posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default Here you go... wing keels

http://www.vacantisw.com/foildesign.htm

actual intelligent discussion of keel design, the various
factors influencing how keels work, and a very clear
explanation of the Reynolds number.

I suggest that certain people read it very very studiously
to find the answer as to whether wing keels lift the boat.
Yes or no?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

DSK wrote:
http://www.vacantisw.com/foildesign.htm

actual intelligent discussion of keel design, the various
factors influencing how keels work, and a very clear
explanation of the Reynolds number.

I suggest that certain people read it very very studiously
to find the answer as to whether wing keels lift the boat.
Yes or no?

DSK

Someone think at 8 kt a lead wing is going to provide lift?
Would both side of the wing provide equal lift on a heel?
Wouldent that cause the boat to heel more?

I know nothing about winged keels. I just thought it was a better way
to put weight down low and keeping a shallow draft. Sorta like thoses
boats that have two keels.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Doug,

Your article by Vacanti talks volumes of LIFT. You should be able to
answer your own question. Does all the LIFT describe in the article
LIFT the boat? Of course not. Does it help increase Speed? Maybe. Maybe
Not.

Doug, I've spent a life time in the Oil refinery measuring liquid flows.
Orifice Plates designed using Reynold numbers
You and Vacanti have not made mention of the large "Gray Area" of the
Reynolds #
between laminar flow and turbulent flow. It is right in this area that
our keels live.
You also ignored the "Newtonian" factor and just talked Reynolds and
Bernoulli. Let us not forget that each created lifting force has a equal
and opposite force. It is important to identify these forces.

A wind tunnel isn't necessary for the speeds we are dealing with. A
level of water, in the bath tub and shaker of talcum powder on the
surface of the water will show these actions and how they are shedded.

A "Wing Keel" works but in needs motion to make it work. Motion thru the
water. In a "Drifter" a straight fin will outperform it but as motion
increase it will increase its effect and yes it will be more effective.

I think I've said enough for an Old Beached Sailor. I'll back out of
this discussion

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Thom Stewart wrote:

Doug,

Your article by Vacanti talks volumes of LIFT. You should be able to
answer your own question. Does all the LIFT describe in the article
LIFT the boat?

That's why I used the word "up"

Doug, I've spent a life time in the Oil refinery measuring liquid flows.
Orifice Plates designed using Reynold numbers
You and Vacanti have not made mention of the large "Gray Area" of the
Reynolds #
between laminar flow and turbulent flow.

Actually it does. Almost all foils will have at least a
small section of laminar flow, some rather odd foils are
designed to work almost entirely in laminar flow... even
odder ones with none. Ever seen a super-cavitating prop?

You also ignored the "Newtonian" factor and just talked Reynolds and
Bernoulli.

Actually, I didn't. I didn't write that web page

... Let us not forget that each created lifting force has a equal
and opposite force. It is important to identify these forces.

Forces are not always equal & opposite, though. If they
were, nothing could ever move. For example, the force
exerted by the wind on the sails heels the boat & drives it
forward. The boat goes faster *until* it creates enough drag
to equal the drive. At that point, forces are equal.

Have you worked on control systems that cycled or hunted? An
example of how difficult it can be to get forces to equalize
smoothly?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Yes Doug,
Have you worked on control systems that cycled or hunted? An example of
how difficult it can be to get forces to equalize smoothly?
That is why PB, Reset, & Dev have been added to those systems

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Thom Stewart wrote:
Yes Doug,
Have you worked on control systems that cycled or hunted? An example of
how difficult it can be to get forces to equalize smoothly?
That is why PB, Reset, & Dev have been added to those systems

Proportional Band also known as Gain

Reset rate can be a very effective way of stopping the
system from hunting, but can also be over done so that the
system is either too fast or too slow... ask Bobsprit which,
after all I've been busted for talking gibberish.

Get him to explain what Dev stands for and what it does too.
I'd like to read that myself.

Regards
Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Here you go... wing keels;`OT Control

Doug,

I think you have Reset & Deviative mixed up but maybe not.
Proportional Band limits the amount of response to the original Off Set
or a proportional amount.

PB will keep cycling down but has a tendancy to "Droop" Not return to
its original value. RESET will make additional correction to return to
original point but with a new correction force.

Deviative (Like Pepper) needs to be added carefully. It is a ampilifier
of the original off set. It forces the PB to a greater correction force.

Doug, that is a rather quick and dirty explaination. If you want more
contact me off line

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Doug,

I think you have Reset & Deviative mixed up but maybe not.
Proportional Band limits the amount of response to the original Off Set
or a proportional amount.

PB will keep cycling down but has a tendancy to "Droop" Not return to
its original value. RESET will make additional correction to return to
original point but with a new correction force.

Deviative (Like Pepper) needs to be added carefully. It is a ampilifier
of the original off set. It forces the PB to a greater correction force.

Doug, that is a rather quick and dirty explaination. If you want more
contact me off line

Thom,
you just reminded me of an old Croydon boy I worked at LBH with. He was a
carpenter but when things were slow in his area, he'd be my helper with the
HVAC controls. We had lots of pneumatics. We later converted the controls to
digital but left the pneumatic actuators in place (to save some cash). When
I left LBH and went to Rohm and Haas, he went to a local school district for
a job. He reported back to me that they wanted to know if he knew anything
about troubleshooting and calibrating pneumatic controls. He said, "I can
usually play with the settings enough to get them working." That was not
the answer they wanted to hear! Needless to say, he didn't get the job.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Scout wrote:
Thom,
you just reminded me of an old Croydon boy I worked at LBH with. He was a
carpenter but when things were slow in his area, he'd be my helper with the
HVAC controls.

Cool... he already had a hammer

.... We had lots of pneumatics. We later converted the controls to
digital but left the pneumatic actuators in place (to save some cash).

Everybody did that. Saved cash plus the first & second
generation digitally controlled linear actuators sucked. The
ones they make now are pretty good but don't trust their
power ratings or their power consumption specs.

The funny thing is that a lot of people justified the switch
in order to save on LP air system & compressor maintenance.

... When
I left LBH and went to Rohm and Haas, he went to a local school district for
a job. He reported back to me that they wanted to know if he knew anything
about troubleshooting and calibrating pneumatic controls. He said, "I can
usually play with the settings enough to get them working." That was not
the answer they wanted to hear! Needless to say, he didn't get the job.

That's where better test-taking skills would have made the
difference. If he'd tossed around a lot of words like
"setpoint" and "proportional band" he'd have been all set.

Regards
Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Scout wrote:
[...]

True!
He probably shouldn't have mentioned kerf when discussing cut-in and cut-out
setpoints.
Scout

Keels: On a Wing and a Prayer Capt. Rob ASA 6 August 3rd 06 04:58 PM
'Wing' canoe paddles? C. Orbin General 0 June 28th 05 05:13 AM
The Beneteau First 235 "wing" is IRON abstrait ASA 40 January 18th 05 05:59 PM
Swing keels and lift keels Hoges in WA General 15 July 14th 04 11:35 AM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM