Default Some Good Boat Maintenance Videos

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:55:42 -0400, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:39:41 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:27:35 -0400, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 06:39:51 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

Say, that's quite a series. My rickety old 27' cavalier was wood and though well maintained after a while the plywood hull started to delaminates and I couldn't keep up with it. It finally went the way if Gillian's island. But in the time I had the boat. Oh man what a blast!

It would be fun to be the guy's 'apprentice' for a month, or however long it takes, build a boat
with him, and then cart the boat home. Wonder how much he'd charge for such an experience. He put a
hell of an effort into making those videos, let alone the work he did on the boat.

===

I get the feeling that Lou would work on boats just for the fun of it,
even if no one was paying him. The videography is being underwritten
by Jamestown Distributors as a way to showcase their products and I'd
imagine that he is under contract with them.

Oh well, just a thought.

===

There are places where you can build a boat under expert supervision
and instruction. One that I have visited several times is called the
Wooden Boat School in Brooklin, Maine.

http://www.thewoodenboatschool.com/

There are probably others but I've spent quite a lot of time in Maine
over the years relatively close to their location. It's a great place
to visit in the summer even if you're not enrolled in the school. I
kind of recall seeing some campers parked there which would be an
interesting possibility for you.

A place closer to you that might offer an opportunity is the
Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St Michaels, Maryland. You'd have
to check with them. Another possibility is Mystic Seaport Museum in
Mystic, Connecticut.

wrote:

[...]

I think it would be fun, but I don't need another boat!

On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 13:54:39 UTC-3, Bill wrote:
Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 06:39:51 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

Say, that's quite a series. My rickety old 27' cavalier was wood and
though well maintained after a while the plywood hull started to
delaminates and I couldn't keep up with it. It finally went the way if
Gillian's island. But in the time I had the boat. Oh man what a blast!

It would be fun to be the guy's 'apprentice' for a month, or however long
it takes, build a boat
with him, and then cart the boat home. Wonder how much he'd charge for
such an experience. He put a
hell of an effort into making those videos, let alone the work he did on the boat.

At the Maritime Museum in San Francisco, they have building wooden boat
classes. You get to build one for yourself.

Used to do the same at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax.
Small sail & rowing boats and then kayaks.
Lady two doors up joined a class to build a wooden kayak and is still going on excursions all over the province with friends she made there...and she's in her early '70s.
https://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca/
Tim Tim is offline

12:01
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 09:58:25 -0700 (PDT), Tim

I almost bought a wood boat but I sobered up ;-)
I bought a wood boat and didn't sober up. I was in my 20s 😜😑

wrote:

[...]

You could probably sell it if it was well built, or give it to the
kids or grand kids. One of our friends went to a boat building school
with his grandson last year and they had a lot of fun.

Some good videos from the world of hi tech sail boat racing Wayne.B General 0 September 12th 15 12:53 AM
Jet boat racing videos. [email protected] General 18 February 26th 07 04:18 AM
Boat building videos Jim Boat Building 0 July 23rd 06 07:12 PM
Boat Maintenance Dr. Dr. John Smith General 4 March 21st 05 09:20 PM