posted to rec.boats.building
t t is offline

Default Weed Eater Conversion

I am trying to find a way to put a propeller on the end of my weed eater
for going up stream with my canoe. I just want to attach it to the side of
the canoe via some sort of c clamp sliding mechanism. Is there a kit out
there you can buy or a web page someone can point me to! Thanks

posted to rec.boats.building

Others have done it. Have you tried a web search? I saw pix and video
somewhere...

Otherwise, are you SURE you WANT to do this? If I recall, the guy that I
saw with a converted weedeater did it because it seemed neat ...cute little
motor and what not, but he got tired of the noise and gave it up. Someone
else mentioned that these short-stroke little weedeater motors run high
speed but don't have torque for running a boat around the water... just
enough to cut the weeds with a string. I dunno ...I haven't seen solid info
on the torque issue, but it makes sense. If you DO go this route however, I
wouldn't mind seeing some updates and links to video or pix when you get it
going.

As another idea, you might think about a small Minn Kota. I saw a guy at
the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Show a few years ago (Oregon) who converted one to
have the prop on the end of a shaft and had the motor hidden under a seat in
the boat. Some kind of lapstrake wherry if I recall. In any case, the
shaft was entirely hidden, as were his batteries (golf cart batteries?
motorcycle batteries? Dunno). His boat looks pristine and perfect 'for
rowing only', yet magically slid silently through the water. He said it was
fun to watch people on shore and in other boats wondering how he could
cruise along like that with no visible motor anywhere. His was a beautiful
boat too.

Thx,
Brian D

newsVhug.191135$Mn5.127430@pd7tw3no...

"Brian D" wrote in message

Others have done it. Have you tried a web search? I saw pix and video
somewhere...

Someone
else mentioned that these short-stroke little weedeater motors run high
speed but don't have torque for running a boat around the water... just
enough to cut the weeds with a string.

Very true. And what will you do for a 'thrust bearing'?

posted to rec.boats.building
t t is offline

They have all sorts of sizes of thrust washer bearings at my local farmer
parts stores, I dunno if I should go with a teflon thrust washer or metal
type roller bearing washer. I will continue my search, as I am sure there
must be some sort of kit, if not I will surely post what I did and used. I
know about the noise issue of course, this will be my last worry, as I just
want this motor to get me up a backwoods stream about 30 miles, if the drive
snaps or anything like that I don't mind as long as I most of the way up the
stream, coming back is the easy part where I will be using this!

"platapus03" wrote in message

"Brian D" wrote in message

Others have done it. Have you tried a web search? I saw pix and video
somewhere...

Someone
else mentioned that these short-stroke little weedeater motors run high
speed but don't have torque for running a boat around the water... just
enough to cut the weeds with a string.

Very true. And what will you do for a 'thrust bearing'?

posted to rec.boats.building

There was a commercial development along the lines you are suggesting
some years ago, the Elliot Power Paddle. I know nothing else about it
except there is a picture of it in Larry Brown's "Sailing on a
Micro-budget".

I have used a Minnkota Endura 30 on my 15 ft canoe to good effect. I can
cruise at about 4 mph for a couple of hours on a single deep cycle battery.

BS

t wrote:
I am trying to find a way to put a propeller on the end of my weed eater
for going up stream with my canoe. I just want to attach it to the side of
the canoe via some sort of c clamp sliding mechanism. Is there a kit out
there you can buy or a web page someone can point me to! Thanks

posted to rec.boats.building

My Weedeater brand weed eater snapped a cable once ...the replacement part
cost 80% as much as a new unit. To the trash can it went. Then I bought a
professional grade Echo brand weed eater, and the fuel line from the tank to
the motor rotted out and leaked air by the next spring ...don't ask me why.
It's been sitting in the corner of the garden shed ever since and I've been
unwilling to invest in any more weed eater type things. Are they all made
in China or what? Off my pedestal ...the mention of a snapped cable
reminded me of the quality issues that I had.

See Item #7249455111 at eBay ...plans for a dual-weed eater powered ice
sled. Maybe it has ideas on how to convert the weed eater to something that
drives a prop?

Brian