuck in the dumpster. I am taking full advantage of
this because she is one of the biggest pack-rats I've ever seen. I
figure that as long as I keep setting an example she will be willing to
dispose of half the stuff she has collected over the years.

My treasures are mostly audio gear, speakers, some tools and that sort
of stuff. I don't keep things just for the sake of keeping them like
she does.

However, as I roamed around this 7600 sq.ft. house I discovered that I
had a total of *nine* various receiver/amps that I've used at one time
or another. They range from Yamaha stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 home theater
types to some Denons, a Rotel a Marantz and a couple of vintage Carver
units ... one a 250 watt per channel power amp, the other a very old,
original Bob Carver receiver/amp, made in USA. This one is somewhat
valuable.

The Carver had mysteriously disappeared shortly after we moved into this
house almost 14 years ago. Turns out Mrs.E. wanted music in her horse
barn, swiped it and had some friend hook it up in the barn. I knew she
had music out there but never bothered to find out how or with what.

The other day I rescued it from the barn after almost having a heart
attack when I saw it. It was totally covered in horse dust from
shavings and whatever else grows in a horse barn. Took the cover off it
and the crap was almost a half-inch thick everywhere. Didn't dare turn
it on.

I vacuumed as much as I could but it was still covered in horse dust
crap. I hated to admit it but it was heading for the dumpster that we
rented to get rid of stuff that was junk.

I couldn't do it. I stuck it in the sink, dosed it with dish detergent
and washed it with a heavy hot water spray and a soft brush. Everything
in it got soaking wet, but it's now clean as a whistle. Hit it with a
hair drying for about 15 minutes and am now going to let it sit for a
few days before putting power to it. Hopefully it won't blow up.

I'll report the outcome.

On 4/8/14, 5:30 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

Take another look at the Carlin bit on "stuff":

http://tinyurl.com/d5ebg95

On 4/8/2014 5:35 PM, F*O*A*D wrote:
[...]

A Classic.

People think I am kidding but I am not. My wife has a box full of
canceled checks in the basement that date back to 1971.
She keeps them "just in case".

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 5:30:53 PM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

You can warm your oven up to about 150 degrees, turn it off, the put the amp in there. As long as there's no plastic parts to warp (like power meter faces) it will not hurt the electronics and will help dry them out. It would still be good to give it some time to completely dry out. The biggest worry for me would be water in the transformer. Oh, and pull the AC fuse that's probably on a screw-in or bayonet holder on the back panel to let it dry.

If you have an issue, it can still be brought back to life by a competent tech. Hang on to it!

On 4/8/2014 9:14 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 15:01:29 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

Back when it was worth fixing a keyboard we would wash them with
purple soap solution in a sprayer (basically the IBM version of Simple
Green), blow it out with a vacuum cleaner and put it in the car to dry
it.
That also worked to bake epoxy and make it set quicker.
(AKA the Florida solar oven)

In total violation of Navy PMS procedures I used to take the exciter
racks out of 100,000 watt transmitters and wash them in a deep sink.
Old equipment but after a bath/shower and then drying completely they
were much easier to tune up and calibrate. It also became easier to
determine caps that were out of spec or leaking. The CO in charge of
the transmitter site caught me doing it one day and nearly flipped out
until I showed him that it was actually discussed in the transmitter
manufactures tech notes. Next thing I knew they sent me to PMS
Coordinator school in Norfolk.

The Carver will be fine. The Navy transmitters were AN/FRT-40s and
looked like this:

http://www.virhistory.com/navy/commsta/bouk/bouk-pag-01.jpg

jps jps is offline

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 17:30:53 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

[...]

Hahahaha!!! 7600 sq. ft.

No need to report the outcome, we got your message.

Boats.....Dry Ice Cleaning Steve Lusardi Boat Building 0 September 21st 10 02:04 PM
Cleaning up after... H the K General 8 July 26th 09 04:13 AM
Boat Cleaning AuricSpectre General 3 May 15th 05 07:33 PM
boat cleaning RB General 3 July 28th 04 05:59 PM
Cleaning a PFD John Q Adams General 1 August 8th 03 11:26 AM