Bob Whitaker

Default Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

Matt/Meribeth Pedersen wrote:

Most of these can be had for decent prices (sub $30k)
and are a little more conservative in design, a lot of
them have centerboards.

Hello Matt/Meribeth,

Wow, impressive list of boats! Thanks for the post! I'd be interested
in knowing which of these you liked best and which you've had the
opportunity to sail under reduced sail and how they handled. I'm very
interested in your comments, specially about pros and cons of
centerboards. I just thought it might be yet another thing that could
break down so I wasn't considering centerboard boats for my dream trip
(even if it meant missing out on shallow anchorages). I may start a
new thread on this topic one of these days, seeing as the original
post turned into mud-slinging central.

Thanks,

Bob Whitaker
"Free Spirit"
JAXAshby

I have told about
enough of mine ...

.... 275 miles down Interstate 95 is a "sailing experience"?

well, for Nimrof 19 owners, maybe

... that the real sailors in the crowd can make up their own
minds.

DSK

JAXAshby

Default Best 34 foot blue water cruiser... Jax warning

yes, dougies said that.

such as "cruising" a sailboat down Interstate 95 and claiming it to be a

more
accomplished sailing experience compared to those who sail a few dozen miles
every weekend?

Is that true! LOL

Capt. Bill

Bob Whitaker

A fellow "Texan" wrote:

Considering that the poster said he was out of Corpus Christi and
most of the bays and anything out of the channel in that area is
ultra shallow, having a centerboard boat is an excellent idea.

Hello fellow "Texan",

Thanks for your input! Even though I have sailed in Corpus Christi
it's unfortunately not my home turf (but my dream adventure would
probably start out of Corpus or Houston). I read an explanation about
why Corpus bay is so shallow. As a fellow Texan you probably already
know this, but it turns out that at the end of the last ice age what
is now the bay was just the flood plain for the Nueces River. As the
Ice Age ended the ocean level rose, filling the plain and creating the
bay. Pretty neat I thought when I read that! I currently have a boat
with a 4 foot draft that allows me to get by, specially on my home
turf. I would be interested in your views on centerboards. As you
mentioned, these are definitely a must on Corpus... but how about for
extended passages? They are great if you want to anchor in the
shallows, but I'd hate to have one more thing that could possibly
break? One of these days I may start a new thread to see if we have
better luck seeing as the original post has unfortunately turned into
a mud-slinging debacle.

Bob Whitaker
"Free Spirit"

Bob Whitaker

Default Offensive Post (was: Best 34 foot blue water cruiser)

Brian Whatcott wrote:

I find the tone of the following post, offensive.
Why is it always the pseudonymous posters who want
to let rip in this way?

Hello Brian,

Most newsgroups have many long standing feuds, and
"rec.boats.cruising" appears to be no exception. Such a shame.
Consider, if you will, my innocent sounding post of a few days ago. I
was really looking forward to a good exchange of pros-and-cons of
different sailboats. I can't sail them all, but I was really looking
forward to sharing knowledge with other sailors. I wanted to know what
different people liked about different boats. But out of more than 30
posts, only 3 posts so far were on-topic (thanks to Frank, Matt, and a
fellow "Texan"). The rest of the bandwidth has been consumed by
long-standing rivals trying to outdo one another. It makes it really
difficult to wade through the noise. Such a shame... Such a waste of
human knowledge... One of these days I may start a new thread to see
if we have better luck.

Thanks,

Bob Whitaker
"Free Spirit"
Bob Whitaker

Doug "Fresh Toilet" King wrote:

Well, Bob, I wasn't really trying to be snotty.
Sorry if I made you cry.

OK Doug, I'll take your word for it. I accept your apology. Also,
thanks for your genuine concern for my emotional well-being. But let
me allay your fears by confiding in you that I am actually quite
amused by your posts. Defeating you at your own game provides for
great sport even if it's not very challenging.

Just go right on believing that Cals are magnificently
constructed boats, and that anybody saying otherwise
is just being snotty.

Sorry Doug but you are once again mistaken. I already explained this
to you in great detail in my previous post, but let me explain it
again, and this time I'll try to use small words. Since you are
obviously confused, let me point out again that the snotty part of
water" by saying that it made me sound like "Tidy Bowl" man. You have
already acknowledged above that you were not trying to be snotty, and
I'll take your word for it. If you were not _trying_ to be snotty,
then perhaps being snotty comes naturally to you without even trying?
Can you please elucidate? (Oh... sorry... I promised to use small
words... that means "clarify"). If you were not being snotty, then the
only other possible explanation is that you were being genuine when
you confused the term "blue water" with toilet disinfectants. As
stated previously, perhaps your life experiences have made you
predisposed to making this embarrassing association? If you were truly
not being snotty, then far be it from me to poke fun of you for making
this genuine mistake.

Pardon me for treading on your illusions.

Sigh! ... Wrong, _AGAIN_ Doug. You are not treading on my illusions.
You are actually reinforcing the impression I already had from your
rotten apple spoiling the whole barrel. And that's a shame because it
seems like you have many things of value to say. It seems that (if you
wanted) you could be a contributor whose opinion people respected and
someone whose posts are always read eagerly by other members. It's a
shame you choose not to be.

It seems like you have long-standing feuds with many group members,
and that's OK... By all means you should stand your ground and fight
"the-good-fight". But don't burn your bridges, Doug. My advice is that
you turn the "snot-meter" _WAY_ down when replying to other members
with whom you are still in good standing, or when replying to unknown
entities.

Fresh Toilets- Bob Whitaker

P.S. I already extended you an olive branch last time. Even though I
was disappointed you didn't take it, I will do so again by offering
once more to change the topic. All you have to say is: "--Touche!" and
bow gracefully and I'll consider it water under the bridge... In that
spirit, have you had a chance to sail on a Cape Dory? What did you
like and what didn't you like about the boat? Someone in my club has
one but I haven't had a chance to sail on it yet.

DSK wrote in message . ..
Bob Whitaker wrote:
Now, Doug, wouldn't it have been a lot nicer if you had just answered
the original question politely rather than trying to be snotty with
your post?

Well, Bob, I wasn't really trying to be snotty. Sorry if I made you cry.

Just go right on believing that Cals are magnificently constructed
boats, and that anybody saying otherwise is just being snotty. Pardon me
for treading on your illusions.

Bye

Doug King

DSK

JAXAshby wrote:
yes, dougies said that.

It's as true as the rest of Jax's posts.... ie only a fantasy...

Ask Jax about the scary rocks around Cape Hattaras, or submarines
attacking Seattle.

DSK

DSK

bb wrote:
I thought you were discussing Chuck's boat. What kind of boat does
Doug have that you find so offensive?

Same as Chuck's.

Of course, BittyBill has never seen it in real life. This makes him an
expert... as much as all the rest of his non-real-life crapola.

BTW here are some pictures

http://community.webshots.com/album/63279185YQtgSA

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Water systems on my boat - need suggestions, please. Adam Boat Building 10 May 10th 04 03:53 PM
Harry's lobster boat? Gould 0738 General 3 December 23rd 03 07:24 AM
Where to find ramp stories? designo General 15 December 9th 03 09:57 PM
Fresh Water Tank Lou Cragin Cruising 6 December 8th 03 09:23 AM
Hot Water Dispenser Conor Crowley Cruising 11 October 28th 03 08:42 PM