posted to rec.boats.building

Default DIY books on boat repair

Does anyone know of any good how to books on boat repair?
Thanks

On Apr 16, 11:18 pm, kargo wrote:
Does anyone know of any good how to books on boat repair?
Thanks

You'll have to be more specific. Wood hull? fiberglass? Cursory
repairs or major structural?

On Apr 18, 12:31 pm, wrote:
On Apr 16, 11:18 pm, kargo wrote:

Does anyone know of any good how to books on boat repair?
Thanks

You'll have to be more specific. Wood hull? fiberglass? Cursory
repairs or major structural?

Aluminum hulls. I don't want to be able to build a boat (yet), but
would like to be able to restore my current boat and future
purchases. I need to understand the basics of boat structure so I
don't take something out that needs to be there (like the third bench
seat in a small aluminum boat, the type that uses those bench seats
for structural support). I need to understand the characteristics of
the aluminum alloys used in boats. Is it acceptable to use a brazing
rode and propane torch, or will this weaken the metal. Will the
aluminum boats warp, how well does reriveting fix things... etc. I
guess I'd have to say somewhere in the middle. Not building from
scratch but more than cursory maintenance.

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 December 19th 05 06:37 AM
Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 January 16th 04 10:19 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 December 15th 03 10:48 AM