John Addington

Default Winterize my motor - not successful?

Yesterday I tried to winterize my outboard 9.9 motor by doing the following:
(instructions provided by the local marina)

1. Start the engine until it's warm
2. Open the motor cover
3. Disconnect the fuel line (now, the motor should still be running)
4. Spray the fogging oil into the carburetor until the engine stalls.

The guy at the Marina told me that I should see a lot of white smoke when I
spray the fogging oil. However, when I did that yesterday, I just sprayed
very small portion of fogging oil into the carb and the engine stalled very
quickly. but I didn't see any white smoke? so... do I have to do it again??
or am I fine? what about the fuel? seems like fogging oil stalled the
engine but fuel wasn't not completely drained, will there be a problem in
the winter?

Thanks for help.

John.

Kent Hunter-Duvar

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 00:23:27 GMT, "John Addington"
wrote:

Yesterday I tried to winterize my outboard 9.9 motor by doing the following:
(instructions provided by the local marina)

1. Start the engine until it's warm
2. Open the motor cover
3. Disconnect the fuel line (now, the motor should still be running)
4. Spray the fogging oil into the carburetor until the engine stalls.

I've always had good luck with removing the fuel line and let it run out of gas
(in fact, per the owners manual I do this anytime I won't be using it for more
than a day or two). The off the boat, remove the spark plug(s) and squirt a
small amount of oil in each cylinder, pull the starter cord a couple of times
and put the plugs back in. Then drain the lower unit and refill with fresh gear
oil. This makes sure there's no water leaked in through a seal to freeze (it
should be changed yearly, so why not the fall?). If you find water in the oil
you drained (do look for it), instead of filling it, get the seal(s) replaced.
Beter than having to wait for a repair the middle of next season (minor if it's
still just a seal, major if the oil leaked out and the lower unit failed)

Kent