Default Horsepower vs boat length

Is there a rule of thumb for how much horsepower you should have
compared to boat length?

IE. 16ft power boat, should have 30-100HP, etc..

HMMMMm. I don't think my boat would perform "average" if it weighed 8100
lbs. Hell, it probably wouldn't even plane. I'd reckon somewhere's about
12-14 lbs per HP.

--
Steve Barker

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 02:30:40 -0000, wrote:

Is there a rule of thumb for how much horsepower you should have
compared to boat length?

IE. 16ft power boat, should have 30-100HP, etc..

Total weight, boat+motor+people+fuel+gear is really a better measure.
Figure about 1 hp for every 30 to 40 lbs of total weight for average
performance.

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 23:37:46 GMT, Dan wrote:

Total weight, boat+motor+people+fuel+gear is really a better measure.
Figure about 1 hp for every 30 to 40 lbs of total weight for average
performance.

Where did you find that? 140HP for a 5000# loaded boat?

More like 170 hp if you use the lower end of the estimate.

There's no science in it at all, just a guesstimate based on my
personal experiences with a number of different boats. I'd be the
first to agree that it will not necessarily yield optimal performance
or engine life but will certainly get most boats up on plane and
moving half way decently. Don't under estimate the weight of people,
fuel and gear. It adds up very quickly, and brings required
horsepower along with it.

wrote in message
ps.com...
Is there a rule of thumb for how much horsepower you should have
compared to boat length?

IE. 16ft power boat, should have 30-100HP, etc..

Usually,

The hull manufacturer will rate the hull at a maximum HP.

I wouldn't back off of this too much when choosing an outboard.

Also,

It will depend on what you're using the boat for. If your planning on
pulling a skier, you'll obviously want more power than if you are just
tooling around.

db