Default stability of geodesic aerolite canoe

I'm thinking of building a Monfort Snowshoe 14. There are a lot of
posts about aerolite boats, but I'd like to find out how stable his
canoes are. Can anybody comment of this?

Dave W

I was hoping you would get some feedback on your question; I have had the
same thought.
wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm thinking of building a Monfort Snowshoe 14. There are a lot of
posts about aerolite boats, but I'd like to find out how stable his
canoes are. Can anybody comment of this?

William R. Watt

You could send your question to the Monfort's. When Platt Monfort was
alive he had a reputation for being very open about answering questions
about the boats. I once wrote to him to ask about fire resistence and
condensation. I never got around to building the boat I had in mind for
sleeping aboard with his method. I was going to insulate it with foam
between the stringers which I hoped would add strength and stiffness, then
make a tent for sleeping and cooking.

I've not read anything about stability problems with the boats. The only
thing is what you might call carrying stability. Reducing weight is good,
but size and shape makes any boat awkward to carry, especially if there
is a wind blowing. Making the boat light doesn't get rid of the awkwarness
problem, in fact the light boat gets blown around more while you're
carrying it.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm