Default The Suzuki DF2.5 HP

On May 28, 5:13*pm, wrote:

On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:05:29 -0700 (PDT), Jay wrote:
Okay, in an automobile, what device performs the do or die piece of

information to indicate that the car's water pump is working or not?

An automobile does not have the same needs as an outboard. For openers, the
outboard is raw water cooled and the auto is a closed system. Major differences. The pumps are entirekly different too. The outboard needs a very different type of water pump. Comparing the cars water pump and cooling system to your outboard is as reasobale as comparing it to the space shuttle.

Interesting that none of your response addressed the specific
question I asked in the paragraph before. None of your response post
answered the question posed: "in an automobile, what device performs
the do or die piece of
information to indicate that the car's water pump is working or not?"

A temp gauge or red light? *IOW, to say that the water pump is running
dry is also to say the motor is overheating, isn't it? *

Two different things in an outboard. running dry is instant death to the water

pump. A car doesn't have to suck up water from an outside sorce to
lubricate the water pump. It can be run dry a lot longer than the one
in your outboard. That's
why a tell tale is MANDATORY.

Actually another non-specific response to a specific question.
Basically, I asked, true or false, if the water pump runs dry, does
the motor overheat, And, of course, the only possible obvious answer
is TRUE. Also, you stated "in an outboard, running dry is instant
death to the water pump." And you know with absolute certainty that
there are no outboard brands manufactured anywhere on the planet that
can be run without immersing them in water (IOW, run dry with no
damage whatsoever to the water pump). If there was an outboard motor
made where water immersion was not necessary to run it and no damage
would be done to the water pump doing so, then saying a tell-tale is
MANDATORY would then be a false statement, wouldn't it?

Doesn't one immediately lead to the other? *Therefore, it would seem like all the processes are really interconnected.

Only if you don't understand the basic differences betyween the two dissimilar
systems you are trying to compare.

So you are basically saying a failed water pump would not cause
engine overheating??? If a failed water pump DID CAUSE said
overheating and resultant engine failure, then wouldn't my statement
"Doesn't one immediately lead to the other?" be TRUE?

So you're saying the water coming out of the pee holes is not water
being released by the thermostat in the Suzuki DF2.5? *Yes or no?

I have no idea where you are headed with this question.

Not heading anywhere, just looking for a simple yes or no answer.

The water coming out of the pee-hole is forced out by pressure from
the water pump regardless if the thermostat is open or closed.

So you are saying that there is no outboard manufactured on the
face of the Earth wherein the discharge from the "pee hole" is
governed by the thermostat?

Finally, if
this Suzuki outboard of mine runs for several years with water only
INTERMITTENTLY coming out of the "pee" holes and it never overheats,
will you still cling to the notion that it's a defective piece of
equipment? *IOW, will you argue and continue to denigrate
a successful and non-defective outboard motor design?

Yes. If I can't always be sure with a quick glance that the water pump is
working, I would not keep that motor. I would return it immediately even if I
took a loss to do so. If that is the way it is suposed to be, then I would judge
it to be a piece of poorly and improperly designed crap that can not be depended
upon. I wouldn't use it, or own it, and If I sold it, I would have to disclose
that problem with it. *

So you would ignore the fact that the motor ran for years without
constant discharge from the pee-holes and never overheated and/or
seized-up. You would still call it a piece of crap. Why, because its
longevity would prove you wrong and not being right is a mortal sin
too great for you to absorb? Reminds me of the old adage, if it's not
broke, don't fix it. IF that motor is designed to operate like it
does WITHOUT constantly "peeing" and it continues to operate that way
without overheating, damage to the water pump an/or seizure of the
motor, then guess what? Your know-it-all statements are DEAD-ON W-R-O-
N-G! A tough pill to swallow for egomaniacs but easier with a couple
of bottles of Corona. And calling me a dimwit and saying Casady's
calculations are "baloney" might imply you check night school for a
refresher course in human relations/communication.

Finally, is the goat that is sacrificed at the altar of the pee
hole required to be a virgin nanny? *lol

On further reflection, I bet you DO require a virgin goat for the
sacrifice.

-Jay

(STILL sorting it all out and waiting for the final word from Wilbur
Hubbard on the matter).

On May 29, 3:07*am, wrote:

Okay. You are a troll. I'm not going to waste any more effort on your mindless

nonsense.

Ooooh, classic response. Someone actually challenges you to back
up your varied and wild pontifications and answer logical questions
and when those questions begin to befuddle you and your stationary
brain, replete with your preset notions about everything, you
immediately start to call people names like dimwit, call what they ask
"mindless nonsense" and tell others what they do are "baloney" and
finally, when all else fails, you utilize the most infantile
accusation of all --- "you're a troll." lol

At least you made a wise choice in your last statement, mainly because
nobody wants to hear your pompous, egomaniacal spewings anymore and
you not participating in this thread again is the best contribution
you could ever make to the thread.

And, btw, when my little Suzuki is still putting along two years from
now with water only being ejected INTERMITTENTLY through the urination
hole, YOU'LL STILL BE WRONG!!!!!

-Jay
(appreciative of much of the fine advice he's received from the truly
knowledgable gentlemen in this group and not going to miss the
egomaniac one tiny bit)

wrote:
Okay. You are a troll. I'm not going to waste any more effort on your mindless
nonsense.

Now that's funny.

Interesting to read about your experience with a trolling motor &
Seaward Fox but still the irony of *you* calling somebody else a
"mindless troll" is a riot.

DSK

On Thu, 29 May 2008 04:13:23 -0700 (PDT), Jay
wrote:

And, btw, when my little Suzuki is still putting along two years from
now with water only being ejected INTERMITTENTLY through the urination
hole, YOU'LL STILL BE WRONG!!!!!

I feel about the same way about an intermittant pilot hole as I do
about a water temperature gauge that only works part of the time. BTW,
it isn't practical to watch the pilot hole, especially when it is on
the back of the motor, and you are driving from the front of the boat.

It doesn't matter, I suppose, what the pilot hole does when you
can't watch it anyway.

Casady

On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:11:11 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 29 May 2008 15:46:57 GMT,
(Richard

wrote:

And, btw, when my little Suzuki is still putting along two years from
now with water only being ejected INTERMITTENTLY through the urination
hole, YOU'LL STILL BE WRONG!!!!!

I feel about the same way about an intermittant pilot hole as I do
about a water temperature gauge that only works part of the time. BTW,
it isn't practical to watch the pilot hole, especially when it is on
the back of the motor, and you are driving from the front of the boat.

It doesn't matter, I suppose, what the pilot hole does when you
can't watch it anyway.

Casady

Steering from the front of the boat? It's a 2.5 hp outboard with a
tiller, Casady.

Happen to possess a boat with a steering wheel and a 3 HP motor.
certain that the water pump is
working at startup, and being able to glance back occasionally and
confirm you haven't clogged with sand, seaweed or a plastic baggie is
pretty important. The pilot hole on all small outboards I've seen
shoots out to the side so you can see it easily from your seat, by
simply turning your head and looking towards the motor.

As for the pilot hole, it is on the back of the 1/2,the 1 the 3 and
the 5 my family has owned. Motors dating from the twenties to the
fifties. I hear some would rebuild the water pump every couple of
years. One next door neighbor has a fifty year old motor, the other
next door forty. Never replaced anything on either of them.
When did Evenrude quit making the half horse motor? Nobody I know paid
any attention to the pilot hole.

Casady

On Thu, 29 May 2008 13:40:20 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 29 May 2008 17:20:13 GMT,
(Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:11:11 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 29 May 2008 15:46:57 GMT,
(Richard

wrote:

[...]

Those motors probably pre-date flexible pump impellers, and may not
have even had (or really needed) a pilot hole at all. The British
Seagull has a metal impeller, too. Some of the small motors you
mention are probably air cooled, anyway. :')

On neightbor has a fifties 35 Johnson, the other a 90 Mercury, The 35
is on a home made plywood boat that has been glassed. The ninty is on
a larger aluminum boat. Skiing, fishing and just riding around are
what we do. The only cruising is one hour or so cocktail cruises.
Rubbernecking at slow speed. I don't remember pilot holes on the half
or the one, but the five it was on the back, and the boat had a
forward wheel. Pilot holes were like Canada, everyone knows it exists,
but nobody gives it much thought.

Casady
Bob Bob is offline

Default The Suzuki 2.5 hp makes the final cut...but what about TWO ofthem, in tandem?

On Apr 26, 5:46*am, "Roger Long" wrote:
"cavelamb himself" wrote

You might "Ping" Roger
as to why doubling the Horse Power doesn't necessarily mean double the
speed.

As has been pointed out here, I have no *formal* training in naval
architecture and am therefore unqualified to comment.
Roger Long

Ive met several “…I aint had no college cause I learned everything
from experience…” professionals over the years. However there is a
significant difference between OJT and a formal post secondary
program. Heck, even the USCG REC/OCMI recognizes the benefits of an
organized program of study. In fact the USCG gives Sea Service credit
for attending a 4 year maritime academy or completing select AB to
Mate, Mate to Master programs and union training. Why?

Because an organized program is superior to a half assed pieced
together string of jobs hoping the worker will learn something along
the way. In the learn-along-the-way approach there is absolutely NO
set of standards or competencies to judge your ability compared to
industry standards. The only way to know if a learn-as-you-go person
knows xyz is if they attempt xyz and fail. Then with egg on their face
they call it experience and move on adding that FAILURE to their list
of learning credentials. Personally I don’t want my project to be some
drop-out GED bozo’s “real world training” learning experience.

Would you really want a surgeon who never went to an accredited USA
medical school fix your heart?

Another example are the “dynamic” management seminar leaders. They
stand for 6 hours and say all sorts of interesting things and wow the
crowd. But on closer conversation they are simply a one trick pony who
knows a very narrow segment of the over all body of management
literature/research. In other words they really don’t know **** but
they sure talk smack. They lack both BREADTH and DEPTH of the subject
but can fake it pretty good in a single limited topic.

The real problem surfaces when a one trick pony is faced with a task
outside their limited experience (some people might call it a comfort
zone). Their failure rate soars because they lack a broad foundation
of understanding to use as a guide.

The learn as you go was the archaic boat building approach. As a
result designers of old were EXTREMELY reluctant to do anything
different or even modify a current design. So you had a design that
worked and everybody used it. Of course, innovation was considered
heresy; a departure from tradition. Innovation is a very scary thing
to the ignorant cause they don’t understand it. Ignorance creates
tradition AND fear.

So you find some who are continually self promoting. Its an effort to
compensate. Sorta like the little guys in the really B I G trucks.

My advice is go back to school and get a degree. Im sure you would be
amazed at how valuable all that experience you have becomes when
combined with an organized program of study.

Well I can hear a chicken clucking. Must mean fresh eggs. I think Ill
scramble a few and head over to the lagoon for a day in the water.
Life is good at N19-43
Blue Water Bob

On Thu, 29 May 2008 11:52:44 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

So you find some who are continually self promoting. Its an effort to
compensate. Sorta like the little guys in the really B I G trucks.

Few long haul truckers pick the size of their truck. Mostly, they are
as big as the law allows. Maximum payload for the labor costs.
Best use of the fuel. This is mostly not true in town, although
gasoline delivery and garbage trucks come in large sizes. A glance at
the lunch counter at an Interstate truck stop will reveal that drivers
come in all the usual sizes. The biggest common compensation truck
would be the one ton pickup with the dual rear tires. There are many
who drive a pickup because cars have turned into tiny ****boxes, not
as a penis substitute. Corvettes on the other hand... The price of gas
will cause a reverse trend. We have a 14 mpg street tank SUV and we
just bought a 28 mpg ****box. Used, 10k miles, seven grand.

Casady

Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6 Jay[_3_] General 4 May 8th 08 05:58 PM
Suzuki 2hp Tell Tale Johnny General 5 October 24th 06 02:12 AM
200 hp Suzuki Mike Loran General 0 April 27th 04 04:47 AM
150 HP Suzuki Steven General 0 April 14th 04 09:26 PM
FS: Suzuki 15 HP 4-stroke in NC Ken Coit Marketplace 0 August 2nd 03 03:18 PM