Default Hurricane Matthew

Before I continue, I note the Neal posted almost exactly a year ago,
expecting us to get slammed. that didn't happen, then...

Just a very quick note to say:

Matthew came through Beaufort SC at 105MPH.

We prepped Flying Pig after going onto a mooring (we'd been anchored across
the river) at the Beaufort City Marina and put on 4 extra-strength lines,
well chafe-protected). Once secured, we dinghied over to Lady's Island
Marina, where we stowed (via filling with water) our dinghy and outboard and
gas can.

We got a relay ride to a Red Cross evacuation shelter in Ridgeland SC where
we were safe, relatively dry (the roof in the school leaked in multiple
places), fed and watered. I volunteered for keeping the men's room supplied
with paper, and to empty and re-line all the trash containers. Many new
friends were made, some of whom gave us a ride back to our dinghy.

We are now back aboard. All is VERY well aboard Flying Pig; we're
reassembling the topsides while we recharge the batteries. Pix and story
maybe in a separate post...

L8R

Skip (and Lydia), blessed.

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

"Paul Cassel" wrote in message ...

Good you made it through OK. What was the windspeed where you were moored?

-paul

The marina reported 105-115 MPH...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:51:09 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Before I continue, I note the Neal posted almost exactly a year ago,
expecting us to get slammed. that didn't happen, then...

Just a very quick note to say:

Matthew came through Beaufort SC at 105MPH.

We prepped Flying Pig after going onto a mooring (we'd been anchored across
the river) at the Beaufort City Marina and put on 4 extra-strength lines,
well chafe-protected). Once secured, we dinghied over to Lady's Island
Marina, where we stowed (via filling with water) our dinghy and outboard and
gas can.

===

Glad to hear that you came through it OK. We just came down the
Florida ICW over the last few days after hiding out in a creek off the
St John's River, just north of Green Cove Springs. The east coast of
FL is littered with well over 100 boats that broke loose during the
storm.

How did you attach all of those extra lines to the mooring?

Greetings!

WayneB wrote:

Glad to hear that you came through it OK. We just came down the
Florida ICW over the last few days after hiding out in a creek off the
St John's River, just north of Green Cove Springs. The east coast of
FL is littered with well over 100 boats that broke loose during the
storm.

How did you attach all of those extra lines to the mooring?

My link in the log shows many beached boats right in a small creek, let
alone up and down the east coast, and a power boat sank at the Downtown
Marina dock.

My mooring was the two Megabraids looped through and led up.
That's all the line that would fit through like that (double lines due to
mooring eye). One of the second ones on each side (the 3-strand, a dock
line) was passed over one of them, and the bitter end led up through the
splice point, leading to a pull on both of the legs of the eye. The regatta
braid, as a single line, I could get inside the eye; that one I did a
bowline before running the line up to the chock.

Both of those on each side were firehose chafe protected. Several of the
boats in the field used a short length of chain as their
belt-and-suspenders. Pix of my chafe resistance also in my picture link...

We've just now finished putting it all back together, the bimini and
enclosure having waited until we got a calm day to install some tell tails
on the main, made possible by not having the bimini in the way of easy reach
to attach/sticky.

Where are you these days?

L8R

Skip and Lydia

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any
kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now.
Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

- Etienne Griellet

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 14:00:06 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

We've just now finished putting it all back together, the bimini and
enclosure having waited until we got a calm day to install some tell tails
on the main, made possible by not having the bimini in the way of easy reach
to attach/sticky.

Where are you these days?

===

We arrived back home in SWFL last Saturday after 5 months of cruising
Canada and New England. Our trip south on the Florida AICW after
Matthew was uneventful except for all of the damage that we passed.
There are large numbers of damaged boats, homes and docks,
particularly in the area between St Augustine and Daytona Beach. There
was one stretch of about 20 miles where it appeared that every single
dock had been broken up to one degree or another. South of Melbourne
was relatively unscathed compared to farther north.

We bailed out for 2 days to the west coast after getting the last
rental car available, not knowing what we'd find when we came back.
Fortunately all was well. Wind speeds in our absence are unknown but
there were considerable numbers of downed trees on each side of our
creek. I'd guess that would indicate peak speeds in the 70 knot
range, maybe more. We left the boat on two anchors spread about 60
degrees to the north. Our primary is a 90# Rocna with 150 ft of
3/8ths HT chain coupled with about 20 ft of 1 inch, 8-plait braided
snubber. The secondary was a 65# Bruce with 25 ft of 3/8ths HT
combined with 150 ft of 7/8ths 3-strand nylon - fire hose anti-chafing
on both. No issues with any of that, with no sign of dragging on
either anchor. Scope was about 10:1 on both anchors and we set them
very hard with our big diesels.

Oct 19Flying Pig
Greetings!

WayneB wrote:

[...]

Thanks Skip. I rarely post here but I wanted to say I always apreciate reading of your adventures over the years..,