Rosalie B.

Default Clever boat names

x-no-archive:yes rhys wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:26:11 GMT, WaIIy
wrote:

I'm not too much for the punny boat names.

One of the best I saw was on an 80+ sized boat...

"Sorry Kids"

Heh. Well, I LOVE punny names...or at least hearing about them. But I
think a prime consideration has to be *not* "is it funny?" but "is it
confusing to the Coast Guard when you are trying to ID your sinking
vessel?"

Perhaps a spoilsport opinion, but if it takes three attempts to
understand "SV Why Knot", I would suggest that "dangerous" has trumped
"cute".

One of my husband's normal exclamations is "OK Whatever" (When he
retired, they gave him an "OK Whatever" plaque) We considered naming
the boat that, but I thought about calling the CG- CG asks, What is
the name of your vessel - A. OK Whatever. CG What is the nature of
your distress OK Whatever? etc.

I also thought about spelling out OK in words, but the word for K is
Kilo, and I thought that might lead to unfortunate conclusions.

However, I don't mind the puny names so much as those names with a
whole lot of vowels in them. We've met people on a boat named for the
blue crab and the name means beautiful swimmer or something like that,
and when they check in on the SSB with Herb, they call themselves
something that is easier to understand. I know of a Mainship with a
name like that in beautiful script on the stern, but they have a
dinghy over it name and say that no one can ever understand their name
so they call themselves "Mainship" on the radio as if that was the
boat's name.

We met some folks on a boat named ARCTURUS, which is a star, but he
said folks have a lot of trouble with the name on the radio. It must
get tiring to have to explain your boat's name all the time.

grandma Rosalie
Rob

Sailing dinghy in Paignton, England:

Sailbad the Sinner.
Rob

Sailing dinghy in Paignton, England:

Sailbad the Sinner.
Jim Carter

Everytime someone asked me where I was going to go for the weekend, I would
answer. " I am going to the boat" . The name for my boat, a 27 foot Doral
Monticello, is "The Boat"

Jim Carter

rhys

You don't want to **** off Herb. G

We met some folks on a boat named ARCTURUS, which is a star, but he
said folks have a lot of trouble with the name on the radio. It must
get tiring to have to explain your boat's name all the time.

Now, that tells you something, as Arcturus, being one of the better
celestial navigational stars, would have been as familiar as "Polaris"
twenty years ago.

Anyway, your point about a lot of vowels is interesting. Under less
than ideal transmitting conditions, more vowels would equal less
meaning conveyed to a distant station. I wonder how the French,
Spanish and Italian Coast Guards handle the inherent "ah-ee-oo" sounds
on their radio communications at sea? I would guess they have to do a
lot more spelling out than people speaking Germanic languages.

I regularly intercept pretty weak 'n' crunchy TX from distant stations
while sailing, and I can usually follow the plot just from the way the
consonants are flowing.

R.

Keith

There is a boat named "whatever" in my marina. When the wife found out the
name they originally picked out had been used, her husband told her on the
phone to name it whatever. She did.

Another funny one around here is "excuse me". Racing sailboat... funny to
hail him though. "Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me... this is Anastasia III".
Somebody invariably asks... "so what do you want?" hehehe!

--

Keith
__

wrote:

[...]

L. M. Rappaport

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 18:34:16 GMT, "Jim Carter"
wrote (with possible editing):

Everytime someone asked me where I was going to go for the weekend, I would
answer. " I am going to the boat" . The name for my boat, a 27 foot Doral
Monticello, is "The Boat"

Jim Carter

Perhaps you should have named it "The Office".

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 10:22 PM
Harry's lobster boat? Gould 0738 General 3 December 23rd 03 07:24 AM
"Chesapeake Bay Boat Buying" followup/Boat search update Skip Gundlach Cruising 20 December 15th 03 10:50 PM
1st boat help Diverguy General 21 November 12th 03 07:40 PM
Evinrude FICHT beats out Yamaha in JD Powers survey Billgran General 60 November 4th 03 03:02 PM