rhys

Default Boat Sank due to Syphoning Effect

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:28:14 +0100, BrianH wrote:

The major problem is from having the corresponding valves
open when leaving the boat for any length of time, unlike
all others, which can (should) be closed.
BrianH.

I went to the canvas-covered and land-locked boat yesterday, as I do
every week or so whether I have work to do or not. As the wind was 25
knots from the East and consequently quite bitter, I didn't want to
hang about, but then I noticed a half-meter icicle hanging from the
port cockpit drain. When "on the hard" I leave ALL seacocks open,
aside from the engine intake, which stays closed to keep the
antifreeze in. Basically, I do the opposite to what I do in the water.

And I'm glad I do. The wind had at some point loosened the light line
holding down the canvas, which had sagged and accumulated several
kilos of ice. This had thawed and frozen more than once, and had
seeped through into the cockpit, which now requires "defrosting".

If the cockpit drains had NOT been open, I would have likely had
columns of ice in there and a thick layer of ice in the cockpit and on
one locker lid. Instead, 90% of it drained out. The only damage done
is some small tears to the canvas, which I will repair as soon as we
get a day without wind or snow even slightly above the freezing point.

Just some "front-line" experience. Leave your seacocks OPEN in the
winter, because a boat in a cradle is just a glorified bucket.

R.

rhys

On 15 Dec 2005 18:14:02 -0600, Dave wrote:

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:05:11 -0500, rhys said:

When "on the hard" I leave ALL seacocks open,
aside from the engine intake, which stays closed to keep the
antifreeze in.

What is it you think will freeze if the engine intake is left open?

It's not what will freeze, it's what might expand and contract (the
antifreeze) and drip toxically on the ground. Bad form at the boat
club.

R.
Wayne.B

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:05:11 -0500, rhys wrote:

Just some "front-line" experience. Leave your seacocks OPEN in the
winter, because a boat in a cradle is just a glorified bucket.

===========================

Good advice but it doesn't go far enough. The cockpit drains can (and
will) become clogged with debris from time to time. From there to
flooding or ice damage is only a storm away, so it's important to
visit the boat and make sure the drains are actually clear.

Skip Gundlach

Default Vented loops and suction

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
om...
Skip Gundlach wrote:
Earlier (way earlier, maybe a year, in a thread about LectraSans) I
commented about the extraordinarily long runs in the aft head. The
removal of the LS makes the exhaust run only about 15 feet, total
(counting the 3' up and down it has to go to the vented loop top).

That's still too long...

In ordering the parts needed to repair the forward head, I see that there's
a straightline joker outflow. That will cut about 3' off the aft head run,
so I've ordered it...

As for the manual for your PH II, you can download and print one from
he http://www.raritaneng.com/tech_suppo...s_manuals.html

Well, having just returned from the boat, and, also, having gotten a copy of
the owner's manual for our heads, I see:

The owner's manual shows vented loops, but I'd missed them in my prior
perusal online of them, as it's so counter-intuitive given the short,
direct, installation of the line between the pump and the bowl.

However, the OM also shows the "TWK" which is for odor control and
lubrication, using "Raritan Concentrate #CON22". Your prior comments
indicated you thought odor control - through these presumed expensive
options, which our boat had - unnecessary - but this refers also to
lubrication. Given the challenge and cost of rebuilds, I'm wondering about
that part of it. In the past, your description(s) of how to
(preventatively) lube a head left me scratching mine (head) as ours didn't
seem to fit the description.

So, how does one (preventive maintenance) lube a PHII without disassembly?

Secondly, referring to another part of this thread, I see in our heads that
a proper shutoff is immediately adjacent to the intake to the pump body (see
my December gallery for illustration, as I redid the intake to that point).
If placarded for guests, and known for us, to have that shut when not in
operation, does that suffice and is it recommended procedure vs the
antisiphon loop?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip, in rehab, closer to climbing aboard

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Peggie Hall

Skip Gundlach wrote:
The owner's manual shows vented loops, but I'd missed them in my
prior perusal online of them, as it's so counter-intuitive given the
short, direct, installation of the line between the pump and the
bowl.

It's only counter-intuitive if you don't read the directions.

However, the OM also shows the "TWK" which is for odor control and
lubrication, using "Raritan Concentrate #CON22". Your prior comments
indicated you thought odor control - through these presumed
expensive options, which our boat had - unnecessary - but this refers
also to lubrication.

You don't need the TWK (toilet water kit)...It doesn't lubricate any
better than plain water does. Raritan Concentrate is a nasty chemical
(quaternary ammonium compound) left over from the days when all toilets
flushed directly overboard. Its only real purpose was to "sanitize" the
waste slightly to reduce odor as it went out. Raritan has strongly
considered discontinuing it, but still sell enough of it that they keep
talking themselves out of doing so.

So, how does one (preventive maintenance) lube a PHII without
disassembly?

One doesn't. But it's not THAT much of a PITA to lift the pump off
the base and shoot some teflon grease into it just once or twice a year.

Secondly, referring to another part of this thread, I see in our
heads that a proper shutoff...

I'm not sure what you mean by "proper shutoff"...seacock?

... is immediately adjacent to the intake to
the pump body (see my December gallery for illustration, as I redid
the intake to that point). If placarded for guests, and known for us,
to have that shut when not in operation, does that suffice and is it
recommended procedure vs the antisiphon loop?

No. Neither a seacock nor any other shutoff valve in a line is a
substitute for a vented loop...they serve two completely different
functions in addition to protecting people from themselves. All the good
intentions and placards in the world cannot guarantee that no one will
ever neglect to close a seacock or never leave the toilet in the "wet" mode.

--
Peggie
----------

Skip Gundlach

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
news
Skip Gundlach wrote:
The owner's manual shows vented loops, but I'd missed them in my
prior perusal online of them, as it's so counter-intuitive given the
short, direct, installation of the line between the pump and the
bowl.

It's only counter-intuitive if you don't read the directions.

Heh. Having found them installed already, I missed that part :{))

[...]

Yes - seacock.
http://justpickone.org/skip/gallery/...ber& start=65
has a couple of pictures of the forward head's unit; the aft head's is in
the base next to the pump, but identical, triangular-based, barbed-end unit.

... is immediately adjacent to the intake to
the pump body (see my December gallery for illustration, as I redid
the intake to that point). If placarded for guests, and known for us,
to have that shut when not in operation, does that suffice and is it
recommended procedure vs the antisiphon loop?

No. Neither a seacock nor any other shutoff valve in a line is a
substitute for a vented loop...they serve two completely different
functions in addition to protecting people from themselves. All the good
intentions and placards in the world cannot guarantee that no one will
ever neglect to close a seacock or never leave the toilet in the "wet"
mode.

Well, I agree about the "wet" bit - but, since our now-long-ago discussion
of dry pumping, that's going to be the requirement, regardless of above or
below the waterline, as I'd like nothing better than to have empty pipes
(other than the exhaust part below the waterline, of course).

Thanks for the input. Got any recommendations for teflon grease supply?

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

The Society for the Preservation of Tithesis commends your ebriated
and scrutible use of delible and defatigable, which are gainly, sipid
and couth. We are gruntled and consolate that you have the ertia and
eptitude to choose such putably pensible tithesis, which we parage.

Stamp out Sesquipedalianism

Peggie Hall

Skip Gundlach wrote:
Thanks for the input. Got any recommendations for teflon grease supply?

SuperLube is the best IMO...they make a whole range of greases, so you
only want the thick teflon grease in a tube, not the the spray or
liquid. It's also good for y-valves, diaphragm pumps and any other pump
that stays wet. A $3.95 tube of it should last you several years.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304
rhys

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 03:35:02 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

SuperLube is the best IMO...they make a whole range of greases, so you
only want the thick teflon grease in a tube, not the the spray or
liquid. It's also good for y-valves, diaphragm pumps and any other pump
that stays wet. A $3.95 tube of it should last you several years.

I use a tube of Quicksilver Teflon lubricant because it serves both
plumbing and engine purposes onboard and (so far) has lasted years at
around the same $5 price point. Last time I used it was to seat an
O-ring for a basket-style debris filter between the raw water pump and
the block on my Atomic 4. It's widely available.

R.

Peggie Hall

rhys wrote:
I use a tube of Quicksilver Teflon lubricant because it serves both
plumbing and engine purposes onboard and (so far) has lasted years at
around the same $5 price point. Last time I used it was to seat an
O-ring for a basket-style debris filter between the raw water pump and
the block on my Atomic 4. It's widely available.

Quicksilver is a petroleum based lubricant...not recommended for use in
toilets 'cuz petroleum degrades rubber. You really should look for a
synthetic based teflon grease--which SuperLube is--next time you have to
buy a tube of it. If you can't find it anywhere else, try swimming pool
supply stores...it's the recommended lubricant for pool pumps, filters
etc too.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304
Skip Gundlach

Default Head maintenance (was) Vented loops and suction

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
. com...

Quicksilver is a petroleum based lubricant...not recommended for use in
toilets 'cuz petroleum degrades rubber. You really should look for a
synthetic based teflon grease--which SuperLube is--next time you have to
buy a tube of it. If you can't find it anywhere else, try swimming pool
supply stores...it's the recommended lubricant for pool pumps, filters etc
too.

This discussion reminded me that in another mailing list I'm on, the topic
of keeping the pipes clean came up. I gave them your vinegar prescription,
but a couple of posters have advocated Muriatic acid, sometimes with a
dollop of veggie oil for the lube.

My thought was that was pretty harsh stuff, but, certainly, it ought to do a
number on calcium. What are your thoughts on the subject (Muriatic, i.e.,
vs vinegar as effective/more effective/harmful to components)?

Thanks. And thanks for the lube pointer...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

So where is...................... *JimH* General 186 November 28th 05 03:29 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 November 18th 05 06:36 AM
Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 02:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM