Default Live a board boat

I just thought that if there is anyone left alive in this group that some might like to know:

John Strydom lifted this whole, added a couple of words, and copyrighted it as his own in Sailing Now.

Not so much as a credit to Larry, let alone a "used by permission" - which I'm sure Larry would have granted.

His stripes never change, do they?

L8R

Skip

From an earlier post on the subject...

I don't think public domain allows copyrighting by somebody else, does it?

L8R

Skip

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 7:32:48 AM UTC-4, Flying Pig wrote:
I just thought that if there is anyone left alive in this group that some might like to know:

John Strydom lifted this whole, added a couple of words, and copyrighted it as his own in Sailing Now.

Not so much as a credit to Larry, let alone a "used by permission" - which I'm sure Larry would have granted.

His stripes never change, do they?

L8R

Skip

On Wednesday, July 24, 2002 at 11:46:45 AM UTC-4, Larry wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 03:13:39 GMT, "foobar" wrote:

ROFLMAO!!!!

Seriously, Larry, you should Copyright that material (if you haven't
already). It's hysterical!

I've released it to the public domain. Print it out and hang it up on
the bulletin board at the yacht club.....

Thanks for your comment....(c;
Larry

PS - Have the neighbors said anything about why you're driving the
dock cart down to the 7-11 every day, yet? They will....(c;

I think once something is in the public domain, it remains there and
cannot be copyrighted. I'm not clear on what this thread is about. It's
like it started in the middle.

-paul

On 7/27/2016 6:04 AM, Flying Pig wrote:
From an earlier post on the subject...

I don't think public domain allows copyrighting by somebody else, does it?

L8R

Skip

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 07:58:30 -0500, Rick Morel
wrote:

That's correct. Once in public domain it cannot be copyrighted.
That's why Project Gutenberg for free ebooks out of copyright was
started.

I'm not clear on what this is about either. Skip, can you elaborate?

Rick

If I am not mistaken a "copyright" is a protection for the writer that
his work is sole his property for specific number of years thus in a
sense public domain doesn't enter into it. The copyright simply
expires so the work is no longer solely the property of the writer.

On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 06:12:54 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

I think once something is in the public domain, it remains there and
cannot be copyrighted. I'm not clear on what this thread is about. It's
like it started in the middle.

-paul

From an earlier post on the subject...

--
Cheers,

Bruce

My everlasting embarrassment...

This started with a search for my buddy Larry Butler's hilarious Liveaboard
Simulator.

At the same time, there was a thread I'd responded to in a FaceBook group
about the same issues from a newly-moved-aboard member.

My Googling initially uncovered Jonathan GANZ (NOT!!! John Strydom, he's
very definitely a good guy) having wholly appropriated Larry's work and, at
the bottom, copyrighting it in his own name. But I hadn't noticed that
until I'd given the link.

Right after that, the member in question noted that they'd had that
experience with John Strydom. So, when I went looking for, and found. the
original, here, at my advanced age, the johns were switched in my mind.
Thus, I castigated the wrong person.

The original, appearing in RBC in 2002, was open-domained by Larry at the
time.

I've already apologized to John Strydom. Ganz doesn't surprise me a bit.
Please insert Jonathan Ganz below!

My apologies for the confusion; if my original didn't have the text of the
original 2002 post, search for Larry Butler or w4csc and "the Liveaboard
Simulator" - it's still a classic!

L8R

Skip

"Flying Pig" wrote in message

Ping Larry Butler...

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 7:32:48 AM UTC-4, Flying Pig wrote:
I just thought that if there is anyone left alive in this group that some
might like to know:

John Strydom lifted this whole, added a couple of words, and copyrighted
it as his own in Sailing Now.

Not so much as a credit to Larry, let alone a "used by permission" - which
I'm sure Larry would have granted.

His stripes never change, do they?

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

On 7/29/2016 9:12 AM, Flying Pig wrote:
Larry Butler's hilarious Liveaboard Simulator

http://www.sailnow.com/sail/simulator.html

That's the one. After Larry wrote to him, he added the line under the
copyright.

For the record, he also asked for and was granted the right to copy it.

Not copyright it...

L8R

Skip

"Paul Cassel" wrote in message ...

On 7/29/2016 9:12 AM, Flying Pig wrote:
Larry Butler's hilarious Liveaboard Simulator

http://www.sailnow.com/sail/simulator.html

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 11:12:36 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

This started with a search for my buddy Larry Butler's hilarious Liveaboard
Simulator.

===

I believe that what you are searching for is he

http://svletitgo.com/2010/07/the-liveaboard-simulator/

wrote:

This started with a search for my buddy Larry Butler's hilarious Liveaboard
Simulator.

===

I believe that what you are searching for is he

http://svletitgo.com/2010/07/the-liveaboard-simulator/

It starts, then directs you to Roger Long's defunct website address,
inviting you to buy it.

However, this thread started in July of 2002 when Larry posted it here...

Right now I can't put my hands on it again, but it came up again in RBC,
he
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...rPbY%5B1-25%5D

It's been shared around, including Jonathan Ganz' Sailnow website.

He's since taken it off, over a dispute I probably started; he'd had
permission from Larry to republish it, but copyrighted it (the web page,
ostensibly, but it was shown directly under the story, and under the
copyright, a mention of L Butler).

He copyrights his web pages; that wasn't clear. In any event, the original
is back in the mists of this thread. If you can find the label in
googlegroups, you can see the original...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

Small nautical craft that you can bring on board your boat - ships inbottles Gabrielle Cruising 0 March 25th 10 02:53 PM
Can a PC live on the boat with me? pete Cruising 12 October 4th 07 03:49 PM
Fishing and boat board dete49 General 3 January 17th 07 06:09 AM
What's a good sail boat to buy to live on? Wilfred Johnson Cruising 8 July 7th 04 01:57 AM
When would you board someone else's boat?? Gary Warner General 661 May 10th 04 12:08 PM