BF BF is offline

Default Roger Long or any other - Maine Coast

I'm guessing that there little hope of any WiFi hot spots between Freeport
and Rockland, but thought it worth asking on the off chance.
I'll be there for a weeks charter out of Rockland, end of August. I've done
Rockland north a couple of times so this year we're going to try south.
Anyone have any "must not miss" spots?
Thanks,
BF

What a world we have come to when preparing for a cruise means finding
the WiFi spots. I love the Internet as much as anybody but, really.

Whatever happened to the unexplored? Perhaps I am fortunate in being
old enough to remember it. One of the great cruises of my youth was
in an 18 foot catboat with a coal stove and not an inch of wire
installed anywhere in the boat. Just before sailing into Pleasant Bay
I opened up Roger Duncan's cruising guide to read something along the
lines of:

"This is a bay waiting to be explored. Neither the author nor any of
his correspondents knows anything about it."

What a feeling to round that point to a vista opening up that I knew
nothing about except what the chart could tell me. I knew it was sort
of like shooting the last of an endangered species and, sure enough,
the next year's addition had the full run down.

Now, we need to know where the WiFi spots are

--

Roger Long

"BF" wrote in message
I'm guessing that there little hope of any WiFi hot spots between
Freeport
and Rockland, but thought it worth asking on the off chance.
I'll be there for a weeks charter out of Rockland, end of August.
I've done
Rockland north a couple of times so this year we're going to try
south.
Anyone have any "must not miss" spots?
Thanks,
BF

BF BF is offline

Snip
Now, we need to know where the WiFi spots are

--

Don't Need To, just Want to know

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:01:14 -0400, "BF"
wrote:

I'm guessing that there little hope of any WiFi hot spots between Freeport
and Rockland, but thought it worth asking on the off chance.
I'll be there for a weeks charter out of Rockland, end of August. I've done
Rockland north a couple of times so this year we're going to try south.
Anyone have any "must not miss" spots?
Thanks,
BF

========

Brown's Wharf Marina in Boothbay Harbor had excellent WiFi service
when I was there last summer. I was able to access it from a mooring
about 400 yards away using a USB Rangemax adapter at 20 feet.

BF BF is offline

You got it right Dennis.
Probably should have asked the question in reverse order.

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
BF wrote:
I'm guessing that there little hope of any WiFi hot spots between
Freeport and Rockland, but thought it worth asking on the off chance.
I'll be there for a weeks charter out of Rockland, end of August.
I've done Rockland north a couple of times so this year we're going
to try south. Anyone have any "must not miss" spots?
Thanks,
BF

I thought that "must not miss" spots meant pleasant anchorages. Have I
mis-interpreted?

Sorry, I really didn't mean to be a smart ass. I just couldn't resist
the amusement of where we've come.

My cell phone is generally on when I'm sailing. If I had a laptop,
I'd probably be looking for WiFi too.

The golden light of the setting sun creeping up the granite cliffs
looked just the same in my anchorage last night as it did a thousand
years ago even though my GPS and cell phone were on.

--

Roger Long

"BF" wrote in message
Snip
Now, we need to know where the WiFi spots are

--

Don't Need To, just Want to know

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:42:07 -0400, "BF"
wrote:

Thanks for that Wayne, Boothbay had not been on the short list but might
move it up a spot if e-mail becomes a priority.

We spent a week there early last September and liked it a lot.

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:07:36 -0400, "BF"
wrote:

Actually, there'll be 4 cell phones, two laptops a hand held gps and a built
in gps along with radar. If I have cell phone coverage, I'll have internet
access, but WiFi is a whole lot faster.

Sounds like my boat, you can never have enough gadgets.

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 January 18th 06 06:48 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 December 19th 05 06:37 AM
So where is...................... *JimH* General 186 November 28th 05 03:29 PM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 July 31st 05 05:25 AM