db9

Default Stowing Dinghy on Pacific Seacraft 34

I want to purchase a dinghy that can be stowed on the deck of a Pacific
Seacraft 34. Can anyone recommend a dinghy type and size? I am
concerned especially about the stowed dinghy interfering with the inner
forestay and staysail deployment.

Regards,
David B.

Larry

"db9" wrote in
oups.com:

I want to purchase a dinghy that can be stowed on the deck of a Pacific
Seacraft 34. Can anyone recommend a dinghy type and size? I am
concerned especially about the stowed dinghy interfering with the inner
forestay and staysail deployment.

Regards,
David B.

No sense getting wet every time you go ashore. Get the 12' Portabote:
http://www.porta-bote.com/
A 5hp 4 stroke Nissan will PLANE it with 2 aboard. The ride is, unlike an
inflatable, DRY, not splashing over the tubes in a little waves. Underway,
it's a virtual tri-hull V and very smooth and stable.

On the Seacraft, just haul it up the mast over the handrail with your
halyard and mast winch by its bow, hanging it vertically against the mast
while you take out the seats and stern that hold it apart. Then fold it
flat and simply walk it aft down the rail as you pay out the halyard and
strap it to the rail. It becomes a nice spray deflector at sea only 4"
thick and doesn't occupy any deck space.

Deployment takes 10 minutes after a little practice. Taking it apart even
less. Cap'n bought it because we all got drowned going ashore in the
inflatable from the anchorage in Key West. It's more trouble putting the
outboard on it than it is assembling it for use. It has oars and locks if
you wish to get a little exercise...(c; For the purist, there's a cat rig
and lateen rig to sail it.

--
Larry
Denis Marier

I like the idea of the http://www.porta-bote.com/
However, unless I am not looking at the right place I have to go trough a
firewall to know the price. I went to their site and click on FREE
InfoPrice/Pak. No pricing were available. Instead I was presented with a
form. I had to fill a request form. I could be missing something here? I
do not like to fill forms to know the purchasing price. Maybe some of the
readers can tell us the purchasing price.

"Larry" wrote in message
"db9" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

johnhh

How do the 8 and 10 foot models rate? 12' would be a little large for me.

"Larry" wrote in message
"db9" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Markus Baertschi

Denis Marier wrote:
InfoPrice/Pak. No pricing were available. Instead I was presented with a
form. I had to fill a request form. I could be missing something here?

Unfortunately the people from Porta-Bote think they have to hide the
price from their customers. A common, but quite frequent website error:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021223.html

However, typing porta-bote into google gets you some prices in a couple
of seconds, 2nd link: $1200 for the 10' model.

Markus

johnhh

http://www.porta-bote.com/prices.html

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
I like the idea of the http://www.porta-bote.com/
However, unless I am not looking at the right place I have to go trough a
firewall to know the price. I went to their site and click on FREE
InfoPrice/Pak. No pricing were available. Instead I was presented with a
form. I had to fill a request form. I could be missing something here? I
do not like to fill forms to know the purchasing price. Maybe some of the
readers can tell us the purchasing price.

"Larry" wrote in message
"db9" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Denis Marier

Thanks to everyone for their information.
Well, they say if you have to ask for the price its because you cannot
afford it!! :-)
I should have, first went to, http://www.porta-bote.com/prices.html.

"johnhh" wrote in message
http://www.porta-bote.com/prices.html

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
I like the idea of the http://www.porta-bote.com/
However, unless I am not looking at the right place I have to go trough

firewall to know the price. I went to their site and click on FREE
InfoPrice/Pak. No pricing were available. Instead I was presented with

form. I had to fill a request form. I could be missing something here?

do not like to fill forms to know the purchasing price. Maybe some of

the
readers can tell us the purchasing price.

"Larry" wrote in message
"db9" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

johnhh

There is a used one listed on ebay that look good.

"johnhh" wrote in message
http://www.porta-bote.com/prices.html

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
I like the idea of the http://www.porta-bote.com/
However, unless I am not looking at the right place I have to go trough

firewall to know the price. I went to their site and click on FREE
InfoPrice/Pak. No pricing were available. Instead I was presented with

form. I had to fill a request form. I could be missing something here?

do not like to fill forms to know the purchasing price. Maybe some of

the
readers can tell us the purchasing price.

"Larry" wrote in message
"db9" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:45:01 GMT, "Denis Marier"
wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their information.
Well, they say if you have to ask for the price its because you cannot
afford it!! :-)
I should have, first went to, http://www.porta-bote.com/prices.html.

Have you tried asking on the SailJazz.com Pacific Seacraft maillist?
There are quite a few folks that migrated over from SailNet and there
were a fair number of 34 owners on Sailnet. If you aren't familiar
with SailJazz, go to www.sailjazz.com and look where it says "Email
Lists" in the middle of the first page.

You may also be interested in a page on my website:

http://www.worldwidewiley.com/2boat.shtml

I've documented a few projects that some PSC owners from the list have
undertaken. Nothing relating to your current issue, just random stuff
people asked me to host for the group.

There are also several Yahoo Pacific Seacraft discussion groups with
searchable archives that might help.

Regards;

Glen Wilson
PSC 31 "Little Wing"
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
Larry

"johnhh" wrote in
:

How do the 8 and 10 foot models rate? 12' would be a little large for
me.

Oh, they're all the same. I think you'll get one less seat, no big deal.
There's LOTS more room in an 8' Portabote than an 8', or even 10'
inflatable because the floor goes all the way across, not between tubes.

I forgot to mention it's also unsinkable. The seats are hollow plastic and
will float it with a full load and full of water. It's quite safe.

It DOES, however, not unlike the inflatable, take a little getting used to
the FLOOR UNDER YOU BENDING as you walk around. I don't think you're ever
going to put your foot through it, but it's a bit unnerving that it flexes
underfoot so much. It actually bulges up INTO the boat by the water
pressure on the hull, not the other way around, giving it that tri-hull
shape. This bottom is actually what folds up, so it doesn't hurt it.

I saw one 20 years old, I'd guess, and it looked just like the one in the
picture..... The 8' or 10' should be just fine. They only take up less
LENGTH along the handrail than the 12'....They're still 4" thick folded up.
I suppose the 12' will plane easier as the shorter ones are the same width.

--
Larry